Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me decide where to go for a week of great boating! >

Help me decide where to go for a week of great boating!

Notices

Help me decide where to go for a week of great boating!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
That lake looks BEAUTIFUL. We will have to look into that for sure.

You read my mind

Looks like we have a lot of decision making to do. Thanks for all the great ideas, and please keep them coming. I'm thinking Northern MI and Chesapeake are probably the front runners. LOTO would be cool, but It's just too damn far for this trip. Someday.

Sam: If we don't make Buffalo, you should join us at the islands this year. You don't even need a boat... we'll make room I think some of the Boyne guys are planning on coming down sometime this summer too. We should time it so that the out of town OSO guys are all here on the same weekend... could be a really good time
would love too, we do CP every year, hoping to bring the boat one of these years thou
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

My house w/your gas card

I've done:

Detroit River, Way cool, big fun!

Georgian Bay, God's country and w/water and scenery you'll not see anywhere else. Can spend days in there and never see another boat! Pick and island and tie up and it's yours!

Mackinaw Island, great trip gorgeous scenery.

As a kid I used to go w/the folks on 3 wk trips (by boat) every Summer from Sandusky to Lake Huron. One yr we'd do the US side and go to Mackinaw and the next the Canadian side.
The Canadian trips taught me to love the Canadian people, their culture and their country.
The marina's/stops on those trips were/are on my A list of best places by boat of all time.
Spent my adult life to this point trying to replicate them and so far, no good.

My last few yrs in Ohio I tried several times to make that trip. Always thought it'd be a hoot in a good running boat compared to the old man's 13 mph cruisers.
Closest I ever came was screwing up and letting a group from Columbus follow me up and starting the trip w/me. Made it as far as Leamington (for the 10th time) when the lake turned and they were stranded there. I could have made it out/west to the river and then north but they couldn't head south/home. I felt responsible and gave up my trip to watch over them.
Coached them ahead of time on what to do/learn/prepare and they did none of it.
Never again!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Just go to Destin with us. Remember you have to be back for the barge party the last Saturday in June.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I read this this am and thought about it all day while working I know we talked about it on the boats last week at the lake too.(Thats cool to say for a yankee in March) Thinking about where I've gone and wanna go, the michigan waters are on my short list of to do's. I just have a hard time pointing north before August...

Consider this. You can be on Lake Norman in 6-7 hours. Cool lake with lots to see and do but, Marinas aren't so much geared towards transients (correct me locals if I'm wrong) but there is one very cool little motel on the water for about 50 bucks a night with a great tiki bar and restraunt. Very nice docks tucked back in a cove under "Slanting Bridge Rd". You could spend the week there cheaper than many nice marinas too. There is a weeks worth of "to do's" there if you run up river and down to the damn.

But... you spend a night or two there then drive 3 hrs to Charleston Harbor and do a day/night there at the party cove/restraunts. Then pick a marina/destination from there like Beaufort (big cruising community nice facilities) put 50 miles of pretty salt water under your hull spend the night on the boat with the "cruisers". Next day relax and motor slowly north in the ditch back to Charleston to spend your fifth night. (switch as needed for weather cond) Then take a cab downtown for dinner on the roof of this very cool seafood place overlooking the main drag.

Sixth morning, pull out and drive 3hrs back to L Norman to flush the salt out and chill out for lunch on/in the fresh water. (nice island beaches) Spend the last night in the lake Norman Motel showered and big beds. Easy drive home on the 7th. 3 nights hotel and 3 on the boat.

That's my suggestion and I'm stickin to it for June. I met your wife and think she'll like it.
Besides, late July is St Clair races and late August is the Loto Shootout trip you gadda do

Load up

Last edited by Underdog88; 03-29-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
My house w/your gas card
Wait Gary that's about when you guys should be up here
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Traverse City! Clinch Marina is super nice, private shower rooms seperate from the restroom, and you can walk anywhere you want, downtown is only 1 block! Paved walking/biking/rollor blade trail, volley ball courts, and SUPER CLEAR water, sand bottom with 30ft clarity!

Options for destinations for a day of boating

Power island....8 miles
Old Mission point lighthouse........18 miles
Suttons bay.....20 miles
Northport......25 miles
Elk Rapids.....25 miles
East Bay.......25 miles
Charlevoix.....50 miles
Plus much more....North and South Manitou islands, Beaver Island, Bay harbor, Harbor springs, Petoskey, Torch Lake, Sleeping bear sand dunes, etc etc!

Kristy and I take the summers off and spend every nice day on the cruiser, baja, jet skis, so look us up and we will show you around!!!!!! 231-534-5060
Tough to beat the Traverse area. Lots of great day trips and great night life. Lots of great little towns along the northern shoreline and some great island destinations. It's on my short list this year. Hit Torch on your way up or way home....or both. The gatherings on the sand bar there are a blast and the lake itself is just plain beautiful.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Traverse City! Clinch Marina is super nice, private shower rooms seperate from the restroom, and you can walk anywhere you want, downtown is only 1 block! Paved walking/biking/rollor blade trail, volley ball courts, and SUPER CLEAR water, sand bottom with 30ft clarity!

Options for destinations for a day of boating

Power island....8 miles
Old Mission point lighthouse........18 miles
Suttons bay.....20 miles
Northport......25 miles
Elk Rapids.....25 miles
East Bay.......25 miles
Charlevoix.....50 miles
Plus much more....North and South Manitou islands, Beaver Island, Bay harbor, Harbor springs, Petoskey, Torch Lake, Sleeping bear sand dunes, etc etc!

Kristy and I take the summers off and spend every nice day on the cruiser, baja, jet skis, so look us up and we will show you around!!!!!! 231-534-5060
Thats not too far from me.. I`m gonna have to look you up !
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds great! ANYTIME!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BZ
LOTO.....enough said
Absolutely LOTO. There's just soooo much to do there. My favorite boating destination hands down.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I plan to do #3 this summer (Charlevoix to Mackinac Island).
#5 would be cool to and you could go to Toronto.
I regularly run the Rivers and Lake St. Clair. Make sure you study the charts and stay in the channels. That is some really fun boating. We go to PIB a lot on week-days and the Lake Huron shore has plenty of interesting harbors.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.