Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Racing 565 Not ‘Recalled’ >

Mercury Racing 565 Not ‘Recalled’

Notices

Mercury Racing 565 Not ‘Recalled’

Old 03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since they found the issue with only having a few motors in existence, it's not called a recall....duh. It's called a "my bad, you probably, might, should, let us re-do those for you and we will act like nothing happened"

I like the engines... But to each their own, I'm calling this a recall that hit pretty quick. Of course Merc would have given the answer they did ("nothing is wrong, don't worry") as would any corporation given a way out like this.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Instead of a recall, it would be safe to call it an "update", as most automotive manufacturers do.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by F3504x4ps
Definition of 'Product Recall'
The process of retrieving defective goods from consumers (BOAT MFG) and providing those consumers with compensation (NEW ENGINE). Recalls often occur as a result of safety concerns over a manufacturing defect in a product that may harm its user. (VALVE SEAT DROP, ENGINE GO BOOM, BOAT DOA IN WATER)
From what i have been told, the valve seats were not "defective" and there were no "safety concerns over a manufacturing defect that may cause harm to the user." The newer material reportedly is "better."

My educated guess is that if the material was "defective" Mercury Racing would have demanded the engines back immediately rather than letting Cigarette, Formula and Nor-Tech make their own decisions.

Guys, I really have no dog in this fight. I am reporting what the key principal involved has said on the subject. I made the appropriate phone call and reported what I was told accordingly. If you have a problem with the semantics of the headline, I can accept that.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Geez, I think thats great Mercury Racing is going to change valve seats that obviously had some issues in endurance testing. Its a lot of work to change valve seats in complete engines isn't it?

But, I pretty much think all performance marine engines produced today are suppossed to be 'endurance" engines. This return for replacement sounds kinda like a "recall" to me?

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck?
then I think it must be a Duck, I mean a recall.

Nice PR try Mercury Racing, at least you are fixing something that needs fix'in! There's a lot of performance boaters who wish you had done more to fix the CMI/Merc header leaks issue though!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

If your product is superior to Mercury Racing promote it. Show me a plug and play engine package I can sell with no issues and I will entertain the idea.

Until then you are telling the G.P. the boats we build with the engines we use are garbage.

Why?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
If your product is superior to Mercury Racing promote it. Show me a plug and play engine package I can sell with no issues and I will entertain the idea.

Until then you are telling the G.P. the boats we build with the engines we use are garbage.

Why?
Ilmor!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Merc did right end of story not defective parts just better ones I bet they are putting in Molstar 90 seats NASCAR stuff put them in my heads great for endurance
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
Instead of a recall, it would be safe to call it an "update", as most automotive manufacturers do.
That probably is a better and more accurate word for what happened. Think about the software world, for example. If "updates" were "recalls" my Microsoft Office stuff would be getting a recall every month.

Not apples to apples, of course, but you get my drift.

It's kind of like the difference between "correction" and "retraction" in publishing. With correction, you kick yourself and vow to work harder. With retraction, you lose your job.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for them, better they catch it now and take care of the problem instead of doing what the did with the header issue on the 525's. Can't count how many headers I had to replace at my expense. Also the damage done to at least one motor, that I had to pay for. I'm surprised that no one put forth a class action against CMI and Mercury.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris@uga
Ilmor!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Active thunder:
I was not bashing Mercury Racing for returning the first six engines for a "update' "recall" quite to the contrary I was giving them praise in the post for improving their product and standing behind it with a better product. I was just making a point of the fact when you bring an engine back in for valve seat replacement it always appears to be what many would call a "recall"
My comments were not to put a bad reflection on Mercury or its products but a good reflection of a manufacturer who is making their product better. And as I said in the post, wish they could have done the same for the header issue.

Kudos to you and your fine reputation for a quality, great performing and reliable boat! Hope you continue to grow and prosper in this difficult business. I am glad there are companies like Mercury and Ilmor who can supply you with great power and drive packages that help sell your product.

Sorry to have ruffled some feathers, my apology.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 03-14-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.