Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist? >

Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?

Like Tree0Likes

Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered

My Boat: 1990 Mirage 257 , twin 6.2 MX
Talking

Just want to add more to the debate on used ,the windshield on the Mirage is made by Taylormade. Cables are Morse, shifters are Gaffrig, you can replace it with Livorsi if you will, gas tank is aluminum made by who ever.So there you have it. Be more concerned how the hulls are made.The Mirage is a solid layup [ no balsa or foamcore] has innerliner, hull and deck joined with methacrylate . Bolster seats fastened from the frames with machine screws into embedded nuts in the seat frame bottom.They went out of business in 2002 ,despite the incorrect info on the internet.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered

My Boat: Open Slip - formerly Formula'd

Originally Posted by 88242LS View Post
Moving up?
88242LS: No, moving out - for now, anyway. My work situation is so different now from when I bought the boat...I envisioned things a lot different at the time. Would still like a boat, but something more like a Donzi Sweet 16' would fit the bill better I think - maybe down the road...

hadleycat: - Thanks for the compliment - Best I've seen was 54 on a very smooth inland lake, wth very little gas, just me and my iPhone's GPS speedo.

Boat has 499 orig hrs - and still runs very strong.

Thankfully - looks like I have a buyer.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Registered

I see the point you guys are making. Most of the parts are commodity items. No wonder everybody and their brother gets into the boat building business.

I realize boats break all the time, but I do need to stay clear of project boats, which happens a lot with these older boats. I just don't have the time. I've got two big projects already, my house (it breaks like a boat) and my business.

Blackjack, that's a pretty boat. Good luck with the sale.

Michael
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Registered

My Boat: 17 sutphen/22 avanti

One of the main reasons for buying my avanti was the windsheild.. i equate it to an Porsche 911 speedster windsheild. low and sleek... similar style can be found on pantera sport 24 etc...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered

we can build you a 25 cat with an Aero Marine windshield

Attached Thumbnails Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?-dsc04529.jpg   Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?-l-2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Michael, I think you need a new boat but don't have the budget to get what you really want (do any of us? ). You have said you want something reliable, turn key although that's not guaranteed in a new boat either.

Seems to me, given your size and budget limitations that you're going to have to go used. As said, I wouldn't worry about a mfg being out of business. My last Baja was a '98 and I never replaced a single Baja part on it. Only regular maintenance using Merc parts (impellers, etc). Nothing ever broke on that boat and I did not baby it (although I was meticulous about maintenance).

I would look for a clean used boat and then factor in some refurbishing. When you look, make a list of what needs to be done and then get estimates from reputable marine service centers. That way you can have a nice older boat and not have to be messing with it all the time (somewhat).

I am concerned about your time restrictions though. I spend a lot of time with my boat, not on the water. I like to clean everything in and out including the trailer, fiddle in the engine compartment, organize the storage areas and generally putz around in it. You may want to seriously assess your buying decision. Any boat, performance or not, will require work. You've been looking for a long time, might be better to just bum rides!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are some smaller Bajas in the classifieds, a nice 26 with a windshield as well.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...b171_0-en.html
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

Hey Michael, a couple more things.

Have you looked into marina storage? I don't know about Channel Islands or Ventura but Dana Point has on trailer storage. They will launch and trailer the boat for you (I would be sure to stay for the wash down to make sure it's cleaned properly). That way you could go bigger and wouldn't need a truck.

Also, have you considered CC's or even a RIB? They have windshields and could be a cheaper alternative.

Or maybe you should just get one of these :

http://www.bayliner.com/page.aspx/pa...ner-Cuddy.aspx
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

My Boat: ??? and a Bennington

I would rather fix a boat then spend time wondering if I had a boat what would go wrong.

Pull the trigger... lets go already....
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: Wellcraft Excalibur 26

wellcraft excalibur

has twice the cockpit room of any other go fast its size and can get to 80 easy with the right power plant. Scarrab hull 24% deadrise.

http://www.boatingbay.com/listings/2...bur-93750.html

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser