101 things a new boater should know? >

101 things a new boater should know?

Notices

101 things a new boater should know?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The switch marked blower is not meant to keep you cool... well then again maybe it is, you will stay cooler if you don't go boom.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Registered

Always make sure the plug is in.... Sounds funny and dumb, but have seen more than one "chinese fire drill" at the launch while people try to get the boat back out before it sinks.....
Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When rafting off another boat, Always raft in the same direction. Stern to Stern.....
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Default Things One Should Know

If you've never taken the time to show the wife how to back a trailer in a no-stress environment, please don't send her up to get your truck and trailer at 5pm on a summer Sunday afternoon while the ramp is rockin' only to then start yelling at her because she's doing it all wrong.

If they've never backed a trailer before with limited visibility on their own, they will do even worse when there's an anxious audience where all members have car horns.

Congrats on the boat!! Have fun -

Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Here are my fav three rules for crew
Allways bring more of your favorite beverage then you cane drink in a day.

Bring clothes for all weather

Bring cash because I don't except american exspress

(Capt) allways wear your tether kill switch.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Docking - its not a timed event and no one is holding a stopwatch. Take it at your own pace and screw the opinions of eveyone wathcing.

Wear your lanyard AT ALL TIMES when underway. Wear it on your wrist and in time your brain will be wired to know when its not on the same way you know when you are not wearing a seat belt in a car.

Get a good set of fenders with covers (or bumpers if thats what ya wanna call 'em) for rafting.

when rafting its best to tie the stern first and keep them lined up across the row. Tie it snug then do the bow

do frequent systems checks when the boat is on the trailer. Nav lights, stern and 360 lighting should be bright and functioning. Keep the lenses clean and clear.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

This is my biggest pet peeve

learn how to properly tie a few simple knots. these work well on there own and its not necessary to endlessly loop a spaghetti mess on top of them

cleat hitch - my very biggest peeve lol . . . . know it . . . learn it . . . liv it

http://www.netknots.com/html/cleat_hitch.html

clove hitch, the proper way to tie to a post for short term docking. This can be done with just the loops thrown over the post with practice.

http://www.netknots.com/html/clove_hitch.html

bowline - very handy and easy to untie

http://www.netknots.com/html/bowline.html

anchor bend - just a good one to know cuz anchors are expensive

http://www.netknots.com/html/anchor_bend.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-27-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

When taking a leak off the back of your boat, first thoroughly scan for the Water Patrol in all directions. Once a female officer just smirked and continued on her way (my buddy commented that she didn't see anything worth pulling over for ). Another time I was boarded and had to go through the whole safety check thing and was then scolded for not being more discreet.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
first thing, good luck with the new ride.......looks like a perfect boat to have a ton of fun and make many great memories with........

second I'll start the list of 101 things to learn about boating and I am sure I and others will have 1001 things they can put on this list.......

1......Never pull up to another boat or a dock at a higher rate of speed then you would want to hit it at.......
More correctly phrased - "Never approach a fixed object any faster than you'd want to ram it."

And a few more:

When presented with multiple launch ramp lanes to choose from, never choose the one with a Bayliner in it.

The time it will take the idiot in front of you to launch his boat is inversely proportional to the size of the boat. (Jet Skis take forever)

The time it will take the idiot with the Bayliner in front of you to retrieve his boat at a launch ramp is inversely proportional to the number of miles away the fast approaching tornado is. (The closer it is, the longer he will take.)

Your chances of doing something truly stupid at a launch ramp are directly proportional to the number of people watching you and / or how much you want to impress your new lady friend.

Last edited by Too Stroked; 09-27-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

And make sure you have enough ropes to tie off properly rafting/docking up, with a spring line! Actually, have MORE than enough rope. Have your bumpers and ropes on and ready BEFORE you pull into the dock. Oh, and also have them on and ready before you back the boat into the launch! Its annoying when people back into the launch and then start puttin on lines and bumpers! Good luck and happy boating!

Last edited by kreed; 09-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.