Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012 >

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM
  #1  
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,901
Default Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Pushing for Better Top-Speed Accuracy in 2012

Hats off to Ron Duggan and the rest of the Shootout crew, who always seem to be trying to make it better, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...y-in-2012.html.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 AM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 755
Default

Has there been any talk of making the shootout any longer (maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles)?
Racerngr1 is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  #3  
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,901
Default

Originally Posted by Racerngr1 View Post
Has there been any talk of making the shootout any longer (maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles)?
From the people I've spoken with, I don't think there's a whole lot of interest in making the course longer. They fastest boats are already running more than 200 mph and there are plenty running 150-plus.

There may well be participants who would like a longer course. That's just something I've never heard from the people who are already running really, really fast.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 2,163
Default

I've always suggested they use a timing light trap like the drag boat race courses.
salesmanship is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM
  #5  
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL, LOTO
Posts: 7,445
Default

I was hoping they would ditch the radar altogether and go with timing traps.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM
  #6  
Beak botr
VIP Member
 
88Fount33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 891
Default

Radar = Fail
88Fount33 is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM
  #7  
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,901
Default

Originally Posted by 88Fount33 View Post
Radar = Fail
With all due respect, I think "fail" is a little strong. As John Tomlinson said in the article, he saw no discrepancies this year between radar and in-boat GPS in a boat that ran in the 160-mph range. My experience with radar as compared to GPS numbers in many years of testing with Powerboat magazine is that usually they were very close.

The problem at the Shootout seems to occur, or has been reported most, is with boats that run 200-plus mph. To be sure, there aren't many of them but they are the "marquee" boats and, to organizers' credit, they want to get it right.

Timing lights, as Terry mentioned, would be the most accurate way to measure top speed. I have no idea what the costs or set-up challenges for that kind of system would be.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:36 PM
  #8  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 2,163
Default

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
With all due respect, I think "fail" is a little strong. As John Tomlinson said in the article, he saw no discrepancies this year between radar and in-boat GPS in a boat that ran in the 160-mph range. My experience with radar as compared to GPS numbers in many years of testing with Powerboat magazine is that usually they were very close.

The problem at the Shootout seems to occur, or has been reported most, is with boats that run 200-plus mph. To be sure, there aren't many of them but they are the "marquee" boats and, to organizers' credit, they want to get it right.

Timing lights, as Terry mentioned, would be the most accurate way to measure top speed. I have no idea what the costs or set-up challenges for that kind of system would be.
Have them contact the St. Louis Drag Boat Assoc.
I'm sure they could get it set up.

Having Radar in the boat works fine because you can point it straight ahead and the readings are accurate.
The problems with the radar at the Shoot Out are:
With the gun positioned overhead on a boom pointing down on the boat you're already skewed. If the boat doesn't line up directly with the gun it's going to be off. If the boat doesn't have enough mass/ reflectivity it's going to be off. Most of the boats are still gaining speed just as they go under the boom but the gun has already clocked you well in front of it.

There's my take on it.
salesmanship is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
  #9  
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL, LOTO
Posts: 7,445
Default

Inaccuracy is one thing but registering no speed is inexcusable. Too much at risk when these boats run to say, "Oops! Can you try that again?"
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:45 PM
  #10  
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lees Summit ~ LOTO 10MM
Posts: 2,815
Default

Originally Posted by salesmanship View Post
Have them contact the St. Louis Drag Boat Assoc.
I'm sure they could get it set up.

Having Radar in the boat works fine because you can point it straight ahead and the readings are accurate.
The problems with the radar at the Shoot Out are:
With the gun positioned overhead on a boom pointing down on the boat you're already skewed. If the boat doesn't line up directly with the gun it's going to be off. If the boat doesn't have enough mass/ reflectivity it's going to be off. Most of the boats are still gaining speed just as they go under the boom but the gun has already clocked you well in front of it.

There's my take on it.
Well said!!!
endeavor1 is offline  

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser