Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I'll second the motion. We have a customer boat that I drive every year to deliver in the spring and then pick up in the fall. (502 Mercruiser w/ Bravo drive) The owner's son drove it once with me in the passenger seat after I'd done some repairs. He made a low speed, but tight left hand turn and I swore the water was going to come rushing in on my side. It literally fell right off the chine. He had the drive tucked all the way in. In all of the boats I've been in or driven in the last 50 years or so, none of them did anything like that before.
"Driver's boat" my azz. That's a design flaw.
Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Id vote that too....very wet as well.
As for the Donzi lean....its a design from the 60s....became obsolete when the 21 Challenger came out. Ive driven a 22 Donzi into the very high 90s, great looking boat, they arent known for their handling, theyre known for their looks.
It's not a design flaw at all. It's more a result of a true 24* deep vee with round keel on a small boat. They will lean and roll around a lot but can handle water that many larger boats cannot. I rolled mine onto it's side twice on it's first time out and never again! The boat will be in a very sharp angle to the water and will suddenly slam hard onto the side and then back flat. It's scary when it happens but after awhile you can master those turns and feel if the boat gets on the ragged edge and then just straighten the wheel a bit and raise the drive. It's awesome when you can master it and dip the rubrail in a tight turn and then raise the drive and port tab as you accelerate out of the turn. The 22 Classic is very predictable and reliable when mastered and the most fun boat to drive that I have owned. If you hit a rogue wave or wake at speed it always comes down straight but I cannot let anyone else drive mine because of the skill that it takes. There is a reason that these boats have a cult following and they wouldn't if there were a design flaw. I personally know of two that run over 100 and do it very well. I know of at least six that run well into the 90s. Mine will not reach the 90s. I am not aware of a single accident involving a Donzi 22 Classic but it can scare the hell out of you if you screw up.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Nice boat, love the color. I understand the design, Like i Said, its a boat thats bought for the feel, for the looks. Nobody buys a Camaro to take it around Limerock. Ive driven one to damn near 100, ittl do it...but Id much rather be in a 21 Challenger or something else with a pad.
A couple got seriously injured on our lake after they stuffed (and totaled....) a 22 Donzi.
To me, the rounded bottom IS a design flaw. The boat runs too high in the water and rolls on its side in the turns. Some people see it is a flaw, some people see it as Donzi charm
Either way, beautiful boat you have there!
That being said there's no way a 22 Donzi belongs on this thread....although they arent cheap...

Last edited by TeamSaris; 01-30-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I'll second the motion. We have a customer boat that I drive every year to deliver in the spring and then pick up in the fall. (502 Mercruiser w/ Bravo drive) The owner's son drove it once with me in the passenger seat after I'd done some repairs. He made a low speed, but tight left hand turn and I swore the water was going to come rushing in on my side. It literally fell right off the chine. He had the drive tucked all the way in. In all of the boats I've been in or driven in the last 50 years or so, none of them did anything like that before.

"Driver's boat" my azz. That's a design flaw.
Id vote that too....very wet as well.

As for the Donzi lean....its a design from the 60s....became obsolete when the 21 Challenger came out. Ive driven a 22 Donzi into the very high 90s, great looking boat, they arent known for their handling, theyre known for their looks.
Nice boat, love the color. I understand the design, Like i Said, its a boat thats bought for the feel, for the looks. Nobody buys a Camaro to take it around Limerock. Ive driven one to damn near 100, ittl do it...but Id much rather be in a 21 Challenger or something else with a pad.
A couple got seriously injured on our lake after they stuffed (and totaled....) a 22 Donzi.
To me, the rounded bottom IS a design flaw. The boat runs too high in the water and rolls on its side in the turns. Some people see it is a flaw, some people see it as Donzi charm
That being said there's no way a 22 Donzi belongs on this thread....although they arent cheap...
Thank you. I like the looks too but bought it for the handling! I did a lot of upgrades on mine and it's dialed in. It can still slam onto it's side but I have never done it since it's maiden voyage.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by notda1
Back in the late 80's I helped a local Citation dealer with demo's . They had a 26' Lazer with twin OMC 460's that would run 80mph . Boat broke 3 drives before it sold , and was falling apart a little more each time out . The new owners were so unhappy they sued over it . The whole boat shook going fast ......
I sold Citations for a while. One of the worst boats I've seen. Clearly aimed at Bayliner customers and you could assume that anything they could hide, was all garbage.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're crazy to put a 22 Donzi on a list of worst high performance boats ever built. They are built well, and if you actually know how to drive them/have some practice with them, they handle well. You can't just jump into the seat thinking you're going to get the most out of the boat on the first ride. The first time I drove one I thought it was terrible, but after some getting used to, I love it. Driving one is an acquired skill.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 180 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll agree with Johnny on both points. The Donzi 22 doesn't belong on any "worst boat" threads, but it is an ill handling hull in certain situations. I will say that the rounded pad and narrow beam leads to a very silky ride in some amazingly rough water though.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyS18
You're crazy to put a 22 Donzi on a list of worst high performance boats ever built. They are built well, and if you actually know how to drive them/have some practice with them, they handle well. You can't just jump into the seat thinking you're going to get the most out of the boat on the first ride. The first time I drove one I thought it was terrible, but after some getting used to, I love it. Driving one is an acquired skill.
I dont think anyone is arguing that, it certainly doesnt belong in this thread. They're a muscle boat. Way more Camaro than lets say.......Lotus?
The build quality has varied though, your is the nicest one ive ever crawled through, the rigging is nice, sides straight, etc. We have a customer with a yellow 22 with a 496ho that the stringers are pulling up in. It also handles AWFUL...you cannot get rid of the porpoise no matter what you do. Most 22s can be tamed, this certain boat cant. Its awful. Donzi should have really taken it back, but thats another story.
But Ill say it again....no Donzi belongs on this thread.
Next please
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The one that tops the list for me is a 20' Awesome....Junk!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, wrong topic
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha, Hands down the winner!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.