Like Tree0Likes

Don Aronow Memorial Race...Sept 24th

Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
dude you sound like a broken record, what boat do you own and what class are you running. I understand the fee, been there wish we were ready for next week but going out for a test run doesn't give me time to dial in the boat. after looking at my X dim, I laughed and said I hope we get on plane for a test run wens or thurs.I was hoping for more logistics this year with where gas is 93 or 100. I think there needs to be more info on the race, then more people will come.I hope theres enough boats to race to get more out there next year. I never saw a 600 fee ,I just looked at the threads here. but if someone asks about a boat count it should be listed without getting lip service from you. me I thought I was going to be ready back in june we have maybe 5 to 8 hours before starting it up then get the bugs out so its to close for me but I hope it runs well the race. but more info is needed like the race down south its only 120 mile one lap. good luck Charlie and Bill.

broken record? lipservice for asking something one time? how about the guy that asked the same question 5 times.

so your gonna give me lip service?

i know there is every excuse in the world not to race and if one dont have a good one sure as **** they will come up with one.

i dont mean to sound like a prick but i only care about boats that are showing up.

telling someone how to run a race that has been there done that when you have zero experiance doing it is lip service.

if you needed info you had all year to contact Billy.

Last edited by wanab; 09-19-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post
broken record? lipservice for asking something one time? how about the guy that asked the same question 5 times.

so your gonna give me lip service?

i know there is every excuse in the world not to race and if one dont have a good one sure as **** they will come up with one.

i dont mean to sound like a prick but i only care about boats that are showing up.
telling someone how to run a race that has been there done that when you have zero experiance doing it is lip service.

if you needed info you had all year to contact Billy.
Is there a list of the boats that this prick cares about ?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Default Entries

Knocking all the banter to one side,here we are one year on and it appears there is still a struggle to get entries.
With all the big names missing yet again,are we really saying all we want from National racing is expensive fast boats going round on short circuits.We think we can go on forever increasing speeds and potential accidents ,when surely there will come a realization that what it`s basically about is man against the elements in managable budget boats,on courses that test both driver and navigator skills to the limit.

This where,in the UK we have begun to provide just such races.Ask a driver which is the more satisfying,winning the Cowes -Torquay or one of the many U.S. National races,prize money apart.OK there is more competiton in the U.S. but is this the be all end all.

Promoting true offshore races one would have thought ,would have energised the powerboaters but sadly not so,which is a real mystery.I just wonder what all the big names from the past would make of it all now.Now that would make an interesting thread!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
Is there a list of the boats that this prick cares about ?
Still the same answer from our hero!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: "Tinker Toy" - 2001 Baja 252 Islander

Heck, I would love to take our boat around Long Island, race or not! That would be a terrific accomplishment as far as I am concerned. My hat's off to all those that enter this race and I was particularly impressed with last years effort. That is grass roots racing and something I believe we can all identify with.

As Steve1 pointed out in his execellent PowerPlay post, events like this are the reason we have performance boating as we know it today and the ensuing development is the reason that we can feel reasonably safe and confident that the boat will not sink out from under us when it hits the first wave.

I love the idea of long distance offshore racing and while I will most likely never compete in one, I appreciate the efforts of all those that do compete in and organize these events . These events embody the allure and the romance of performance boating and as such are important to me and my boating experiences and I'm glad to see they haven't totally dissapeared.

To those that are competing, good luck and enjoy. I look forward to reading about your adventures in this years event.

Dan
Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying fish View Post
Knocking all the banter to one side,here we are one year on and it appears there is still a struggle to get entries.
With all the big names missing yet again,are we really saying all we want from National racing is expensive fast boats going round on short circuits.We think we can go on forever increasing speeds and potential accidents ,when surely there will come a realization that what it`s basically about is man against the elements in managable budget boats,on courses that test both driver and navigator skills to the limit.

This where,in the UK we have begun to provide just such races.Ask a driver which is the more satisfying,winning the Cowes -Torquay or one of the many U.S. National races,prize money apart.OK there is more competiton in the U.S. but is this the be all end all.

Promoting true offshore races one would have thought ,would have energised the powerboaters but sadly not so,which is a real mystery.I just wonder what all the big names from the past would make of it all now.Now that would make an interesting thread!
I think what sickens me the most is that there are certain members here that seem to not want to participate due to the fact that there are no free t-shirts and a free buffet.

If it truly is the entry fee, I understand. Times are tough. But don't skip this opportunity because the party doesn't meet with your standards.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 1978 Cigarette 24 - APBA A-46 "Lap Dancer", 1989 Scarab Excel 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS930 View Post
Still the same answer from our hero!
Wow...now it all makes sense!!

