Like Tree0Likes

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Reply
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM
  #221
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
kreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,349
Default

Hey guys, all this bickering is fun, but maybe we should take this opportunity to be thankful that we are all still here and able to boat at all. There was a fatal boat accident in KW at the races. Times like these make you think of all the times we've all done stupid things in our boats and made it out alive. These poor guys werent so lucky. RIP
kreed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM
  #222
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
WildThing47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CT, FL
My Boats: 47' GTX C/E Outerlimits
Posts: 1,988
Default

+1

*united We Race*
WildThing47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM
  #223
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Cinzano....excellent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-7W2XeINg
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM
  #224
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member
 
4195's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Old Saybrook CT
My Boats: 2009 Marquis 50SC
Posts: 2,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
Hey guys, all this bickering is fun, but maybe we should take this opportunity to be thankful that we are all still here and able to boat at all. There was a fatal boat accident in KW at the races. Times like these make you think of all the times we've all done stupid things in our boats and made it out alive. These poor guys werent so lucky. RIP
Agreed and well said! I love the banter it's fun but this is a pure tragedy, I hate when people get hurt doing something that I love. Thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends, may you have a lifetime of memories to ease your pain!
4195 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM
  #225
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche3Six View Post
LOl!!!
Yeah..you're pissed that potato chip crumbled! Now go sit in your ostrich skinned cabin & have a glass of whine with your pinky up!! Why don''t you put a chandelier in there? Don Aronow tribute edition OL my azz!!!!!! Lol!!!!!!
hey why don't you show the long video of that apache, I recall they were doing great but broke. that is what was said in the vid.. ps it was a 10 minute version and might of been of two races in that vid, I'll look for the name of it. its in my lib.
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
  #226
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
hey why don't you show the long video of that apache, I recall they were doing great but broke. that is what was said in the vid.. ps it was a 10 minute version and might of been of two races in that vid, I'll look for the name of it. its in my lib.
I'm still looking for your other imaginary video of the OL running in 12' seas...I give up...you find them! I'll enjoy watching them. The Dude is having a white Russian!
Attached Thumbnails
Who is Still making a non stepped hull?-22774826-22774828-large.jpg  

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 11-11-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
  #227
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
My Boats: 1992 Progression 22
Posts: 1,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreed View Post
Hey guys, all this bickering is fun, but maybe we should take this opportunity to be thankful that we are all still here and able to boat at all. There was a fatal boat accident in KW at the races. Times like these make you think of all the times we've all done stupid things in our boats and made it out alive. These poor guys werent so lucky. RIP
+2 So sad.
Too Stroked is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 PM
  #228
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche3Six View Post
I'm still looking for your other imaginary video of the OL running in 12' seas...I give up...you find them! I'll enjoy watching them. The Dude is having a white Russian!
Apache 41 back in the day 3.44 seconds. they say it twice in the video they didn't finish. arrhhh. I 'll look for those on P1. over the last two years theres been two apaches traded in at OL. one from mass that joker owned ,not the boat Co. the guys name is Mark he did a restore on a 47 twin blown motors. it was the best looking apache I ever saw. but only ran a little over a 100 maybe 110 or so. the other was the uglest one ever built cold war, think it was 50 or 52 it had a bussel added on. that was there the year before I think. if I ever hit the lotto big money 50million or more, I would have SABER 47 or sutphen 40 built with a twin turbo 1800hp Arneson surface drive one with cabin. also a OL 47 or 50 for the days I want to stay dry with mikes new 1700hp whipples. a 46 skater turbine boat, like Gerry's KNOT RIGHT and a Donzi 72 sportfisher. for fishing and partys. so I'm not a hater see I said it. I'll go look for the video's name now.
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM
  #229
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
Apache 41 back in the day 3.44 seconds. they say it twice in the video they didn't finish. arrhhh. I 'll look for those on P1. over the last two years theres been two apaches traded in at OL. one from mass that joker owned ,not the boat Co. the guys name is Mark he did a restore on a 47 twin blown motors. it was the best looking apache I ever saw. but only ran a little over a 100 maybe 110 or so. the other was the uglest one ever built cold war, think it was 50 or 52 it had a bussel added on. that was there the year before I think. if I ever hit the lotto big money 50million or more, I would have SABER 47 or sutphen 40 built with a twin turbo 1800hp Arneson surface drive one with cabin. also a OL 47 or 50 for the days I want to stay dry with mikes new 1700hp whipples. a 46 skater turbine boat, like Gerry's KNOT RIGHT and a Donzi 72 sportfisher. for fishing and partys. so I'm not a hater see I said it. I'll go look for the video's name now.
Stop dancing on the rings of Saturn.......
Just post the videos......Thank You!
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
  #230
Registered
 
SS930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At the office.
My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16
Posts: 6,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4195 View Post
I have question for the Outerlimits owners or heirs to one

1. Who makes the fastest hull?

2. Who has the best hull construction?

3. Who has made the best rough water boats that have proven themselves?

4.Best riding boat?
Now there can be more then one answer for each question
Sorry Frank, I missed your efforts to poke the fire! Assuming you are referring to Vee's... I'll give my two cents (and it's probably not worth anything more than that, well other than the entertainment value out of firing up both you and Mr.Ed).

#1 and #2 I'd say the same company. OL and the reason is they're somewhat related... I think the latest OL hulls have proven to be probably the most efficient out there, seem to be rock solid at very high speeds, and due to the layup are extremely light and rigid. They've obviously come up with a hull design that works very well and they have the ability to work in epoxy/carbon and cook them in an autoclave... something almost no other vee bottom builder has at their facility. For this reason alone, they can produce a better racing hull than just about everyone out there by default. The performance advantage of bagged carbon/epoxy compared to our traditional glass resin buckets is staggering. With that said, the incredible stiffness also takes away from the forgivingness of the 'ride' as well, but that wasn't part of your criteria...

#3 and #4 are again related and I'd say hard to even quantify. If you want to look at offshore legends, the larger Apaches obviously would be a top contender. Their weight and size offers a much better (softer?) ride than a smaller and lighter boat. Obviously the longer and heavier you make a boat, the better the perceived ride will be in big water... With that said, that would not necessarily make them faster in big water, but the perceived ride would seem better to the human ping pong balls being tossed around in them. So if you're looking for the boats that have proven themselves in handling the big water and offering the best ride, I'd have to throw the CG cutters in as a top competitor.
SS930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.