Pistols and boats...State lines and rules >

Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Notices

Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Old 06-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Gumbydammit

Question Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Let me preface this with a statement.
If you are an anti-gun freak, please don't reply. Some of us still use what rights we have left under the piece of political toilet paper that sadly (VERY sadly) our constitution has become.
That being said.....

Yesterday the sound was like glass and I found myself in another state.
In CT, you have to keep your weapon totally concealed. I have no idea what the NY laws are, but I know you have to be secret service to get a permit in NYC.

Here is the question: Do any of you know how the laws are enforced on the water? If your boat is registered in one state and you find yourself in another state, but still floating....is it any different from crossing a state line in a car?

I imagine that the great lakes folks must have some interesting issues when they get to Canada....but when does it become Canada? On the water, or at the dock?

DEP was useless (which is interesting, cause they usually know everything). State Police did not know when you are "crossing a state line" in a boat, but did tell me that everything changes a few miles offshore, or if you drift involuntarily. If it is a loss of power drift situation, your home state laws apply as long as you are on the boat. (Something about "Force Majure" in an emergency situation.)?????

Anyone have any info about this? Or would you know where to direct me?

Old 06-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are in another country as soon as you drop anchor or tie up. I would assume that it would aply to another state as well. If you boat into NY but never drop anchor your still under CT law. There are no freeking lines out there and it goes back to before the days of GPS and high tech navigation but that is the law. Now you can go from state to state just put your gun in one lock box and your ammo in another and you can transport over state lines as I have been told by police and many other gun carriers in MA. I also have a licens to carry concealed in MA and I enjoy going ot he range. When I have to carry say 100 grand worth of equipment through a not so good part of town you better believe I prepair for the worst and pray to God for the best.

Jon
Old 06-20-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe it is no different then a car except once you step foot on land in NY or Ma or where ever you have to follow the rules of that state. Now what happens if the Coast Guard stops you I am not sure.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I have been stopped by the coast guard and know for a fact that they will not search your boat if you answer yes to the guns on board question. They do not want to deal with it. They may ask were the guns are and if you tell them over there they will say to stay away from that area of the boat. Then they ask for the license. I say yes even though I never have them on board just because it makes the search/safty inspection take a LOT less time.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought international waters started 5 miles out?

As to the great lakes, I've never had a problem. Of course, I've never been stopped and I don't pack. However, (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe that most states will hit you for a concealed weapon if it's not in plain sight. Disclosing that you have a weapon under the seat will not get you out of the charge.

Oh, yea. There's something about the weapon being in a case.

Last edited by Cord; 06-20-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Cord I am not sure if you are talking about when out of state or what. In MA anyhow you MUST have your gun concealed at all times. Showing it or flashing it can be cosiderd a threat to some one so it has to stay hidden. If out of state it has to stay in the locked up box. I can carry my gun into banks, airports (not through securrity), anywere BUT court houses, and federal buildings. If I want I can put it in a locked box and check it through with my lugage out to California and then Nickslick and I can go shooting. However it HAS to stay in the locked box.

Jon
Old 06-20-2002, 11:02 AM
Gumbydammit

Same way in CT. If anyone can clearly see that you have a gun, it is considered a threat. You have to keep it totally concealed.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Oh and in MA you CAN NOT leave it in the car EVER!!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 11:15 AM
ursus

It becomes Canada when you cross the border which is a line in the middle of the lake in most places, same as it becomes the USA when you cross the line going the other way, there is no international water in the middle of the great lakes.

Old 06-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are stopped by the Canadian Police (OPP) in there water with a gun plan on a long stay. You are in Canada when your in there waters. This includes a flair GUN being concered a weapon. If in Mi waters your not breaking the law.

Quick Reply: Pistols and boats...State lines and rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.