Tech section. What happened? >

Tech section. What happened?

Notices

Tech section. What happened?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Mild, what oil should I use in my 502
Also don`t ever go in The Baja section looking for parts without your knee pads. You say the wrong thing to one of the Baja Gods and you will be banned from getting any parts for LIFE!!
Those douche bags turned me off to this whole place.

Now get back to making them hatches so you can make this weekend!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mild, what oil should I use in my 502
Also don`t ever go in The Baja section looking for parts without your knee pads. You say the wrong thing to one of the Baja Gods and you will be banned from getting any parts for LIFE!!
Those douche bags turned me off to this whole place.

Now get back to making them hatches so you can make this weekend!
That kind of $hit doesnt happen in the Fountain Forum.

As for what kind of oil, I recommend running 7 quarts of Lucas oil treatment in your engines, and a quart of seafoam. The seafoam will help keep the valves from sticking in their guides, but the lucas will seal up your rings better for more horsepower.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Ya know someone is going to read that and give it a try
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered

I am totally for offering any advice to help a do-it-yourselfer out, if I can. I still learn stuff daily, and at one time knew absolutly nothing.

The thing that I think sucks, is the participation issue. I had a buddy of mine, that was on the boat forums. He would NEVER post anything until he had a problem. When he had a problem, he wanted a cheap fix, plain and simple. He would come to the boards, post his problem, get some answers, and then he would be done with it. Granted he wasn't gonna tell someone how to adjust their valves, or tune their carbs, he still could have joined in on other discussions. He would razz me, and ask why I would get so in depth in some of the threads. And ask why I give a $hit about what some guy in texas needs help with. IDK, maybe i like helping people, or maybe its because im sort of a gear head.

Granted their is alot of bs in the forums, but I think guys like Eddie Young, Raylar, Dustin Whipple, and all the others chiming in to advise people is a tremendous help to us do-it-yourselfers, and is just good business. I have never spent a doller with Eddie Young yet, but have talked to him over the phone, and thru many emails. If I ever get serious about some engines, I would without the blink of an eye, have him build my engines for me. Good people.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Ya know someone is going to read that and give it a try
Well the bottle says it helps reduce blowby. Cheaper than adding puke tanks.

Speaking that, has anyone else who frequents the auto parts stores like me, just about had it with them pushing the injector cleaner!!!! lol, jesus, I was in the store the other day, the guy was pushing it on me while I was buying aluminum polish. I told him I dont own a car, the polish is for my bicycle. Two weeks before that, they were again pushing the injector cleaner. Telling me how it will clean my injectors, improve mpg, etc. I told him my truck runs on propane, and I wasnt sure if I can use it. He said he doesnt see why not. I said maybe next time.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Ray,
I disagree somewhat with your assessment. There are those who you describe. Most of the people I know, who are into performance boats, work on them as a hobby. For me it is relaxing to do general maintainence and uncomplicated repairs. It is a release from my everyday stresses. Also, the marine repair business has been notorious for taking a long time for repairs and repairs done wrong. There are great shops, like Eddie Young who does my stuff, but there is a long history of problem shops. I can remember growing up being without our boat because the shop needed a couple months to replace trim lines, etc.... I am a perfectionist about my things. I dread taking anything to a shop. Always a new scratch here oil stains there, crud in the boat where they left it outside. (Eddie not included)
To be real honest, if I didn't enjoy maintaining my boats, I wouldn't have any. I'm sure you fit into the class of a professional who does things right, but a lot of people on the boards do not have access to shops near them.
I am thankful to have Eddie to do real jobs for me. We need professionals like this who do take the time to answer questions on the board. I am thankful for the pros who take the time to share there knowledge on the boards.
Relax a little Ray, when us hackers mess up the job, we will have to pay you even more to get it right in the long run.
I agree, well said skidoc. Not being able to control the duration or cost of a repair forced me many years ago to do it all myself. Now I wouldn't think of sending my stuff to anyone else and have a good time trying to help others who are at the beginning of the L curve.

BT
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Our friendship is based solely on the cheap advice you dispense. When you no longer provide such information at such an agreeable cost, I will kick yo' butt to the curb.

See ya Friday.
tough guy!!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a good example of what Thunder is talking about
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...my-engine.html

I think the thought process of this thread is borderline pretentious, but I agree. Many times I tell non performance owners there are better places for info rather than the ultra high performance website we all know as OSO. I read a thread not to long ago that had a guy with a powersteering problem on a 3.0 4 cyl. Why here? But, I made the mistake of buying a cruiser this year.....and I am still here. But I haven't started a thread about how to fix my combination macerator/windlass/bow thruster either

Still my favorite boating website! I have been helped more times than I can count on this site. I am gonna need you guys next year when I enter back into the twin engine performance boating world!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What I was trying to say is that many of these newer members with low post counts, like maybe three to four, have come onto the Forum for just quick cheap advice. They are not performance boaters and you can tell that quite a few from their lack of continuing participation or contribution on the Forum have just registered and joined the Forum for for this free advise and problem solving. I am not saying that all new members are guilty of this, many are just newbies and will grow with the performance boating community.
If you look back at a few of their posts in the Q&A section you will see what I mean by these comments. Again, not saying to offend or criticize OSO'ers, just trying to point out a new and growing trend.
The concern I also have is that you can tell by some of the questions and input that many times these individuals are out of their skill set and are many times just going to get into bigger problems and continuing issues because the "HAVE NO CLUE!" Hence the brain surgeon comment.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 08-31-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think some of it might be that offshoreonly.com comes up in a google search right away when you google "powerboat Forums". Its easy to sign up and start posting.

When I joined back in 2004, it seemed like a closer knit community of go fast boaters, who had one common interest. Now it has become more bashing, politics, and more or less a marketplace.

Dont get me wrong, i love the swap shop!! The classifieds are great, although I could do without some of the "repeat" dealer ad's.
Man does this sum it up these day's, I have been around for a while now and mostly just lurk now day's. Even in the old day's it was more close knit with good natured jabs......just my .02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.