Like Tree0Likes

Gratton Lawsuit Filed

Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
  #71
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTAX454 View Post
Does Florida have limitations to the percentage of the award that a trial attorney can receive? Just curious.
I do not know the answer to that, I am licensed in NJ. Sorry I could not answer that for you.

On a different point, real answers to most of the factual questions will be found in the discovery process. Until those answers are provided let the bullsh*t continue.

I am done in this thread.
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
  #72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,094
Default

What is being questioned is whether or not the sanctioning body did what it said it was going to do.
If SBI did everything they were supposed to, then all will be fine. (They should have disclosed it sooner to prevent this, perhaps.)
However, if they misled people and did NOT provide what they promised, then in reality the racers were not making an informed choice and that does cause a problem.
All racers know the inherent risks and that is not what is being questioned. What is in question is whether they had everything that they were expecting.

The best way I can sum up my feeling is with this synopsis.
People die everyday in car accidents. Safety features have been improved to reduce this risk, however it still happens. Now, you may die even in an airbag equipped car and there should be no reason to sue the manufacturer . However, if the car was supposed to be equipped with air bags and they were not installed.... then we there is a legitimate reason to file a suit.
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
  #73
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
What is being questioned is whether or not the sanctioning body did what it said it was going to do.
If SBI did everything they were supposed to, then all will be fine. (They should have disclosed it sooner to prevent this, perhaps.)
However, if they misled people and did NOT provide what they promised, then in reality the racers were not making an informed choice and that does cause a problem.
All racers know the inherent risks and that is not what is being questioned. What is in question is whether they had everything that they were expecting.

The best way I can sum up my feeling is with this synopsis.
People die everyday in car accidents. Safety features have been improved to reduce this risk, however it still happens. Now, you may die even in an airbag equipped car and there should be no reason to sue the manufacturer . However, if the car was supposed to be equipped with air bags and they were not installed.... then we there is a legitimate reason to file a suit.
Tom I agree with your example with one exception

In the real world, had that car accident happened the attorneys would sue the car manufacturer, the steering wheel manufacturer, the air bag manufacturer, and the car dealership that sold the car (even if they had no reason to believe the air bags were not installed) And if the car had been used on a tv commercial and sold due to the customer seeing that commercial the people who made the commercial will be sued! It is just so fricking wrong
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
  #74
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Interceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
My Boats: one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.
Posts: 3,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme View Post
Tom I agree with your example with one exception

In the real world, had that car accident happened the attorneys would sue the car manufacturer, the steering wheel manufacturer, the air bag manufacturer, and the car dealership that sold the car (even if they had no reason to believe the air bags were not installed) And if the car had been used on a tv commercial and sold due to the customer seeing that commercial the people who made the commercial will be sued! It is just so fricking wrong
My ex was sued in Michigan when a double bottom gasoline tanker skidded through a red light and hit our car and two others and killed the passenger in one of the cars. The tanker and trailer exploded and basically burned everything in sight. By way of a miracle my ex escaped the inferno by driving out with all four tires aflame.
Every vehicle owner in the accident was sued along with many vehicle component suppliers.
Interceptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #75
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
PARADOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Florida attorneys as well as attorneys in New Jersey are not permitted to make a phone call to an accident victim(s), or the the family of an accident victim. Written communication is permitted in Florida after 30 days have passed since the accident, "In addition, if the written communication concerns an action relating to an accident or disaster involving the recipient or a relative of the recipient, the communication may not be sent until 30 days after the accident or disaster."[/B]

The family calls the attorney, that is how it works. Attorneys are not ambulance chasers as some people may want to portray them. The attorneys that do try to solicit via phone and or violate the rules of ethics will get disbarred or sanctioned, plain and simple.

Hope that clears up the speculation.

