Like Tree0Likes

Emerald coast accident

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
  #41
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: marz
My Boats: 30 daytona
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated30 View Post
He was close enough that he knew it. I was surprised they didn't stop to render aid, but there were plenty of people to help, so I have no problem with them. Just surprised.

PC - is there a way to post pics from an iPad?
Had front row seat to the crash! Your lucky for not hurting someone or you or your girlfriend for that matter with your negligent driving.Hope you have learned a valuable lesson from this and respect the water and be more cautious when it comes to going over huge vessel wake!
xceler8 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 AM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: marz
My Boats: 30 daytona
Posts: 2
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Sorry you had an accident! That sucks. Why would the cruiser stop? How far away were they? Big boats throw off big wakes....and you can hit them 1/4 mile away and behind them.....so how would they even know there was a problem? Just trying to understand, and glad everyone survivied.
I agree, it's not the cruisers fault at all. He was just cruising along and the white spectra come speeding along reckless and couldnt maintain control of his boat. Fess up to your mistake and go take a Tres Martin class! It's people like you that make us cat owners pay dearly for insurance!
xceler8 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 AM
  #43
Registered
 
PigNaPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville IN
My Boats: Tidewater 280 cc
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceler8 View Post
I agree, it's not the cruisers fault at all. He was just cruising along and the white spectra come speeding along reckless and couldnt maintain control of his boat. Fess up to your mistake and go take a Tres Martin class! It's people like you that make us cat owners pay dearly for insurance!
Dont agree with that way of thinking at all. In my experience to have "complete" control of anything we'd all would be interested in, it mite as well stay at the dealership because towing these toys is dangerous enough. I am sure this guy didnt want to hurt his copilot, or himself. Nobody out there is free of risk. Risk is why we enjoy hobbies like this, and its the reason we all have insurance...

As a rookie boater, id like to see more
Discussion on how to avoid this type of event instead of picking a guy apart
PigNaPoke is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 01:32 AM
  #44
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Sorry you had an accident! That sucks. Why would the cruiser stop? How far away were they? Big boats throw off big wakes....and you can hit them 1/4 mile away and behind them.....so how would they even know there was a problem? Just trying to understand, and glad everyone survivied.



Just saying.
We passed 2 of them on the way to juan's pagadas,One a 50 Searay, there must of been 10 people on the back of the boat watching people ramp there wake,instigating, they were making the boat make a hell of a roller!!
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 AM
  #45
Registered
 
X-Rated30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monroe, LA
My Boats: 1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports
Posts: 3,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp500efi View Post
I agree, glad everyone is safe. Someone paint the picture here for those that were not there...was the 55 Sea Ray in front and you were approaching at which time you encountered his wake and rolled? or???

We at times have encountered large cruiser wake however it is not their fault when we are way behind them and all of a sudden we come from behind and there are huge wakes thrown from a cruiser or a barge that is minding his/her own business. We just pull back and deal with it.

Just wondering.
I was just surprised they didn't stop. He was in front and we were overtaking.
X-Rated30 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 AM
  #46
Registered
 
X-Rated30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monroe, LA
My Boats: 1997/2010 Spectre Catamaran w/ twin 250XS Sports
Posts: 3,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceler8 View Post
I agree, it's not the cruisers fault at all. He was just cruising along and the white spectra come speeding along reckless and couldnt maintain control of his boat. Fess up to your mistake and go take a Tres Martin class! It's people like you that make us cat owners pay dearly for insurance!
I never said it was the cruiser's fault, and I apologize if our accident has an effect on your insurance. I thank you for encouraging everyone to take driving courses and to be safe. I hope you never have to experience what we did. I was driving the boat and I was responsible. Period. I appreciate your perspective on the accident. What was the cause? Too much trim? Hitting the wake at the wrong angle? Too much speed? Too little seat time in the boat? Did you come render aid? I don't remember a Daytona being there after the accident, but I was pretty dazed. We went to dinner tonight and I ran into the lady that jumped into the water while I was helping Katie, and I didn't remember her either.
X-Rated30 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 AM
  #47
Registered
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
tomtbone1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LAKE CONROE, TX
My Boats: 42 FOUNTAIN / MALIBU
Posts: 15,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rated30 View Post
I never said it was the cruiser's fault, and I apologize if our accident has an effect on your insurance. I thank you for encouraging everyone to take driving courses and to be safe. I hope you never have to experience what we did. I was driving the boat and I was responsible. Period. I appreciate your perspective on the accident. What was the cause? Too much trim? Hitting the wake at the wrong angle? Too much speed? Too little seat time in the boat? Did you come render aid? I don't remember a Daytona being there after the accident, but I was pretty dazed. We went to dinner tonight and I ran into the lady that jumped into the water while I was helping Katie, and I didn't remember her either.
Glad you guys are safe and OK....
tomtbone1993 is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 AM
  #48
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Double Rigged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
My Boats: 308 Skater w/ 300x's
Posts: 1,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigNaPoke View Post
Dont agree with that way of thinking at all. In my experience to have "complete" control of anything we'd all would be interested in, it mite as well stay at the dealership because towing these toys is dangerous enough. I am sure this guy didnt want to hurt his copilot, or himself. Nobody out there is free of risk. Risk is why we enjoy hobbies like this, and its the reason we all have insurance...

As a rookie boater, id like to see more
Discussion on how to avoid this type of event instead of picking a guy apart
We are all glad everyone is ok and I am sorry for anyone involved in a accident of that type. Regarding your comment though, Risk is part of what we do. You need to be careful on how much risk you are willing to take. We all have pushed the envelope. In that type of situation you ALWAYS have control. You are holding the throttles and the wheel. If things get hairy you SLOW down. I dont know about you but I have insurance for theft, fire and if some inexperienced boater hits me not to go out and push the envelope.
My advice to you as a rookie boater. Use your head. Dont put others at risk with things you can control. This has been a tough summer with people getting hurt.

Let's hope this is the last time we read about something like this for a while.
Be safe everyone.
Double Rigged is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM
  #49
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
My Boats: '85 Supreme Sierra
Posts: 1,097
Default

We can all look back on what we would have done differently, but I for one am real thankful a fellow boater has no more permanent damage then a month of major soreness and a bruised ego! I've been caught off guard by a wake left by a 60ft cruiser at 50-60ish in a v-bottom and I'm a careful driver, so it will happen to us all, especially in a competitive poker run environment! Cameron glad you and Katie are both alright!
machloosy is offline  
Old 08-15-2011, 09:00 AM
  #50
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
LAriverratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springfield, Louisiana
My Boats: 32 Sunsation SSR, 308 skater,( #1-28 skater sold), 24' Xpress
Posts: 3,414
Default

glad you and your wife are ok. Hope you two feel better soon.

Hope the spectra is not too bad off either
LAriverratt is offline  
Closed Thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.