Outerlimits Offering Don Aronow Limited Edition SV43 >

Outerlimits Offering Don Aronow Limited Edition SV43

Notices

Outerlimits Offering Don Aronow Limited Edition SV43

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Marketing, cheerleeding, call it what you want. There are different brands for different reasons...if your brand works for you..great..but dont shove your brand up my azz and make it like every other brand is a pos...thats my point. I have nothing against OL boats, actually really like them, very innovative... just some of the representation at time to time I believe could be on a more professional level..Jeff
Agreed.
And there is a marked difference between the legal right and a prudent marketing move.

You dont see Pepsi selling soda in a red can with a swirl on it.

I think you can see the general gist of the reaction here and this thread is just getting started.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting comments. Kind of reminds me back in the early 70's, when Don started his newest boat company and called it Cigarette.

Hey Don, we know that is your favorite name and you had it on three of your race boats, but you can't name a whole boat company, Cigarette. People will be confused, they will thnk it has something to do with cigarettes or smoking. They won't attach anything macho with that name, you are going to lose out to the competitors who have real aggressive and tough guy names.

Don smiled and said.... Well let's have the company name be built on on it's record in racing .....and then we will see how it is recieved by the public.

Guess he was ahead of everyone on that one.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, poor effort using dons name.
If any of dons former companys wanted to build a don a edition i.e. formula, cig, etc... It would make more sence, but o.l.???

If o.l. Is trying to carry some steam off the long island marathon record breaker why not offer buyers a ” long island edition ” and do more than slap a ” 1” on the hull.
How about the ” long island edition ” comes with larger tanks than a standard 43, making it purpose built for marathon racing.

Imo this isnt a tribute build but a shatty marketing attempt using a legends name to boost sales and publicity. Sorry o.l.
Mike D

Last edited by scarab63; 10-22-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered

Since we are talking about Don again, I asked a question on the other DA thread and didnt get an answer.

Is there a recorded timeline of the ownership of his various companies??

At first read in all these threads it appears that as soon as he sold 1 company he took the money and started competing with the guy he just sold a company to.

Is that what happened 4 times ?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Since we are talking about Don again, I asked a question on the other DA thread and didnt get an answer.

Is there a recorded timeline of the ownership of his various companies??

At first read in all these threads it appears that as soon as he sold 1 company he took the money and started competing with the guy he just sold a company to.

Is that what happened 4 times ?
Sometimes he would buy back the company, change some of the designs and resell it to someone else, like Magnum, which he owned at the same time he also owned Cigarette.....a couple of years and he sold it again. He also was part owner with Hal Halter in Cigarette as well as owning Squadron XII at the same time. He was part owner of Cary at the same time he was selling Magnum the first time.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Sometimes he would buy back the company, change some of the designs and resell it to someone else, like Magnum, which he owned at the same time he also owned Cigarette.....a couple of years and he sold it again. He also was part owner with Hal Halter in Cigarette as well as owning Squadron XII at the same time. He was part owner of Cary at the same time he was selling Magnum the first time.
Gotcha. Thanks Charlie
Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if they tweaked the graphics a little it would better reflect the intention of this "tribute boat"?..and remove some of the "controversy"?

Instead of just "Don Aronow" on the side...some creativeness could be mustered to somehow have some or parts that reflect the Event incorporated in the graphics:

"Don Aronow Memorial Marathon Race Around Long Island"
"2011 Winner and Record Holder"
etc, etc..

In the case of the controversial "one symbol and circle"...some smart graphics guy could, for example, use the outline of Long Island with a "l" in the middle some how???

Sorry for the crude examples, but there are lots of different ideas that could be done that not only celebrates the win and record and still show respect that it was a Don Aronow Memorial race...won by an OL boat.

Maybe the graphics guys should take the harder road to come up with something special and unique, instead of taking the simple easy road of the unoriginal current design (no offense intended).

After all, you have some very special "ingredients" involved here. A special Boat, "OL", ...a couple of Special guys that won the race and set the record, "The Joes", ...and the Memory of a very special person, "Don Aronow".....doesn't all of that deserve a "Special" Graphics package to celebrate this accomplishment...instead of just slapping on a graphic "style" that has been done to death over and over??

Of course, to be honest I like the simplicity of the current design, it is more to my taste...but, I also do get the emotional response by many here too.

Maybe something as simple as tweaking the current logo with just "Don Aronow" and the "Oval" to incorporate... "Don Aronow Memorial Race" with the outline of Long Island, instead of the Oval thing. ??

Just tossing out some crazy thoughts...but, it's funny, when I first saw the graphics I thought it was cool....but after reading comments here and thinking about it overnight (and even thru typing this long a$$ post) I think I understand the issues better.

The current design makes the boat "appear" to be a Don Aronow boat, or at a minimum one of his designs...it is neither. Anyone not in the "know", i.e the average boater is gonna see this boat(or boats) on the water and think it is a Don Aronow boat...not cool! When they see this boat with just "Don Aronow" on the side, what the heck else could they think???.

This is why IMHO, the graphics needs to celebrate the Win/Record of the Memorial RACE(and be obvious about it), not just the MAN and his name alone on the boat...it is a big HUGE difference...

OL has no "heritage or History" with Don Aronow I have ever heard of (or,do they???)...just the pride of being the winning and record setting boat of the Don Aronow Memorial Race..nothing more, nothing less.

Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And its not even snowing yet.........its going to be a long winter.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Wow, I have to scratch me head over this one... Very cool boat but, Just dont quit grasp the idea.....
Jr.
I wonder what would have happen if a fountain won the LI race.................. I guess that would be even more odd....
Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Dan had a rough start with his cheerleading attitude. No one can say he has not been better in the past couple months. The ranting on Dan is officially unwarranted. OL is building boats at least 4 boats that I know of, have you ever heard "no publicity is bad publicity"?

On a side note: Dan, boat looks great. If that is what MIKE ARONOW wanted and he gave you the legal rights to use it, god bless.
He acts like an immature douche, you know it,I know it and if I were ever to buy an Outerlimits first thing I would say to Mike is keep that lil douche out of sight and away from me during the purchase.. there it's been said... have a nice day, thanks Bye!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.