Notices

Warpaint Crash Pics

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
4FX
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to just think this was just a stuffing!!
Glad you guys are ok and will be back in the future.

Not to be insensitive but how bad were the canopy failures in the two other major accidents. You now have to consider flipping and landing like BTM backwards and upside down. I remember Cat Can Do doing the same kind of flip and only losing the sponson tip and race hatches during the Kilo run in NC back in 99' or 00'

http://youtu.be/9W_MslE5ntE
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
My personal opinion as an engineer is to stop looking at the canopy of the boat for safety designs and the boats outer hull as a safety control. Look to seperate internal structure under the canopy, occupant restraint systems and better extraction structure to allow quick exit or retrieval of the racers when the boat is upsidedown or sinking. Have you ever seen a race car without a roll cage?!!! Why do high speed car racers use Hans devices?!!! How long can an injured or unconcious racer breathe under water?!!! Lastly , lets not forget to incorporate this type of safety construction and features in the recreational boats who are capable of the same speeds and potential damage and injury!! Its only a matter of time when this type of tragedy will strike again in the recreational scene!
Another post was started today with commentary from a Miami Florida newspaper on banning this type of boat racing.
This is a warning shot over the bow! Our industry must get moving quickly on this need!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
We think alike... despite not being an engineer
Full face helmets, air masks, Hans Devices and full race suits go a long way in protecting yourself flying around IN the canopy/racecar....despite wearing 5 or 6 point racing harnesses that keeps just your torso in the seat... limbs & head are all free to fly wherever.
And all these safetydevices are relatively cheap plus not much mods needed on the boats.
I've been touting for these for years. Never had a problem to adapt to a Hans device for example. Especially after watching some crash videos without one.... would think and powerboater in a fast boat would want one... just like using a helmet with a motorcycle/moped/gokart...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:25 PM
BK
Registered

The fully encapsulated "pod" idea needs to be fully explored. A much tighter, snug area for better bodily protection.

Here's a safety 'pod' that has been protecting outboard racers at 130mph+ for over 20 years. There is no roll cage - the structure is all carbon fiber/kevlar/core material. The contoured and reduced amount of surface area prevents implosion from water pressure. The actual canopies are small, but there still are failures in crashes. But keeping the width of the opening as narrow as possible helps block the power of water dynamics.

http://opcrace.com/news/wp-content/u...2-768x1024.jpg
Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Registered

Wow!!! Great shot!!! Those pics are crazy. Glad they were ok
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

nobody has addressed the fact that in all instances the plexi/lexan/whatever/ windscreens imploded on impact,,, the resulting incoming water pressure and volume THEN tore the canopy away from the supports

you don't see aircraft windshields doing this when they hit rain at 400-500 mph....

which begs the question, what thickness or mil rating is the clear glass/plastic/lexan/whatever?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM
BK
Registered

Apparently we won't have reinvent the wheel on this. Over the past few years, the UIM has already adopted new cockpit standards for offshore racing which were already approved back in 2010.

These standards were the product of many years of engineering brainstorming, and do incorporate all the decades of innovations and discoveries in safety cockpit design and accessories that have been collected throughout the boat racing world.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Polycarbonate is what we used in Stylin, its also what Skater 1/4 Canopies are made of. Im not sure if its used in the newer raceboats. Polycarbonate is used in F-16s
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4FX
And to just think this was just a stuffing!!
Glad you guys are ok and will be back in the future.

Not to be insensitive but how bad were the canopy failures in the two other major accidents. You now have to consider flipping and landing like BTM backwards and upside down. I remember Cat Can Do doing the same kind of flip and only losing the sponson tip and race hatches during the Kilo run in NC back in 99' or 00'

http://youtu.be/9W_MslE5ntE
Big Thunders canopy was distroyed Page's canopy from what i can see wasn't damage but i could be wrong. btw page's boat had escape hatch, full oxygen and seats with head restrants.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bill63
Big Thunders canopy was distroyed Page's canopy from what i can see wasn't damage but i could be wrong. btw page's boat had escape hatch, full oxygen and seats with head restrants.
I may have this completely wrong but I heard the issue with Page's accident was they could not get the hatch open and needed a crowbar?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Wow, Unbelievable Pics..!! Glad they are ok !!!

That must of been an extremely hard impact on the body...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.