Like Tree0Likes

Just Bought a 1978 Cary 50

Reply
Old 08-19-2011, 09:47 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Default Just Bought a 1978 Cary 50

May have bitten off more than I can chew, but anyone know where I can find some upgrade parts (boxes,seats,etc.) or just general accessories? Thanks in advance
jas75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
  #2
Registered
Platinum Member
 
THEJOKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Lanier - N. Georgia
My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf
Posts: 6,307
Default

Congrats. Need pics
THEJOKER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 PM
  #3
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
lucky strike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida
My Boats: Using LS JR. TG
Posts: 8,468
Default

I have a friend with a Cary 50, but it is a sedan with a flying bridge with diesels

What model did you buy?
__________________
www.mercedeshowroom.com
lucky strike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Default

It's a 50 express.....I think.....Ha. I have 0 experience with these types of boats. I bought it from a very long time friend of my grandfathers (deceased) and he was getting rid of all his toys. He rigged it with twin Detroit 60 series diesels with custom oil coolers and a bunch of other stuff I know little about. The boat once belonged to Red Adair and "Miss" Jesse Williams (real life best little whore house in Texas lady). With all that said it's a '78 and me being 36 years old would like to do a little updating to it. Overall nice boat though. Will try to post some pics if possible.
jas75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 PM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
articfriends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankenmuth
My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW
Posts: 6,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
It's a 50 express.....I think.....Ha. I have 0 experience with these types of boats. I bought it from a very long time friend of my grandfathers (deceased) and he was getting rid of all his toys. He rigged it with twin Detroit 60 series diesels with custom oil coolers and a bunch of other stuff I know little about. The boat once belonged to Red Adair and "Miss" Jesse Williams (real life best little whore house in Texas lady). With all that said it's a '78 and me being 36 years old would like to do a little updating to it. Overall nice boat though. Will try to post some pics if possible.
I did find this about Red Adair-he owned a 60 foot boat and:
People often identified Red with speed. He drove a red MG convertible that was the fastest thing on wheels. Red also had a 50-foot Scarab speedboat with three 420-cubic inch engines.
articfriends is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 AM
  #6
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
My Boats: Team Baja's 38 Poker Run Special
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
May have bitten off more than I can chew, but anyone know where I can find some upgrade parts (boxes,seats,etc.) or just general accessories? Thanks in advance
CONGRATS !!!

Post some pic's and ask what your looking for on the correct forum, you will get help.
I seriously doubt you bit off more than you could chew but if you really feel you did then this is the place to move it.
Welcome aboard.

See ya,
Kelly
huskyrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 AM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Spring, TX
My Boats: 2000 Scarab 29' w/ 650 hp SC twins
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
I did find this about Red Adair-he owned a 60 foot boat and:
People often identified Red with speed. He drove a red MG convertible that was the fastest thing on wheels. Red also had a 50-foot Scarab speedboat with three 420-cubic inch engines.
He also had a red Rolls Royce at one time, I saw it at Post Oak Motors one time and it stuck out just a little
SunsationLarry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:45 AM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
I did find this about Red Adair-he owned a 60 foot boat and:
People often identified Red with speed. He drove a red MG convertible that was the fastest thing on wheels. Red also had a 50-foot Scarab speedboat with three 420-cubic inch engines.
Not that it matters but I have the title history on the boat. When I get back to the office I'll let you know wat he had it registered under. I do know for a fact that getting this thing transported has been a pain in the ass so far. Leaving in the morning to head back to Texas to remove wheels, enclosures, etc. What forum sould I be posting this under? Thanks in advance.
jas75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
My Boats: Team Baja's 38 Poker Run Special
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Not that it matters but I have the title history on the boat. When I get back to the office I'll let you know wat he had it registered under. I do know for a fact that getting this thing transported has been a pain in the ass so far. Leaving in the morning to head back to Texas to remove wheels, enclosures, etc. What forum sould I be posting this under? Thanks in advance.
I'd say general discussion is the proper forum.
I know the headache of a long distance purchase.
I contracted a purchase in January and wasn't able to get my surveys/seatrial until mid May due to the long winter they had.
Getting the boat from New Hampshire to Texas was the easiest part of my transaction thanks to OSO member Pat at OSP tranport. If your looking for a good service and he's local at the moment you can't go wrong utilizing his service. He's based up in Maryland but hauls boats all over the northeast and southeast. He quoted me right to the minute when he'd be at our marina over 2000 miles away 2 days prior when he picked up the boat. WOW !!!

Post some pic's, we'd love to see this boat.

See ya,
Kelly
huskyrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 PM
  #10
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

This is pretty cool keep us posted!
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.