Notices

Emerald coast accident

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xceler8
Had front row seat to the crash! Your lucky for not hurting someone or you or your girlfriend for that matter with your negligent driving.Hope you have learned a valuable lesson from this and respect the water and be more cautious when it comes to going over huge vessel wake!
Welcome to OSO. I started this thread to find out what happened to a fellow member. I did not start this thread so we could bash or speculate on why this happened. So let's keep it civil and be thankful that a friend and member is OK.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Welcome to OSO. I started this thread to find out what happened to a fellow member. I did not start this thread so we could bash or speculate on why this happened. So let's keep it civil and be thankful that a friend and member is OK.
+1, could not have said it any better....lessons have been learned, by us all.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
I never said it was the cruiser's fault, and I apologize if our accident has an effect on your insurance. I thank you for encouraging everyone to take driving courses and to be safe. I hope you never have to experience what we did. I was driving the boat and I was responsible. Period. I appreciate your perspective on the accident. What was the cause? Too much trim? Hitting the wake at the wrong angle? Too much speed? Too little seat time in the boat? Did you come render aid? I don't remember a Daytona being there after the accident, but I was pretty dazed. We went to dinner tonight and I ran into the lady that jumped into the water while I was helping Katie, and I didn't remember her either.
I will add to the feeling of thank God no one was seriously hurt. Yes its a thrilling sport with some danger but no one wants to get hurt or killed. NOW - What about the life jacket question?? Were you wearing one and if so what kind? The wife and I are both high school competetive swimmers but we are going to go buy some of the light weight inflatable type to wear while under way. Anyone with experience with these? We could start another thread.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

I saw these posts and decided to wait and see how everyone else responded.

Had front row seat to the crash! Your lucky for not hurting someone or you or your girlfriend for that matter with your negligent driving.Hope you have learned a valuable lesson from this and respect the water and be more cautious when it comes to going over huge vessel wake!
I agree, it's not the cruisers fault at all. He was just cruising along and the white spectra come speeding along reckless and couldnt maintain control of his boat. Fess up to your mistake and go take a Tres Martin class! It's people like you that make us cat owners pay dearly for insurance!
All of us are glad everyone is alright and certainly the discussion can lead to everyone being a little bit more educated, careful and prepared.

You don't need to come on this site and be a 2-post douchebag. We don't take kindly to strangers walking up to our campfire offering a mini-lecture. Perhaps you could adopt a tone that doesn't sound like Dad lecturing his child about playing with matches.

Hopefully, we are not someday reading a thread about you doing something hypocritical like making an error and causing a bad wreck.

Last edited by LaughingCat; 08-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everyone's OK from this incident.

....you could not see the size of the wake until you were right by it
I'm not in any way mkaing a commentary to this particular situation -- just making a general personal observation -- but when I see a large cruiser....cruising at some speed, or idling - my brain goes into universal "huge wake ahead" default mode -- and I throttle back or just generally go on red alert and proceed with caution.

That said, I'm probably more sensitive to large cruiser wakes since I"m in a 28' lake boat -- versus those with larger wave crushing ocean going boats.

I2D
Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
I will add to the feeling of thank God no one was seriously hurt. Yes its a thrilling sport with some danger but no one wants to get hurt or killed. NOW - What about the life jacket question?? Were you wearing one and if so what kind? The wife and I are both high school competetive swimmers but we are going to go buy some of the light weight inflatable type to wear while under way. Anyone with experience with these? We could start another thread.

I have also thought about this and don't think that an inflatable would be the best choice. What if it fails and does not inflate? I know that wearing a full life jacket sucks but the protection that it offers on your chest, ribs and back are worth it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I have also thought about this and don't think that an inflatable would be the best choice. What if it fails and does not inflate? I know that wearing a full life jacket sucks but the protection that it offers on your chest, ribs and back are worth it.
Just went through something like this, one was ejected and i sayed in the boat. Neither one had life jackets , we only had a short run from a raftoff back to the marina and neither one of us saw what we hit.I spent 4 days in the trama center for ruptured spleen ,cut liver , broken ribs , and a arm that is still numb from shoulder to elbow.I always were a life jacket when on a poker run or out running hard so you never no when its going to happen. I wish i would of had mine on it may have saved the internal parts from getting messed up. This happened at about 55 to 60 mph. At least we are both still here like you two everything esle is replacable.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, accidents happens, it sucks when they do .. we all hope to avoid them but, try as we might it does..just do your best to avoid them and learn from our mistakes..
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know those Lifeline vests are excellent but aren't they bulky? You think we could wear them with our weather the way its been?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fasthawk6
Just went through something like this, one was ejected and i sayed in the boat. Neither one had life jackets , we only had a short run from a raftoff back to the marina and neither one of us saw what we hit.I spent 4 days in the trama center for ruptured spleen ,cut liver , broken ribs , and a arm that is still numb from shoulder to elbow.I always were a life jacket when on a poker run or out running hard so you never no when its going to happen. I wish i would of had mine on it may have saved the internal parts from getting messed up. This happened at about 55 to 60 mph. At least we are both still here like you two everything esle is replacable.
What size boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.