Don't want to start a major argument, but do you know how many ways I could make contact with some one and no one would know it's me? I got "contacts" all the time form people "no affiliated " with some one else, and at the end of the day it was his/her son that called.
Anyrate. Just a few questions, (sorry if it's answered before) Why file in Broward? I thought Joey was still alive when he got out of the boat. (I seem to remember reading somethnig about injuries and he was breathing) not sure. This drowining just sounds fishy.
PARADOX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
  #76
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Florida & Tarpon Springs Florida
My Boats: I think I have a Center Console now
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
Don't want to start a major argument, but do you know how many ways I could make contact with some one and no one would know it's me? I got "contacts" all the time form people "no affiliated " with some one else, and at the end of the day it was his/her son that called.
Anyrate. Just a few questions, (sorry if it's answered before) Why file in Broward? I thought Joey was still alive when he got out of the boat. (I seem to remember reading somethnig about injuries and he was breathing) not sure. This drowining just sounds fishy.
Filed in Broward so Mr. Allweis can be paid more for travel
tanner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
  #77
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
AJ POWERPLAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MID MI
My Boats: 38 Powerplay
Posts: 2,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike tkach View Post
do you really think this suit will put an end to offshore racing in florida,i hope not,but with a law on the books that states sponsers can be held responsible,you may be right.
You'd be surprised... It put Smoke on the Water to sleep here in Michigan, that was an excellent event saw some great chopper footage of the last one ran
AJ POWERPLAY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 AM
  #78
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfisher View Post
You'd be surprised... It put Smoke on the Water to sleep here in Michigan, that was an excellent event saw some great chopper footage of the last one ran
Yep it pretty much killed our event
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 AM
  #79
Registered
 
boatme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
My Boats: Sold the Cig
Posts: 4,026
Default

On a more light hearted note

I wrote some music lyrics (actualy i wrote two songs) for our last election and I just came across them again

I think Lawyers being law makers is a conflict of interest and this song speaks to that. It was fun to write and it still makes me smile when i bring it back up

(Verse)
Lawyers are liars and we can't get a break
they aren't really helping us it's about the money they make

So you say you slipped and fell got hurt on the street
give Sam a call and a settlement we will meet

It does not matter if you truly have been harmed
will sue someone for a leg and also an arm

WE don't need an excuse to place blame on others
when were done with this guy will just sue another

(Chorus)
Lawyers are liars they just want our money
It's always someone elses fault this just isn't funny
To be great in politics you need a law degree
I don't like their actions they don't represent me

(Verse)
Were you driving drunk and ran in to a wall
Pick up the phone you know who to call

We will blame the car or the beer for its attraction
if many have consumed it we will start a class action

We need to revolt against the lawyers money mission
but there is nowhere to turn most become a judge or politician

The rule when voting for your country's good health
don't vote in a lawyer you just increase their wealth

(Chorus)
Lawyers are liars they just want our money
It's always someone elses fault this just isn't funny
To be great in politics you need a law degree
I don't like their actions they don't represent me

(Verse)
We all know this country is in serious world trouble
the end is near as we sit watching the bubble
don't vote lawyers into office it only will go south
they only speak the truth when they don't open their mouth


Give them your money they will use it to campaign
Then become president and treat us with distain

(Chorus)
Lawyers are liars they just want our money
It's always someone elses fault this just isn't funny
To be great in politics you need a law degree
I don't like their actions they don't represent me

(Verse)
If you think they are there to help you out of your distress
they will just fuel the flames and make things a mess
It is always someone elses's fault that is their moto
They promice you answers and cash like you hit the loto

Other peoples money is there life's long mission
The bigger the pay off the bigger thier commission
So think twice before you vote for a new world leader
He might just be a leagle system bottom feeder

(Chorus)
Lawyers are liars they just want our money
It's always someone elses fault this just isn't funny
To be great in politics you need a law degree
I don't like their actions they don't represent me
boatme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
  #80
Registered
 
Phantom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lake Murray, SC
My Boats: 30' Phantom
Posts: 5,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
What is being questioned is whether or not the sanctioning body did what it said it was going to do.
If SBI did everything they were supposed to, then all will be fine. (They should have disclosed it sooner to prevent this, perhaps.)
However, if they misled people and did NOT provide what they promised, then in reality the racers were not making an informed choice and that does cause a problem.
All racers know the inherent risks and that is not what is being questioned. What is in question is whether they had everything that they were expecting.
That is the best post on this thread yet in my opinion. I raced offshore for three years ('99, '00 & '01), and can tell you that there was a strong level of comfort that the divers "had my back". Did I look at them as being able to save me in any circumstance? No, but they were a good "safety net"....or "back up" plan. I liken it to skydiving. You know the potential for accidents, but you put a certain level of trust in the company that is taking you up, packed your chute, and went over all of the safety rules/recommendations. All of a sudden your main chute doesn't open, you expect for the back up/secondary chute to work right? What happens if the secondary chute doesn't open quick enough? The skydiving company said that it would be an extra level of safety....

I think those of you that are criticizing the Grattons are underestimating the family. I knew them very well when I raced and still think the world of them. In my opinion, they are suing to obtain factual data regarding the accident - something that hasn't been shared with them voluntarily. Just one man's thoughts and opinions.....
Phantom1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.