Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Run in Norfolk, Va. Beach Area. . .bring your "Offshore" boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27257-poker-run-norfolk-va-beach-area-bring-your-offshore-boat.html)

Reckless32 06-27-2002 01:44 PM

Surgin' General

Start time will be 10am.
The first leg will leave from Little Creek Basin (which is where a Naval Amphib base is located and amphib ships) which sits on the northern Va. Beach shoreline between the Hampton Roads & Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels. We'll depart to the east, then turn the corner of Cape Henry, which begins the Atlantic Ocean, (first settler landing and where one of the historic lighthouses still stand) and head south down the oceanfront. This will take us to the southern end of the resort strip where we'll enter Rudee Inlet for our first stop.

We'll run back to just east of the ChesBay tunnel and enter Lynnhaven Inlet and Broad Bay area's. We'll hit two cards and a lunch stop at Marina Shores.

From there we run to the downtown Hampton waterfront, and the downtown Norfolk waterfront called Waterside. We'll pass the Norfolk Naval Base where you'll see aircraft carriers, cruisers, submarines, etc. The crew will get an eye full of our Naval combatants and be able to get plenty of pics. Also, the Norfolk waterfront has the USS Wisconsin Battleship for viewing. She may even be our Norfolk card stop (I'm still workin' it). We'll end back at Little Creek Basin NLT 4pm.

After the last stop it'll be free time until approx. 6-7pm when the post-run party will take place and the prizes for best hands.

**There will be a second poker run happening at the same tim efor the family runabouts and cruiser type boats. They'll have a less aggressive route to accomodate their speed and sea state capabilities. Also, if by chance the seas really turn to crap we'll have a plan-B route to keep us off the Atlantic and more to the inland side of the Bay.

The legs are good and long and includes lots of space for great running except for the Norfolk portion where we enter the Elizabeth River. Hope to see you and any other fellow OSO bubba's who want to run in the big water. It'll be a great opportunity to see what your boat' really got.....:D

BryanTuvell 06-27-2002 02:33 PM

Are we getting our last card at the party?
What happened to Hampton?

Bryan

BryanTuvell 06-27-2002 04:53 PM

BillR, could you post the go fast route .jpg? I tried to resize it from our website with no luck.
Thanks Bill.
B

BillR 06-27-2002 04:58 PM

HRPA poker run fast route:

Reckless32 06-28-2002 11:49 PM

I mentioned Hampton and yes, last card at the party...

BillR 06-30-2002 11:18 PM

That route will sure cover some territory. Nice long run.

BillR 07-22-2002 11:36 AM

Only about 2 more weeks to go.
Any OSO members coming to run with us?

See this thread too:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...ight=poker+run

I think the Richmond Power Boat Association will be coming down to run this event. Should be lots of HOT boats too see! Followed up with a whoop ass party.

Also some NICE items to be raffled off at the event:

Yamaha audio System
Yamaha 6 piece home theater speakers
Pioneer DVD player
and lots more!!

This is a big event. Not some small back woods event!

pmcrespo 07-22-2002 12:17 PM

Poker Run Indeed

You know I'll be there!!!!!

Looking forward to the event. Judging by the last two events involving the Richmond Power Boat Association Poker Run and this weekend's Rendevouz with The hampton Roads Powerboat Association, the Little Creek PR is one event not to be missed!!!!!

I'll get a new "Air Time" log for the Fountain and will be there able, willing, and ready.......

Yes Bryan, I will leave the Puertorican rum at the dock for Sat night.......

It will certainly be great if we can get a lot of the OSO members down. It is going to be an awesome run and weekend...

Pablo

Offshoreracr 07-22-2002 12:22 PM

I don't think there is any poker run in the mid-atlantic that will give you this long of a run and take you to 3 cities. Not to mention a great price and its for a great cause. I'm in and hope everyone that has a go-fast boat will get in also.
Tommy:D :p :D

Reckless32 07-22-2002 12:24 PM

Pablo my man! Got your email now, no no more excuses in the future....;)

If you wanted some air-time you should've headed back our way yesterday. The boat hulls really got the stress test, as well as the steering wheels, but everyone came out unscathed.

looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. BTW, leave the rum at home.....:p

Rick Elkins
288 Sunsation