Twins or a single-which would u want? >

Twins or a single-which would u want?

Notices

Twins or a single-which would u want?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rookie17
So after reading all the posts, the age old debate between single or twins comes down to what I always suspected.

90% of the time, those that can afford to run twins will prefer twins.
And 90% of the time, those who can't afford to run twins will sing the virtues of a single.

Everyone will run what they can afford (hopefully)

Better to be boating in a single than have twins you can't afford to fix. But if you can afford to run twins, its a tough argument to say a single is better at around the 30ft mark.

Hence the twins in my 29, despite all the people telling me a single 525 is better - while they keep replacing gears in their single XR drive.

Lol... flame suit on
Im one of the 10% then...

I can afford any boat I wish shy of a turbine.

I chose a single high HP big block as power.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

I think it depends on how fast you want to go. You need big cubes or power adders to get you over 100 in a bigger single cat....plus a high dollar drive to survive for a long time.

I've got over 580ci, 660 NA hp, idles nice, easy enough to dock....but will never get into the upper 90's or 100, but i'm fine with that. I'd LOVE to have stock 6.2's, or 3.0 mercs, just as fast (or faster) and handles better. But double the filters, oil, belts, props, Oh and the initial cost lol.

But then again, changing ANYTHING on my single 28 cat may be the easiest thing ever. Need to pull a plug real quick and not get dirty or a 3rd degree burn? No-problemo!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

So after reading all the posts, the age old debate between single or twins comes down to what I always suspected.

And 90% of the time, those who can't afford to run twins will sing the virtues of a single.

Everyone will run what they can afford (hopefully)

Better to be boating in a single than have twins you can't afford to fix. But if you can afford to run twins, its a tough argument to say a single is better at around the 30ft mark.

Hence the twins in my 29, despite all the people telling me a single 525 is better - while they keep replacing gears in their single XR drive.

Lol... flame suit on
Had both. Can't afford either. Have to think really hard if I was to ever buy a single again... Uhhh NOPE! Twins are not hard or that much more expensive to maintain. The extra gas is not much either.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Had both. Can't afford either. Have to think really hard if I was to ever buy a single again... Uhhh NOPE! Twins are not hard or that much more expensive to maintain. The extra gas is not much either.
I would agree my twins have not been a deal breaker yet. But the cost just in MAINT is double so to say its nothing isnt true, is it workable, yes. But I would hate to have two big things go instead of one.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twins, but Tripps is even nicer IMHO.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Banned

I'm sold twins it is. Looks like either twin 525's or ilmor 625's have deals on both. Should be a nice package on the new 32 predator cat
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Originalronza
I'm sold twins it is. Looks like either twin 525's or ilmor 625's have deals on both. Should be a nice package on the new 32 predator cat
where do you boat?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
where do you boat?
Illinois lakes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

2 is always better then 1.

If you get into motor trouble, you always have 1 to make it home.

Once I blew 2 motors within seconds apart.
Thank god I still had the third motor to make it back to shore.
True story!

3 is a lot more work then 2, but much cooler looking.

Have a great holiday to all
Old 12-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
A 30ft boat needs twins, period. No free lunches with a single engine. The money you spend on a high hp single will catch up fast to what it will cost to run twin stock power.......
I disagree. I'm pleased with the performance of my boat with a stock 525efi. If I was going to run twin BBCs, I would go longer than 30'. In an efficient 30' hull, it would be SBCs, or OB's for me.

I guess I am an exception to that rule too. For what I paid for my boat I could of gotten into a pretty nice larger, twin engine boat, maybe a few yrs. older. Cost of ownership was not a deciding factor for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.