Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/260412-idiot-blowboater-gets-demasted-tanker.html)

pstorti 08-16-2011 09:42 PM

idiot blowboater gets demasted by a tanker

http://deadspin.com/5829755/slow-and...-through-yacht

why do sailors always think they have the right of way???

Nightlife1970 08-16-2011 09:50 PM

Not sure...but doesn't a sail boat have right of way over a power boat? Not sure how it would apply to a tanker though.

pstorti 08-16-2011 10:06 PM

the tanker has right of way, when there is a doubt it is the less maneuverable vessel, although in this case there is no doubt who had right of way and it doesn't matter that the sailors are "racing"

Expensive Date 08-16-2011 10:14 PM

What kind of idiot does not stop a regatta when they see that thing coming.The had safety boats right there????

pullmytrigger 08-16-2011 10:24 PM

Hey blowboat a-hole....how'd that work out for ya'???? LMAO!

onesickpantera 08-16-2011 10:51 PM

"No one was injured. The yacht has penis envy."

LMAO

bobonthis 08-17-2011 12:04 AM

sail boat racing..lol..must be some real adrenline junkies!

Rattlesnake Jake 08-17-2011 04:45 AM

What's the Old saying? "Took the wind out of his sails".:lolhit:

Griswald 08-17-2011 05:38 AM

Right of Weight wins

CigDaze 08-17-2011 06:29 AM

The law of tonnage always prevails! :D

machloosy 08-17-2011 07:06 AM

We can make it! We can make it!! We can make itt!!! Damn... We just lost our pink sail

Donzi Dude 08-17-2011 07:27 AM

This didn't happen in US waters so I don't know what rules apply there but if it was here the sail boat had rirgt of way.
Tha tanker was not in a channel and was not limited by space.

LaughingCat 08-17-2011 07:32 AM

What a complete douchebag. Is he going to raise his protest flag and wait for the tanker crew to state their case in the skipper's meeting?

halffast 08-17-2011 07:36 AM

Makes me wanna go get me a tanker and run thru sail boats and jet skis.Ooops sorry .... next. hf...

Philm 08-17-2011 07:40 AM

A vessel under sail always has the right of way over a power driven vessel. The only exception is a vessel not under command, which has right of way over everything, or a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver. Some could argue that the tanker was a vessel constrained by draft, however this designation of vessel does not have any additional permissions as per the rules of the road.

The tanker is not a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, as this designation is restricted to vessels who "due to the nature of their work" are restricted in this ability. The tanker is in no way restricted in her ability to maneuver and does not meet any classifications of a vessel in this criteria.

In all truth, it is the fault of both captains. As the rules clearly state that nothing in the rules shall exonerate any master from a collision. It is the duty of every mariner to avoid collisions, regardless of what rule they are following.

So yes, it was the tankers fault, but usually people on yachts are smart enough to get out of the way.

LaughingCat 08-17-2011 08:03 AM

It's not like the tanker was hard to see. It's bright friggin orange! I'll bet his friends all listened to him bellow about how he had the right of way. Meanwhile, his junk is being hoisted out and the repair bill is adding up.

CigDaze 08-17-2011 08:10 AM

I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway, and constrained by her draft. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

I'd invoke Rule 18b, and Rule 9.

Additionally, how about some common friggin' sense.

:)

kreed 08-17-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3480937)
I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

100% Agreed! Not to mention, Ive run into some sail boaters that think they are a moving no wake zone! Annoying.....

E Colby 08-17-2011 08:19 AM

The worst is misinformed sailors who think they have right of way even when they are under power because they are a sailbote. That's why, when I was at Boating magazine we always spelled it wrong, "sailbote," to mock them. It always got them all lathered up.

GLH 08-17-2011 08:20 AM

I disagree with those stating it's the tanker's fault. I contend that it was the sailboat's fault, on the premise that the tanker is limited in her ability to maneuver and that she can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway, and constrained by her draft. Never mind the simple laws of gross tonnage.

I think your right.

In any event... I'm sure the blowboater has a great interpretation that will make him right in his mind...

But in my best Ron White voice... "How'd that work out for yahh?"

Audiofn 08-17-2011 08:46 AM

As I recal there is also a rule on manuverability.

Not like that think can stop or turn on a dime. Takes a LONG LONG time for them to stop and turn.

CigDaze 08-17-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3480984)
As I recal there is also a rule on manuverability.

Not like that think can stop or turn on a dime. Takes a LONG LONG time for them to stop and turn.

Right.

RULE 3g
"The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel."

RULE 18b
"A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
1. a vessel not under command;
2. a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver;
3. a vessel engaged in fishing."

cabin fever 08-17-2011 09:01 AM

In my world, the boat that is 1000 times the size of my boat, always has the right away.

glassdave 08-17-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3480998)
. . . . . 3. a vessel engaged in fishing. . . . .

hmmm . . . . interesting . . . . . i think i may just keep a line dragging at all times of one of my rear cleats and claim i was trolling. :D

Originally Posted by cabin fever (Post 3481010)
In my world, the boat that is 1000 times the size of my boat, always has the right away.

lmao . . . . yep . . . . cant argue with that :D

pullmytrigger 08-17-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 3480998)
1. a vessel not under command;
[/I]

Whats this mean??.....a vessel where the captain is in the can taking a s hit???......or is too hammered and had to go lay down???

seriously....what does that mean???

pullmytrigger 08-17-2011 09:08 AM

Hahahaha!!!!...no kidding!!:drink::drink:

t500hps 08-17-2011 09:08 AM

That sailbote was racing...those aren't novice skippers. They were probably betting they could pass a slow moving freighter and stay on the "upwind" side of it. Passing behind it would mean the wind would be taken from their sails. Of course it didn't work out so well.