Here all this time I though SS390, catastrophe, 2fast9tech2 were just making a lame attempt to create negative buzz around this event, evidently because of a personal conflict with Mr. Frenz...and even go as far as an outright attempt to embarrass him personally...all just to make them feel better about their boring lives.

I just couldn't understand why they would try to be so antagonistic about this event and more so about a man that has not only been involved as an active successful participant in Offshore Racing since the early 70s...but has also been organizing Offshore Boating Events/Races since the mid 70s...oh, and has probably organized more such events than ANYONE....... it just made no sense to me why they would disrespect someone so publicly who has actually "Walked the Walk" instead of just "Talking the Talk"...but now I understand.

My misunderstandings have all been cleared up with some top secret video footage that was just sent to me...you see, all along these guys have just been sandbagging us, their actions here have partly been an effort to reduce the entry list, and partly to buy them more time, ...here's why.

It seems they have formed their own Offshore Racing Team, and have been working hard to iron out all of the details on their new boat and even practicing communication, seating positions, etc. They are obviously determined to win this race and have the bragging rights no matter what it takes!!

Don't believe me....here is the proof...just released top secret footage of the Team from "Lake X".......
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ynqPsM0pCY[/Youtube]

Don't be mislead by that video...here is one of them from last week.....the progress they made since then is astounding!!
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ3STA4U4xQ[/Youtube]

OH....their progress is even more impressive when you see this video of their hull testing from just 2 weeks ago.....
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzAldiMjdrU[/Youtube]

All of the guys that actually Race and put these events together for REAL, instead of spending all their time posting BS on Forums...should be worried....very worried indeed!!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

My Boats: Sonic 358 Diablo

I am trying to not get involved with the bickering here, but hasn't any one ever been to a club in Manhatten that had a HUGE line outside and after a long wait to be let in, only to find an empty club. Then a few weeks later you can't get in the place at all....it's called marketing.......trying to create a buzz......usually done when someone is trying to get something off the ground........is it the most honest thing in the world ? No, but it does often work and it is for the growing of the "event". If the promoters came out today and said they only have two entries you can rest assure those would be the only two come race day......now after the great story from last year of the big boats bailing out but the Sonic finishing the race the promoters would hope to get a few more entrants......ok maby not 20 but lets say 3 or 4.......not a huge number to brag about but an up swing from last year and the race would go on.......then it turns out that there was an actual battle for the checkered flag......that then may lead to some trash talking over the next year.....making it a little bit better the following year.........you guys see where I am going with this........If you have an axe to grind about how you were treated at a poker run, okay.......make a separate thread for it......why do it here and hurt an event that one day could be a big thing........discoureging people from racing only hurts the event which in turn hurts us who enjoy it.........Is this event as big as the Shootout ? No, but I would love to know how many ran in the Shootout the 1st year........I am guessing it was a few guys on the lake with no one watching, no trophies, and only there egoes being boosted........maybe the loser had to buy the 1st round........With all that being said, we who have attended Billy's runs are fully aware they are not as "glamorous" as a Florida Powerboat Club run or a SCOPE run but they are a great day out on the water with other like minded people who have a passion for the same thing as us.......are they pricey ? A little bit, but why can't a guy try and make a few bucks off of something I am sure he puts a huge effert into..........this leads me to my final thoughts, ....the 1st being capitalism......if Billy can profit by hosting an event like he does then kudos to him, if someone thinks they can do better for less $$ then they have every right to make a go of it and ....the 2nd being freedom of choice, if you don't like it then pass on it.......GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO RACE THIS WEEKEND !!!!! and Good Luck to Billy and Charlie in growing this race to what it should be !!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Nicely put Johnny.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
bzsmarina

Ok guys. Here you go. 1 st boat. Team "who dat". 19 foot monza, small block ford, volvo penta drive. Sponsored by drew marine. 2 guys from the south who are nobodies. Going for the glory of making it around in the size boat i have. Also going to try to beat brownies time. I am running not for the food or anything free. I know the cost and i am willing to pay. Just think how much it cost to climb mt Everest? I am also doing it to honer the greats in this sport. Just to be able to start for me is a privilege. I also painted up a special helmet just for the race to honer don. Now if you think you can beet team who dat, then come out and try. But i am thinking all the big dollar guy are chicken. I challenge anyone. Come out sure a 19 foot boat cant beat your 30 footer or bigger can it? I think i can. Sorry about any bad spelling as i am doing this on my phone and just some dumb hick from va.