Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist? >

Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?

Notices

Offshore Performance Boat Under 26' With Windshield - Does This Exist?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I would rather fix a boat then spend time wondering if I had a boat what would go wrong.

Pull the trigger... lets go already....
Yeah, what Chris said.

Besides, you're not a "Real Boater" until you've gone though 3 or 4 or more boats trying to find the right one and losing money on each one!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bout Flippen time! Still have yet to c a better boat & deal than the Martini i mentioned better than a month ago! Just MHO. Late! Rich
K so i guess it was less than a month ago! Still kinda tired!

Last edited by golfmaxgolf; 04-19-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Michael, I think you need a new boat but don't have the budget to get what you really want (do any of us? ). You have said you want something reliable, turn key although that's not guaranteed in a new boat either.

Seems to me, given your size and budget limitations that you're going to have to go used. As said, I wouldn't worry about a mfg being out of business. My last Baja was a '98 and I never replaced a single Baja part on it. Only regular maintenance using Merc parts (impellers, etc). Nothing ever broke on that boat and I did not baby it (although I was meticulous about maintenance).

I would look for a clean used boat and then factor in some refurbishing. When you look, make a list of what needs to be done and then get estimates from reputable marine service centers. That way you can have a nice older boat and not have to be messing with it all the time (somewhat).

I am concerned about your time restrictions though. I spend a lot of time with my boat, not on the water. I like to clean everything in and out including the trailer, fiddle in the engine compartment, organize the storage areas and generally putz around in it. You may want to seriously assess your buying decision. Any boat, performance or not, will require work. You've been looking for a long time, might be better to just bum rides!
I appreciate the thoughtful comments. The time issue is a problem, and the older the boat, the more that will break. Cleaning, maintenance, and the occassional repair is OK, but I can't get into a boat that requires repairs just about every time you go out (I've seen those). I just don't have the time. I suppose the ideal situation would be an order boat that was fully restored with a lot of new parts.

Michael
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noli

we can build you a 25 cat with an Aero Marine windshield

Unfortunately, I can't get cat insurance. It's strange that I can go out and buy a car that will triple the speed limit, and get insurance, no problem. A cat? Their answer, is "NO!"

Michael
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redline By RPM. One of the best new boats out.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERCATDON
Redline By RPM. One of the best new boats out.
????

He just said he cant get insurance for a cat and you suggest a cat 40 minutes after his last post??
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Hey Michael, a couple more things.

Have you looked into marina storage? I don't know about Channel Islands or Ventura but Dana Point has on trailer storage. They will launch and trailer the boat for you (I would be sure to stay for the wash down to make sure it's cleaned properly). That way you could go bigger and wouldn't need a truck.

Also, have you considered CC's or even a RIB? They have windshields and could be a cheaper alternative.

Or maybe you should just get one of these :

http://www.bayliner.com/page.aspx/pa...ner-Cuddy.aspx
Al, all great ideas...well, except one.

Spoke to Channel Islands Marina yesterday, and they said there is one dry storage yard. The guy at the yard said they are limited to 6600 pounds. The real problem is, they only launch with a sling, and they can't use it if winds are above 12 mph. The yacht club I belong to used them for a while, and sometimes you would get down there, but couldn't get your boat in the water. Other times, you would have the boat on the water, but they couldn't hoist it out, so it had to sit overnight. A group of boats would be bunched up, and, inevitably, some would bang into each other, resulting in scratches.

Ventura Harbor also has dry storage, but lengths are limited to 30 feet including the far back of the boat to the trailer tongue. They often don't have spaces available, and there is no launching service.

My truck tows 5000 pounds. I could go a bit over that for short distances say from the yard to the ramp, but how much over I don't know. I don't want to bend the frame.

I'm a more open minded to CC's now, and have looked through the classifieds for them. I haven't thought about a RIB, though.

Now comes the Bayliner. It's funny that you mention this boat. I saw it at the L.A. boat show, and was thinking to myself at $30K, it seems like a lot of boat. I climbed aboard, and looked at the cabin. The headliner consisted of fabric glued to the bottom of the deck, and it looked like, well, fabric glued to the bottom of the deck and over the top of wires, bolts, etc. I sat in the drivers seat, and noticed that the liner was so thin, my feet actually pushed the footwell in a bit. Unless it is some sort of space age, high modulus of elasticity material, I don't see how that can last.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 04-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Schweeng
I would rather fix a boat then spend time wondering if I had a boat what would go wrong.

Pull the trigger... lets go already....
Thanks, Chris, for the advice. That way I can fix the boat, AND spend time wondering why I bought this thing.

Michael
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know anything about Advantage boats, but here's a nice looking 25 cuddy. Cabin seems pretty large. Custom boat, available with OB or IO.

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Ad...tion/130540831
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by golfmaxgolf
Bout Flippen time! Still have yet to c a better boat & deal than the Martini i mentioned better than a month ago! Just MHO. Late! Rich
K so i guess it was less than a month ago! Still kinda tired!
I can't find the Martini you are referring to. I searched in both forums you mentioned in the previous post.

Michael