Commentary: State of the Industry—My Turn

Notices

Commentary: State of the Industry—My Turn

Old 02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Default Commentary: State of the Industry—My Turn

As we head into the 2012 Miami show this week, http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...rymy-turn.html.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, untill loan money loosens up not much will change. I am looking and even with an 850 credit score and very low debt to income ratio I am wondering if even I can get bought. I have not tried yet as I do not know what I want and I can come in with my own financing but thats not the point I am trying to make. The reason there are no go- fast boats at most shows is because even if you close a deal you will more than likely lose it later in the week.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Matt, untill loan money loosens up not much will change. I am looking and even with an 850 credit score and very low debt to income ratio I am wondering if even I can get bought. I have not tried yet as I do not know what I want and I can come in with my own financing but thats not the point I am trying to make. The reason there are no go- fast boats at most shows is because even if you close a deal you will more than likely lose it later in the week.
Agree with you 100 percent. I've written a lot about the lending issue on both the consumer and dealer sides and again, I agree with you.

I was just trying to define, from where I sit, where the industry is now.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

The loans aren't the only issue. Insurance/fuel/storage are all formidable costs on top of the payment, all of which are significantly higher than say 10 years ago.

In addition, the younger generation doesn't have the interest in boats like earlier generations. This has happened in the auto industry, with Harley Davidson and sports such as golf as well. Kids today would rather have the latest/greatest phone than a drivers license (I have seen that in my own neighborhood). Neighbor's kid is getting college offers from all over the country for baseball yet he doesn't even have a driver's license, could care less.

Harley is seeing a drop in sales since the next generation rider after the baby boomers aren't interested in the Harley lifestyle. In country clubs this is happening also, the next generation of golfer simply doesn't want to join a club or play 50 rounds of golf a year leaving the clubs underfunded with the lack of new members.

To further compound the issue, boating has a shorter season than motorcycling/golfing and tends to be more hassle to do (get boat, fuel it, pack cooler, hope nothing breaks etc).