Notices

Illinois Use Tax Audit

Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Chances are they compared it to 3 other boats sold in the state that year. Like I said earlier your buddy played the game of saying he paid 500 bucks for something that was worth 10k.

You arent going to beat the state. Government has hired more bean counters than ever. The days of scamming the system are over. Although I do think that its BS to have to keep paying salest tax on an item that is used 2-3-4 times overs. Somebody brilliant like earlier will say just most, well thats economical. And you can fight it, but it will cost more to fight it than to just pay it.

And whoever said 90k people left because of this, come on now you serious.
Not sure how you came to believe he falsified what he paid for his boats. He did not. He got some good deals in a soft market. The question is what method did the state use to determine what he should have paid. We all know guys were buying boats way under what their value was listed in sources like NADA.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Pretty ballsy to accuse Knot's buddy of fraud...
My transaction was 100% legit, and I was still audited. I got a steal on my boat, and they apparently didn't believe me until I furnished them the proof they wanted. They've since sent me a letter saying that my audit file has been closed since I provided them with the proof they needed.
Thanks, Wasted. You are exactly right. All legit transactions. He got some good deals like many other people have the last few years. We are not talking about high end, high dollar boats here and tens of thousands of dollars in disagreement. All boats were used and purchased from individuals. The most expensive boat would have been the 2006 26' Crownline he bought last summer. I don't know what he ended up paying but I know the asking price was around $47K. No one is going to submit to the state they paid $500 for a boat that new.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 03-29-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Had wrong year for boat
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no doubt that the reason I was audited was that I bought my boat for $14,000 less than the NADA average value.

Was so satisfying to send them the paperwork proof, when they thought they had nailed me. Kinda wanted to tell them to shove it and fugg off, but I figured that would just prompt a more thorough tax audit, lol.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I have no doubt that the reason I was audited was that I bought my boat for $14,000 less than the NADA average value.

Was so satisfying to send them the paperwork proof, when they thought they had nailed me. Kinda wanted to tell them to shove it and fugg off, but I figured that would just prompt a more thorough tax audit, lol.
I texted my buddy asking for what the contested amount is. He said it is only on the most recent boat he bought last summer, not the other two he has also purchased since 2006. They say he should have paid $8K more than he did. I passed along your story to him. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Thanks, Wasted. You are exactly right. All legit transactions. He got some good deals like many other people have the last few years. We are not talking about high end, high dollar boats here and tens of thousands of dollars in disagreement. All boats were used and purchased from individuals. The most expensive boat would have been the 2006 26' Crownline he bought last summer. I don't know what he ended up paying but I know the asking price was around $47K. No one is going to submit to the state they paid $500 for a boat that new.
I apologize and fair enough. If you are legit send the paperwork in and be done with it. Coming on here asking WTF and whatever else shows me guilt that is all. If you did the right thing send the paperwork in, to easy, no sense in argueing why you have to do it,
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Also beware that if you sell a boat you use for buisness you must collect and pay sales tax for it even if you are not a dealer and the buyer pays the sales tax to the state. State collected sales tax twice and I was out $. This goes for any sales.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I apologize and fair enough. If you are legit send the paperwork in and be done with it. Coming on here asking WTF and whatever else shows me guilt that is all. If you did the right thing send the paperwork in, to easy, no sense in argueing why you have to do it,
???? I posted for a friend of mine, who is not on this site, if anyone else has received this Use Tax Audit in the state of Illinois. He was wanting to know if I knew of anyone else that has been audited so I told him I would ask around. How does this show guilt on his part? What is your hard on over something that does not affect you in the least bit since you do not live in Illinois?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I said I apologize. I thought there was trolling going on
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

SOLDIER4402,in post 12 you admitted that you are a scammer,maybe you should leave this thread alone,instead of accusing other people of being scammers,some of us do play by the rules,unlike you,GET IT!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Since we are on this subject.

I just printed some interesting info off of the Illinois DNR website. It says

"Boats Exempted from registration and titling: Watercraft shall not be required to be registered and titled under this act if it is:

1. A watercraft that has a valid marine document issued by the United States Coast Guard, EXCEPT that any such documented vessel used upon the water of this State for more than 60 days in any calender year shall be registered in compliance with this act. "

So, lets say you trailer your boat. I use my boat maybe a total of 8 days per month and that boating every weekend. So, from June, July, August, and Sept, thats 32 days of boating, if I boat every single weekend. So, according to this document, I would not need to register or title in illinois, if I am coast guard documented. heck, i live in illinois, but 90% of my boating is done in indiana and michigan waters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.