Notices

700hp Fountain 27

Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice numbers, impressive. But in the real world on the water, how often do you think you can go all out for top speed in a 27 footer ? When you get into 3 footers or more you are going to get beat to hell or worse, even running mid speeds.

Not being beligerent or a smartazz, its just a fact, that in smaller boats, once you get into 3 footers, you usually get your azz beat up pretty bad. Running into 3 footers isnt hard to come by especially on a day with alot of boat traffic or wind, and depending on the wate/area/region where you boat. Then it doesnt make any diff how fast or how much horsepower you have, the bigger boat is going to roll right on thru and not miss a beat. This too varies iregardless, because they ( the bigger boat ) may have alot more HP on tap than the smaller boat at any given point.

Bottom line, someone is always faster, always....... no matter what you roll in.

Last edited by 45Tripps; 12-26-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ita1iansta11ion1
my boat still has a scum line on it that i havent cleaned off since my last time in the water. i just went outside and measured the length at waterline at rest and it is 21 ft.
You should take better care of your boat.

Met a guy from Bayville end of last summer with a 27 Avanti with a few extra ponies. He would probably be a good run for you.

See you on the bay in the spring.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
Cool, a straight forward lets race thread......wow, your avitar is true! The Instigator! Good luck.

I figure most guys on this site are gearheads and agree with Kreed. Regardless of how much horsepower your engines actually make or what your real running surface is, etc, etc, the fun is in the competition. Maybe you win, maybe you lose but you have fun competing either way.

As Raylar said, somebody out there will always throw more money, time, and effort into being the fastest so if you "crow" too loud, you might eat some craw. But I give Italianstallion the thumbs up for wanting to mix it up with similarly outfitted boats and see who comes out on top.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

theres always someone faster, smarter, richer, better. im just trying to compare a similar size boat with similar hp in water that can accommodate the top speed of the 2 similar boats. i have nothing to hide, ive stated the length, weight, hp and max speed. which means im not interested in racing someones boat 20 mph faster than mine and also not interested in someone going 20mph slower either. lets get past this and really get serious with the numbers.

of course i get beat up at speed in 3's even cruising in 4's sometimes but im young and its fun. my boat FEELS faster that a 30' something going 100 anyway. its enough to impress my friends and myself. im happy right where im at.

i had a fun time at the end of the summer with a 2000 30' cigarette with twin 500's. we were side by side.

Last edited by ita1iansta11ion1; 12-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastcats
Regardless of how much horsepower your engines actually make or what your real running surface is, etc, etc, the fun is in the competition. Maybe you win, maybe you lose but you have fun competing either way.
+1

lol, yea i need to give her a bath. i keep her in the water all summer b/c the marinas that i go to only have in water slips. so i get a scum line, it washes off. no big deal, shes almost 20 yrs old. 60 hrs on the motor tho.

Last edited by ita1iansta11ion1; 12-26-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ita1iansta11ion1
THANK YOU!

smitty, how are u going to compare a 1000+hp boat to one that allegedly only has 600 hp? in reality 700hp. call bandit performance marine, 732-477-7400 and ask for danny, the engine builder. theyre a great bunch of guys very knowledgeable and im sure he will gladly have a 20 min discussion with you about how my 510 motor he built made 700 hp.
I'm not saying you didn't make 700 hp, all I'm saying is if someone told me they had a 510 ci flat top piston motor with canfield 310's I would guess it had 600 hp, are you happy with what you got and how fast it runs? If so, that is great, your numbers are a little higher than other combinations similar to yours but I haven't seen exactly what you have so maybe you do have 700 hp, just enjoy your boat and be safe, Smitty
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

ita1iansta11ion1:

You have a very nice boat and looks and runs like a very nice setup and engine for your efforts.
I would like to say though as far as horsepower numbers and data from your dyno shhets there are some things that might need some clarification.
Whenever a dyno correction factor needs to get up to a 7.5% correction the settings and data outputs tend to get skewed quite a bit and real horsepower and torque numbers will generally be distorted and outputs a bit suspect.
My engine build expierence on that size big block with those compression ratios, camshaft profile and such would lead me to believe your real horspower is closer to 600-625HP and that would translate to the hull speeds you are seeing with your earlier non-stepped bottom Fountain hull.
Just my thoughts here and obviously anything is possible and it really doesn't matter in the bigger scheme of things.
Enjoy your boat, be safe and have fun playing with it!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think its cool that guy is out there looking to run hard and have some fun. You can have a civic, a vette, or a lambo and there is ALWAYS someone who can beat you. But that doesn't take away from a boat that is fast and fun. Instigator clean that poor boat up lol and props for admitting that she isn't a true 27ft'r. Then go out and run over anything in the 21-27ft that tries to race ya. You built/bought it, why the hell not enjoy it. Sure it doesn't run like formula 272 or any 30ft'r but show me a fountain that does. If you like it, who cares
Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

I love my 27 Fountain. It is the biggest and fastest boat I have ever owned. As with any boat I have invested too much money in it. I have done a couple fun runs and a poker run on the Chesapeake Bay and had a blast! Yea I did get beat up some but it was a lot of fun. I plan on doing a few more poker runs in 2012.

My previous boat that I ran for 20 years was a 19 Four Winns. I built a 350 with about 350 hp. I would challenge larger boats on the C&D Canal. Some stock big blocks I could out run. Others with dual engines were quite surprised that I hung with them when they did not leave me in their wake.

What great times being on the water no matter what your ride!

Happy New Year and Great Boating to All in 2012.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

without ANY correction factor it is 650hp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.