Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
A degree in business is very vague and does not set you up well for your first job! I know I got a BBA in 83, went back to school and picked up a BS in computer science and it was easy to find a job.
Business administration is good. Computers would be ok but that limits you too, unless thats what you want.

You know(OP) to be an officer you either have to go to an academy ie West Point, Anapolis, I beleive the AF's is The academy. Or you go to college and join their ROTC. Army and AF both have them. If you look on th web you can contact certain school to see who has them. If you want a four year scholarship from them you should start now. Take in mind to get into a service academy your grades need to be top notch, you need to be involved and you need a congressional appointment. If you do ROTC there is no appointment but they still look for good grades, atheletes, etc. I think ROTC is the better option you dont have to get up at 05-0600 every morning 90% of your weekends are off. Spring break and xmas off. Your summers are off except for one where you are gone for a month. Academy cadets usually have a lot of their summers taken up. Greatest thing of it all is when you graduate you get the same rank and same pay as somebody that came out of west point or Anapolis. Granted a West point education is like a harvard degree.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Business administration is good. Computers would be ok but that limits you too, unless thats what you want.

Don't necessarily agree that computers limit you! Every major corporation has a large IT department and automation is a key to being competitive. With that said I would not get into the field now if I was coming out of school, US programmers have to compete with resources from India who work for $500 a month.

I have twin daughters that are Sr's in high school they are both looking into the health care field. I hope this will be a good choice for them.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Don't necessarily agree that computers limit you! Every major corporation has a large IT department and automation is a key to being competitive. With that said I would not get into the field now if I was coming out of school, US programmers have to compete with resources from India who work for $500 a month.

I have twin daughters that are Sr's in high school they are both looking into the health care field. I hope this will be a good choice for them.
nursing is good if you dont want to be a doctor, which takes about 10 years of schooling and massive debt. Other jobs in health care that pay bank are X ray techs, not the people that take them but people that look at them. Also people that do sonograms. I would stay far far away from teaching unless your state has a massive need. Think the key while being in college is working for company that you could work your way into after graduating or is in the field you want to do, even if its for less. I know kids have to make money but working at bars or applebees does nothing for you.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by My Addiction
work hard, play hard

you dont stop playing b/c you get old, you get old b/c you stop playing.
Really???? I guess I will live forever!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

+1. When I graduated in '86 with a BS in Computer Science I interviewed with @ 8 companies and had multiple offers to choose from. Not that way anymore. My son is a freshman in college and is currently undecided on a career path. I'm trying to steer him away from IT but ultimately it is his decision.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
+1. When I graduated in '86 with a BS in Computer Science I interviewed with @ 8 companies and had multiple offers to choose from. Not that way anymore. My son is a freshman in college and is currently undecided on a career path. I'm trying to steer him away from IT but ultimately it is his decision.
My neighbor is an Anesthesiologist and recommended this for my daughters.
Nurse Anesthetist Salary Information:

The average nurse anesthetist salary is near the $150,000 range. This is far better than any other nursing salary in the United States.

Not sue how accurate but could be a good choice for some!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

not sure why everyone is throwing out salary figures in terms of happiness. people who make 150k plus arent necessarily happy with there jobs. do what you love.

also you cant generalize occupational earnings. there are exceptions for everything. i.e. some general physicians make only 80-100k a year while others make 250k.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
not sure why everyone is throwing out salary figures in terms of happiness. people who make 150k plus arent necessarily happy with there jobs. do what you love.

also you cant generalize occupational earnings. there are exceptions for everything. i.e. some general physicians make only 80-100k a year while others make 250k.
I agree with you on happiness, I hope my daughters can find something that they enjoy pays well and can raise their children and not necessarily have to work all the time.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

My neighbor is an Anesthesiologist and recommended this for my daughters.
Nurse Anesthetist Salary Information:

The average nurse anesthetist salary is near the $150,000 range. This is far better than any other nursing salary in the United States.

Not sue how accurate but could be a good choice for some!
I would think a nurse at that rate might be high end I would think you would be looking more at high 80's either way a good job
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2

As I have said before money doesnt make happiness but without you arent happy either. If somebody doesnt have a life but makes 150k a year compared to the guy that has a life but only makes 80 I would pick the 80. But I would also take a 150k income over 30-40k a year too. Its all relative making 150k a year in LA or NYC is like making 50-60 in rural areas. That doctor thats 300k into debt isnt out of debt and really making money until they are 35-40 years old. The one contstant is some form of education with out some you either will need some luck or a huge break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.