Like Tree0Likes

Twins or a single-which would u want?

Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
  #61
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie17 View Post
So after reading all the posts, the age old debate between single or twins comes down to what I always suspected.

90% of the time, those that can afford to run twins will prefer twins.
And 90% of the time, those who can't afford to run twins will sing the virtues of a single.

Everyone will run what they can afford (hopefully)

Better to be boating in a single than have twins you can't afford to fix. But if you can afford to run twins, its a tough argument to say a single is better at around the 30ft mark.

Hence the twins in my 29, despite all the people telling me a single 525 is better - while they keep replacing gears in their single XR drive.

Lol... flame suit on
Im one of the 10% then...

I can afford any boat I wish shy of a turbine.

I chose a single high HP big block as power.



Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 PM
  #62
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. Chuck, MO
My Boats: 91 Scarab Sport 30, Hawaiian 28 cat, Aronow 37
Posts: 122
Default

I think it depends on how fast you want to go. You need big cubes or power adders to get you over 100 in a bigger single cat....plus a high dollar drive to survive for a long time.

I've got over 580ci, 660 NA hp, idles nice, easy enough to dock....but will never get into the upper 90's or 100, but i'm fine with that. I'd LOVE to have stock 6.2's, or 3.0 mercs, just as fast (or faster) and handles better. But double the filters, oil, belts, props, Oh and the initial cost lol.

But then again, changing ANYTHING on my single 28 cat may be the easiest thing ever. Need to pull a plug real quick and not get dirty or a 3rd degree burn? No-problemo!
schmiddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM
  #63
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lk. st. Clair MI
My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY
Posts: 4,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie17 View Post
So after reading all the posts, the age old debate between single or twins comes down to what I always suspected.

90% of the time, those that can afford to run twins will prefer twins.
And 90% of the time, those who can't afford to run twins will sing the virtues of a single.

Everyone will run what they can afford (hopefully)

Better to be boating in a single than have twins you can't afford to fix. But if you can afford to run twins, its a tough argument to say a single is better at around the 30ft mark.

Hence the twins in my 29, despite all the people telling me a single 525 is better - while they keep replacing gears in their single XR drive.

Lol... flame suit on
Had both. Can't afford either. Have to think really hard if I was to ever buy a single again... Uhhh NOPE! Twins are not hard or that much more expensive to maintain. The extra gas is not much either.
POWERPLAY J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
  #64
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thousand Islands area
My Boats: Fever
Posts: 2,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J View Post
Had both. Can't afford either. Have to think really hard if I was to ever buy a single again... Uhhh NOPE! Twins are not hard or that much more expensive to maintain. The extra gas is not much either.
I would agree my twins have not been a deal breaker yet. But the cost just in MAINT is double so to say its nothing isnt true, is it workable, yes. But I would hate to have two big things go instead of one.
soldier4402 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
  #65
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
My Boats: 45 Sonic- 45SS, Sport Chassis Hauler
Posts: 396
Default

Twins, but Tripps is even nicer IMHO.
45Tripps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM
  #66
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Default

I'm sold twins it is. Looks like either twin 525's or ilmor 625's have deals on both. Should be a nice package on the new 32 predator cat
Originalronza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 AM
  #67
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalronza View Post
I'm sold twins it is. Looks like either twin 525's or ilmor 625's have deals on both. Should be a nice package on the new 32 predator cat
where do you boat?
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 AM
  #68
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
where do you boat?
Illinois lakes
Originalronza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM
  #69
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 178
Default

2 is always better then 1.

If you get into motor trouble, you always have 1 to make it home.

Once I blew 2 motors within seconds apart.
Thank god I still had the third motor to make it back to shore.
True story!

3 is a lot more work then 2, but much cooler looking.


Have a great holiday to all
STV92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
  #70
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
A 30ft boat needs twins, period. No free lunches with a single engine. The money you spend on a high hp single will catch up fast to what it will cost to run twin stock power.......
I disagree. I'm pleased with the performance of my boat with a stock 525efi. If I was going to run twin BBCs, I would go longer than 30'. In an efficient 30' hull, it would be SBCs, or OB's for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie17 View Post
90% of the time, those that can afford to run twins will prefer twins.
And 90% of the time, those who can't afford to run twins will sing the virtues of a single.
I guess I am an exception to that rule too. For what I paid for my boat I could of gotten into a pretty nice larger, twin engine boat, maybe a few yrs. older. Cost of ownership was not a deciding factor for me.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.