New ethanol blend damages marine engines Mercury Marine experts testify >

New ethanol blend damages marine engines Mercury Marine experts testify

Notices

New ethanol blend damages marine engines Mercury Marine experts testify

Old 11-05-2011, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I encourage everyone to self test the ethanol content of what you are buying at least once a year. I detail a very easy 2 minute test you can do to check alchohol contentn in gas, you can gather the stuff together for less than 20$. My post on this is in this other thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-solution.html
Smitty[/QUOTE]

Smitty, can you post pics of your test equipment, and maybe a shot of the finished test? Where is the easiest place to locate the equipment? This is good info.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
Bring back leaded fuel, at-least the lead cushioned the valves...

I'd be happy with e85...at the pump....atleast I'd get 110 octane...cheap...
There are a few discrepencies about E-85, there are (3) grades of E-85, class 1, 2 and 3. Depending where you live (unless it is in a very warm climate that never gets cold)you could end up with the class 2 or 3.
Class 1-summer time- 80-85% 100-105 octane
Class 2-spring/fall----- 75-80% 96-101 octane
Class 3-winter----------70-75% 91-96 0ctane
And unless you buy certified "Rockett Racing stuff" by the 5 gallon pail or drum the rest of the mix is 85 octane base stock gasoline.
There are published guidlines for when each grade should be sold at the pump in various states-to my surprise in Michigan they are only supposed to fill the tanks with summer grade from mid june to mid Aug and if they don't sell alot you could very well be buying the spring or even winter stuff so IF you were going to build a motor around it You would need to be very careful on what you put in your tank- imagine building a 12-1 motor so you could take adavantage of all the octane and then you get the low grade crap and it rattles your motor apart!!
I am in the middle of dynoing my current project-a 600HP 455 Pontiac with Mefi EFI, I went and tested the local pump E-85 a few days ago and even though they were SUPPOSED to already be selling the winter stuff here, it tested at 83% Ethanol so I bought 52 gallons to use to dyno with as I am doing a E-85 tune for this as a alternative, might not ever use it but I just want to see and this motor is 11.4-1, Smitty
Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
I encourage everyone to self test the ethanol content of what you are buying at least once a year. I detail a very easy 2 minute test you can do to check alchohol contentn in gas, you can gather the stuff together for less than 20$. My post on this is in this other thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-solution.html
Smitty
Smitty, can you post pics of your test equipment, and maybe a shot of the finished test? Where is the easiest place to locate the equipment? This is good info.[/QUOTE]

I will but it will be a few days. Here is a link to a complete compact test kit for around 30$
http://www.fuel-testers.com/index.html
I think my graduated cylinder at a higher capacity is more accurate-if you test a 10 ml sample 1 ml would be 10%, can you see much diff between 1 and 2 ml? if you test a 100 ml sample each ml is 1% so if it phase seperates at 15ml you can see pretty clearly where your at (don't forget to deduct the amount of h20 you titrated it with). Anyways I will try to post pics when I get a chance, Smitty
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Danica Patrick likes it.

As with all junk science, P.R. overcomes logic and common sense every time. This stuff ate the fuel tanks and hull out of my Skater, makes you waste money on STA-BIL for any gas that sits longer than a few weeks, and releases carcinogins into the atmosphere.......

The American public somehow needs to get a clue before entering a voting booth..... and our political system needs to provide better candidates....

T2x
Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel-testers.com This site has alot of info on ethanol problems and manufactures suggestions as to the use of ethanol in their products.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Everybody remembers when this big push to ethanol took place. In a "lets find quick energy independance" some smart people in politics and in the "corn" belt jumped on this one and quickly won administration, congressional and enviromental approvals and WHOLA! here comes ethanol and mandated use requirements even before any good usage studies and tests like this were properly and completely done.
Now when industires cannot afford warranty and equipment failure issues in this horrible economy we are going to be made to "Walk the Plank" and do a lot of equipment and damage to many industries, sports and economies.
Instead of doing good due dilegence evaluation and good scientific testing, those wonderful "Power Brokers" (elected Officials & Lobbyists) in their infinite knowledge and wisdom are hanging the overall American public with a real problem.

Get out the Popcorn! This is gonna be a good one!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
It didn't work back in the 70's..... I guess they thought things changed. lol