Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Marina 1st come 1st serve policy??? >

Marina 1st come 1st serve policy???

Notices

Marina 1st come 1st serve policy???

Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marina 1st come 1st serve policy???

I took my formula up to pier 53 in Sandusky OH to have the tranny rebuilt. I took it to them over a guy in medina OH cas they told me they cold have it done in 1-2 days. So I dropped it off last Thursday and they were to work on it Friday and be Saturday. Ray ,the service guy, called me Friday to tell me they didn't get started because they had trouble getting another boat back together. Took longer then they anticipated. I was ok no big deal just get it done.

So Monday they tell me they got it out and got the tranny over to a rebuild shop in port Clinton and they could have it done that day and back together Tuesday. Tuesday comes and they ran behind and it will now be wednesday no biggy. Wednesday comes and still the same Thursday and still the same Friday now saturday I'm hoping that they get it done so I can pick it up and take it out Sunday cause after that I'm on a cruise and the next possible weekend is labor day. Low and behold Saturday comes and still the same

They tell me that they got 8 service calls and they never got to mine. I asked how can they service someone else first when mines been there for a week and he tells me that they have to service the guys at the marina first. I said you never said that when I dropped it off and if that was the case I never would of and all he says is they didn't expect to get busy. And here I am boat less two weekends in a row cause some locals at a marina get served first over me when I'm paying too.

Is this how all marinas run that own docks? I should of stuck with the guy in medina at least he would have been cheaper and probably done by now. My eagerness got me no where.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

You've got guys that are spending thousands a year for dry storage, slips, etc... and you are not. Of course they are going to take care of their guys first.

My advice woudl be to learn to work on stuff yourself and you won't have the problem. Nice to work on your own schedule...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I work 6 days a week from 10am to 9pm. I don't even have close to the equipment to pull a motor. I understand those guys are paying thousands but does that mean it's ok for a service manger to break 5 deadlines. Its not like I'm dropping a few hundred on a impeller job. Try a few thousand in a week on a tranny job.

My point is they should have service guys and shop guys. Sounds like they have one kind of mechanic who does everything from oil changes to motor swaps and that's not fair to me.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
You've got guys that are spending thousands a year for dry storage, slips, etc... and you are not. Of course they are going to take care of their guys first.

My advice woudl be to learn to work on stuff yourself and you won't have the problem. Nice to work on your own schedule...
That is good advise but what the hell happened to customer service? Those guys may be spending thousands a year with them but It's not that hard to be straight up with someone and say "I don't know when we can get to it but we will as soon as possible". You know instead of dicking someone around and and giving them the daily blow off. I have no dog in this fight as I don't even own a boat but that being said that business is no different than any other business. I think you can only do **** like that so much until everyone gets wind and you start to lose business. Seems to me the business end of things have went to a bunch of pussies in the past few years..noones got the balls to be straight up anymore!customer service is a thing of the past!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem a few years ago. I didnt have access to a hoist so I had a local marina hang a new engine for me. The guy charged me over $2K and nickle and dimed me for every nut and bolt. 2 weeks after picking it up, I needed some adjustments made. I brought it back to the local guy and he let it sit for 3 weeks . I got tired of hearing the stories.....so I pulled it out and figured it out my self.

Trust your gut. Sometimes it's better to walk away.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Default Opinions Please

I had a friend who has a bow rider that had his 5.7 motor pulled and rebuilt to a 355 350hp motor and reinstalled in the boat. This included a complete buildup including machine shop work. Nothing was wrong with the boat just wanted more power.

Here is the question. What do you all think should be the maximum amount of time such a job would take??

Factor in other projects that may be ahead of yours.

Two to Three Weeks
One month
Two Months
Three Months
Four Months
Five Months
Six Months
#? Months
Year?

My friends was not delivered for 4.5 months. Do you think this is an excessive time frame?

Just wondering what your experience was with such a repair.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is where clear discussion should take place. If its going to take 4.5 months because the shop is busy, the customer should know this going in. He shouldnt bring it in until the shop is ready. Sometimes things happen...emergancy jobs...the brother in law comes in etc.. I say its best to be straight with people.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

I think they may know, once they have your boat apart, they have your boat hostage. Not right, but they have you in a spot.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I think every business is running thin right now. It might have been ok a few years ago to have a full staff that could perform all the service in a timely manner but with the economy now many companies are running lean just to stay in business. I haven't had a boat for a few years now and I haven't been down to my marina but I can't imagine they're doing blockbuster business, seems to me that the toys are the ones that go first and the industry that we love so much is at the tip of the spear.

My own company is lean, I don't cycle through jobs as quick as I used to because I've scaled way back on labor. I just work more hours to get attempt to move through the work. I tell my customers it'll take a while longer to get to their jobs but that's the nature of the beast right now. It also takes longer to get through their jobs (construction) and I'm loose on giving them a strict time line. But I communicate and they get a job done correctly which is why I'm still in business and many of my peers are at home depot or lowes.

I don't blame the marina for taking care of its bread and butter clients first, they wouldn't be in business much longer if they didn't. I can tell you first hand that if one of my clients that keeps me in business calls for some work I jump there first. Maybe they should have iterated that philosophy to you from the onset and maybe they did get slammed and weren't expecting it. If this marina has a good reputation for the quality of their work then just take a breath and deal with it. You'll go insane otherwise.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

All I hear is a bunch of excuses!! When you say you are going to do something,,,,Do It! Don't give me a bunch of BS! I would take your business elsewhere next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.