Is powerboating worth it?

Old 06-17-2002, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo2256,
Those are the experiences that can't be had anywhere else,
and memories that last a lifetime.

Cruising up Long Island Sound in the fog.
Pulling into Mystic Seaport with the fog so thick you could barely see the tops of the masts on the Charles W. Morgan.
Seeing New York City from the East River or passing under the Brooklyn Brideg, George Washington Bridge, passing West Point, the Palasaides.
Watching the Statue of Liberty rising out of the mist as you enter New York Harbor.
Learning how to handle a boat when going through the locks of the Lake Champlain Canal System.
The 13 ft seas we encounterd on our first family trip.

A lifetime of memories.

Last edited by Iggy; 06-17-2002 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32Fever

We thought about your question for four straight weeks. Sold our boat middle of May and have been in a rush to get another boat. Choice between a Formula sport cruiser and another go-fast (just had baby in Feb 02). Had two deals lined up and each of them I passed on because of the $$$ between now and September. We could not justify spending between $17-$20K for 3 months of use (boat pymt, insurance, storage, gas, food etc). And the weather has been crappy on this side of the state also. We also have about 3 more family gatherings (must attends) this year which cuts into more boating time.

It is killing my wife and I not to have a boat because we save all our vacation time for the summer and being on a boat. I wanted to start our daughter on the water right away.

So our painful and I mean painful decision was to not buy a boat this summer (unless a great deal passes in front of me).

WE WILL HAVE A BOAT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!!!!! Like everyone else has said, boating does something to heel the mind and body of the weekly pressures. I want 5.5 to 6 months of use to justify the expense, so that has us looking at Formula sport cruiser. We would be able to leave the house on Friday and not come home until Sunday night and have plenty of space for over-nighting. Although that could change next year when our daughter is older and we want to hear loud engines and go fast!

This year will be hard not having a boat, but we have something to look forward to next year.....

Maybe taking a summer off will help clear your head so you can decide what makes you happy in your spare time. I know when September comes around, I can attend more U of M Football games which I usually miss when I'm on the water.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Drugs are not worth it, some are very expensive, but some people do them anyhow. No one can explaine power boating. Of course it is about the dumbest thing we can all get involved in but none the less we do it. My boat has put me in the poor house more then once. I finally had to smarten the F up and start to work on it only when there was no other work at the shop. This summer so far has sucked and I know that lots of people are asking this question. Once you hit the water the answer will be so clear. YES!!!!!!

Jon
Old 06-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Secret F233

I aswell have asked that same Q, my F233 has been down for a year but the houseboat still rocks so.......Get a HouseBoat, Trawler or a Crusier then weather dosn't mater its only Ice you need to look out for. & for kicks get a sweet16 or something & tow it behind you....

Last edited by Secret F233; 06-17-2002 at 09:26 AM.

Old 06-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Registered

If you even have to ask, it's not for you! I wait all winter just sitting around the house and when summer comes, I turn into a different person. I've been boating all my life and I hope and pray that I will always be able to.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I bet you dont even think about asking that question when it's 90 degrees, and the lake is warm, and the lake is behaving !!!

True, boating on Lake Michigan can be frustrating,,,BUT WHEN IT ALL COMES TOGETHER !!!!

Just knowing those days will exsist makes it all worth while for me !!!
Old 06-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Talking

Go to http://corvetteforum.net/classics/gregp/dock.htm and scroll down to the link for the WAV file of the motors running. Then see if you can still ask the same question

-Greg
Old 06-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by Audiofn
Drugs are not worth it, some are very expensive, but some people do them anyhow. No one can explaine power boating. Of course it is about the dumbest thing we can all get involved in but none the less we do it. My boat has put me in the poor house more then once. I finally had to smarten the F up and start to work on it only when there was no other work at the shop. This summer so far has sucked and I know that lots of people are asking this question. Once you hit the water the answer will be so clear. YES!!!!!!

Jon
Jon,
well, I was thinking of selling the boat and getting a $75,000 home theater system from (uh hem) someone. But, after reading what you typed........LOL! j/k

Everyone,
WEll, when it's nice out, you're on the boat, it's great. It's just there are too many other times when you have the chance to think about how you'd like to be out on the boat and are not.

I guess dyno helped out the thought process. If I wasnt' spending it in boating, where would I spend it exactly? That, I don't really know for sure. I could save it all and retire early. PFFFT! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... I'd have some sort of hobby, just evaluating the value.

I've even gotten to where making a payment all winter doesn't bother me (it used to on our previous boat). I think what bothers me the most is when we CAN use it, we're NOT for one reason or another, and it's out of my hands many times.

I'm not the blo-boat type, and I don't see myself in a cruiser. In Lake MI, to get anywhere, takes time. WE can do MORE the faster we can get there. I thought maybe the type of boat would matter, but I think we have the right type for us. Just not sure it's worth the cost/work for the benefit.

Mark
Old 06-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Boating like any other hobby, is an expensive proposition. Like any other hobby, i.e. rock climbing, snow skiing, flying, water skiing, etc. etc., there's usually a lot of money put out just for the visceral enjoyment vice a tangible return like maybe woodworking.

Boating is as much about the social benefits and the people you meet and spend time with. The litmus test I guess is just how much you get jazzed up about the whole experience. Either you in it heart and soul or, quite possibly it is time to move on to something else in life to spend your efforts and money on. 40 hours per year is not a whole lot of boating for the money in a 32. This is no answer obviously, just more points to ponder. Only you and your other can come to a "...is it worth it decision"...

Good luck with whatever you finally see inside and run with...

Rick
Old 06-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Like you I have a short summer here in Western NY and I know where you are coming from. It sounds as if some of your problem is family. As you mentioned, that your wife also likes boating simply tell them that summer is short and you have plans to go boating every possible weekend and sometimes during the week. You may also want to consider taking the wife's family with on occassion. For example my In- Laws go to dinner (by boat) with us every Thursday in the summer.
My wife's family and friends all know that every possible weekend is a boating weekend and it has become a joke that I only go to weddings and such in the winter. I tell every one that a Wednesday night in February is the best time for a wedding.

Quick Reply: Is powerboating worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.