BTW: Due to manueverability a tanker SHOULD have right-of-way regardless of what the book says.

GLH 08-17-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 3481021)
Whats this mean??.....a vessel where the captain is in the can taking a s hit???......or is too hammered and had to go lay down???

Anchored.

CigDaze 08-17-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 3481021)

RULE 3f
"The term "vessel not under command" means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel."

CigDaze 08-17-2011 09:42 AM

That's what I call the common sense rule.

CNC 08-17-2011 09:49 AM

Typical arrogant blow boater... I catch so much flack about my noisy, hydro carbon burning boat from them at my marina. But I would love to see them maneuver around the marina w/out there's.

MnFastBoat 08-17-2011 09:57 AM

Could not read the posting, but reading the nav pages I found this to be interesting! Not saying my little 28' boat falls in, but first thing that came to mind was how many performance boaters know about this? Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.

Federal Law

The “Rules of the Road”, which were enacted in 1980, are contained in a book called “Navigation Rules; International-Inland” COMDINST M16672.2D and published March 25th, 1999. You can download a copy of the rules from the USCG (http://www.navcenter.org./mwv/mwv_fi...s/navrules.pdf) or purchase it from either the US Government Printing Office or at your local marine supplier.

Every boater should be familiar with the “Rules of the Road”. Just as you are supposed to be familiar with the vehicle and traffic laws, you should be familiar with the nautical rules as well. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. . . .” Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Common Law (1881).

Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.

Harvey 08-17-2011 10:02 AM

Law of Gross Tonnage

The law, which is more common sense then explicitly written in the code, goes like this: “The heavier vessel always has the right-of-way.”

Harvey 08-17-2011 10:03 AM

The above post came out of this book. Federal Law

The “Rules of the Road”, which were enacted in 1980, are contained in a book called “Navigation Rules; International-Inland” COMDINST M16672.2D and published March 25th, 1999. You can download a copy of the rules from the USCG (http://www.navcenter.org./mwv/mwv_fi...s/navrules.pdf) or purchase it from either the US Government Printing Office or at your local marine supplier.

Every boater should be familiar with the “Rules of the Road”. Just as you are supposed to be familiar with the vehicle and traffic laws, you should be familiar with the nautical rules as well. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. . . .” Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Common Law (1881).

Please note: all vessels that are 39.4 feet or larger are required by federal law to have a copy of this book on their vessel at all times.

of this book.

PhantomChaos 08-17-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by CNC (Post 3481077)
Typical arrogant blow boater... I catch so much flack about my noisy, hydro carbon burning boat from them at my marina. But I would love to see them maneuver around the marina w/out there's.

I doubt that the guy wanted to get run down. He probably mistook distances and speeds and figured he could make it around the bow of the tanker and before he could change course he pannicked and was beyond the point of no return.

glassdave 08-17-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by CNC (Post 3481077)

we have a similar dispute (mostly good natured) with the blow boaters in one of our marinas. Our contention is they make more noise collectively over time with the constant clanging of their rigging blowing in the wind 24/7 then we do on our short but fast run times :drink:

tell ya what though, one of the guys has absolutely no prob maneuvering his almost thirty footer anywhere within the confines of the marina with wind alone. I have seen him bop in an out and even make a quick turn around just to pull in an empty slip to say hi to someone. Its very impressive to watch an these are not slow/no wind moves. He gets around better then alot of guys do under power.

Matt Trulio 08-17-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by E Colby (Post 3480948)
The worst is misinformed sailors who think they have right of way even when they are under power because they are a sailbote. That's why, when I was at Boating magazine we always spelled it wrong, "sailbote," to mock them. It always got them all lathered up.

Pot-stirrer.

From http://www.worsleyschool.net/science on supertankers

"The immense size of these ships, as well as the heavy loads they carry, mean that each supertanker has enormous inertia.

"A crash stop maneuver (from 'full ahead' to 'full reverse') can stop a fully loaded supertanker within approximately three kilometres, which takes about 14 minutes. The turning diameter is almost two kilometres."

That falls under "limited maneuverability" in my admittedly unscientific book.

All that said, from the angle of the video it's impossible to make any definitive call on what, exactly, happenend. The sailbote (thank you Mr. Colby) could have been trying like hell to get out of the way. The tanker captain might have initiated and "evasive maneuver" that didn't actually take effect until the sailbote was long gone in its wake.

Regardless ... oops.

E Colby 08-17-2011 11:51 AM

Pot stirring aside. I know that freighters have schedules and deadlines to make, but in this country, at least, doesn't the Coast Guard post notices to mariners about sanctioned events taking place in a given body of water? Usually commercial vessels take note of these notices and stay out of the area until the event is over. Or at least that's how I interpreted things.

PhantomChaos 08-17-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by E Colby (Post 3481222)
Pot stirring aside. I know that freighters have schedules and deadlines to make, but in this country, at least, doesn't the Coast Guard post notices to mariners about sanctioned events taking place in a given body of water? Usually commercial vessels take note of these notices and stay out of the area until the event is over. Or at least that's how I interpreted things.

Catalina ski race.......catalina flyer has a schedule to keep......move out of the way. :D

glassdave 08-17-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by E Colby (Post 3481222)

when we race in St Clair and Port Huron race control keeps in contact with the USCG and the freighters will adjust their speed to accommodate the race whenever possible. They actually do a pretty good job of either clearing of holding off in the area.