Notices

led lites for engine bay.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done it for several people.

Swing by and Ill show you what we are putting in Joeys.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Truck-Lite LED cargo strips. Pricey, but really bright and powerful. The OPTX heavy-duty strips weren't available when I did this in 2008. I'd use them in a heartbeat now.
Attached Thumbnails led lites for engine bay.-p1010128.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

thanks for all the helpful comments.all good stuff,except for NORT.are you sober yet nort,il bet you have a hang over.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
msm
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Protected?

Guys,

By locating the LEDs in the engine compartment, where gas fumes may be present, I would think they would need to be Underwriters Laboratory certified as Ignition Protected, just like any other engine room electrical device such as starters, alternators, bilge pumps, battery switches, etc.

I did not see anything at the Super Bright Leds website mentioning suitability for marine engine compartments.

You might want to contact the manufacturer just to be sure.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by msm
Guys,

By locating the LEDs in the engine compartment, where gas fumes may be present, I would think they would need to be Underwriters Laboratory certified as Ignition Protected, just like any other engine room electrical device such as starters, alternators, bilge pumps, battery switches, etc.

I did not see anything at the Super Bright Leds website mentioning suitability for marine engine compartments.

Quite possible. However, the waterproof LED strips are totally enclosed in silicone or whatever. More spark proof than a marine approved starter.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by msm
Guys,

msm that is exactly what I was worried about so I went with these lights to be on the safe side http://www.seamasterlights.com/
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

C'mon now with the safety stuff. I'm all for marine starters and alternators, and running blowers in the bilge, but installing led bilge lighting stamped "marine" is getting a little carried away! Guys run high power stereo amps, horns, electric exhaust diverters, stern lights, freshwater pumps, generators, electric hatch lifts, electronic fuel injection and electric fuel pumps. These milliampere units we are talking about installing ain't that big of a deal.

I love when guys get all safety and uscg approve happy, and yet run stainless braided fuel line. Not only is it not uscg approved, lose you ground cable to the block and start the engine, watch the fuel line get hot as it acts as the ground wire for the engine.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
C'mon now with the safety stuff. I'm all for marine starters and alternators, and running blowers in the bilge, but installing led bilge lighting stamped "marine" is getting a little carried away! Guys run high power stereo amps, horns, electric exhaust diverters, stern lights, freshwater pumps, generators, electric hatch lifts, electronic fuel injection and electric fuel pumps. These milliampere units we are talking about installing ain't that big of a deal.

I love when guys get all safety and uscg approve happy, and yet run stainless braided fuel line. Not only is it not uscg approved, lose you ground cable to the block and start the engine, watch the fuel line get hot as it acts as the ground wire for the engine.

+1

Besdies, if you have that much gas fumes in your bilge for na LED to set it off, you already have SERIOUS issues!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 4 tube undercar kit,does all colors ,to the music,flash etc, for me its not bright enough,but looks cool at night/dark. prob going to ad some cheap strips as a ad on.The blue bulb and the blue/white/green make all the polished alum/stainless glow pretty good.

http://www.streetglow.com/Catalog/Undercar-kits

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtzqGvE7WPA&feature=g-upl&context=G25719f6AUAAAAAAAIAA[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails led lites for engine bay.-outdrive-1-14-2010-026-large-.jpg   led lites for engine bay.-outdrive-1-14-2010-051-large-.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

discontinued,dark pick

http://www.streetglow.com/SGL100MC?sc=2&category=2831

neon thread
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...eon-bilge.html
Attached Thumbnails led lites for engine bay.-led-lights.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.