Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Again I will say Profile OffShore Performance Boats and anything Randy Shultz has to do with.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...=profile+boats

Look through this thread you guys that haven't been around here long can get a good laugh.
The old timers will remember what a chunk of chit he and his boats are.
Gets real good around page 6 or 7
Wow, just read that entire thread. What a POS Randy is! Wow!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
This could very well be the winner.

1988 Peterborough Indy 220 I bought new. 460 King Cobra package

I owned it 2 seasons. Total running time of 119 hrs from new.
It blew 13 drives. I think it spent more time at OMC than with me.
The seat bases pulled out of the floor 3 times and the seat swivel brackets broke 5 or 6 times each.
Cabin doors and frame flew out of the boat and sank in Lake Ontario. Oh ya, and so did the engine hatch.
Cockpit floor lifted from the stringers.
Dash flexed up and down so bad it cracked the windshield on the passengers side.
Swim platform flew off on the highway one day.
Steering rack broke free from the dash.
Radio caught fire. Actual flames came out of the tape slot.
Every screwed part of the boat came lose, repeatedly.
I think I replaced every screw in the boat with the next size up and then epoxy, toothpicks and the next size up.

I traded it for my 1990 Power Play and the dealer called me a week later to ask about the repair to the port stringer. I said no repairs that I knew of. He then told me the motor mount ripped out of the stringer with a 18" long piece of stringer still bolted to it.

Great looking boat but it literally fell apart as it went.

And just for ****sandgiggles, I was turning left one day with it behind the truck on my way back from one of its multiple warranty visits when one of the trailer axles sheered off sending a wheel, tire, brake drum and axle chunk careening into the door of a parked cop car.
That is freekin hysterical. I had a 1977 17 ft Checkmate. What a piece of garbage. The deck flexed so badly that I bolted a 2x4 from the deck to the floor. I was actually afraid to walk on the deck before the half ass fix. But since I was just a teenager at the time, I did have a whole lot of fun with that boat.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Again I will say Profile OffShore Performance Boats and anything Randy Shultz has to do with.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...=profile+boats

Look through this thread you guys that haven't been around here long can get a good laugh.
The old timers will remember what a chunk of chit he and his boats are.
Gets real good around page 6 or 7
Thanks , that kept me entertained for awhile ........
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Here's a story that you'll appreciate. The one I put the motor in was a rat. The pump was thrashed, I don't think it busted much more than 40 w/the new 340 HP Ford.
We did get the owner to let us replace all belts and hoses while the motor was out. We were by a local lake so we took it out to check for leaks etc. Lake had several water side bars so we of course had to stop at them to be sure it would hot start OK
Anyhow, the lake had a mile long no wake zone in the middle that we had to go through. I left the rear seat and bulkheads out so I could watch the motor. I'm driving and owner of dealership is shot gun. I look back to check motor and notice 3 or 4" of water under it. Owner thought we'd taken water over sides but I knew different so it was not a good sight.
Couple mins later I check again and it's now deep enough that the harmonic balancer has a rooster tail shooting straight in the air! Lake was shallow but we were still several mls from the ramp and knew it'd be expensive to get it up and back.
We made an executive decision and I put my foot up it's ass and headed towards the beach closest to us. Now water is coming FAST!
So we blow through the rest of the no wake zone, head for the crowded beach w/the owner standing up and screaming at the people on the beach to get out of the way! The boat is now heavy enough that even @ WFO we're down to probably 20 MPH's.
The people scattered right before I drove the thing up on the beach! It had so much water in it that it blew the 6" X 9" speakers out of the seat base and they and the empties bounced off the windshield just missing our heads!
Soon as it stopped moving I jumped out and cleaned up the evidence just before the man gets there
He assumed we were just a couple of drunks (that lake is known for them) and was not happy when he stomped up to our 20' jet boat on his beach.
I quickly explained what happened, pointed out the through hull fuel tank bolts as the likely culprit and his reply was "get that POS off my beach and don't you ever bring it back to my lake!"

Being a jet guy you of course know that it was the two cooling water supply hoses from the jet pump to the motor that I did not know were hidden under the pump.
So the faster we went (WFO the whole way), the faster the boat filled w/water.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Oh yeah, 1 more for the Switzers. I only looked at one close but is was scary and exactly what you guys have reported.
I wish I had a video of this, especially the part where your boss is waving everyone on the beach to get out the way.

Too funny!

Michael
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Funnniest part was...

Originally Posted by Michael1
I wish I had a video of this, especially the part where your boss is waving everyone on the beach to get out the way.

Too funny!

Michael
the owner debating whether to tell the owner of the boat or not. He was an extremely large individual w/questionable background and paid us w/a bag of cash if you get my drift.
I knew he planned to frequent that lake so knew we had to tell him.
I volunteered. The dude actually thought it was hilarious! I took him out and showed him the bottom of the bottom and that we had (amazingly) done zero damage.
Didn't make much money at that place but had tons of fun and stories.
We were one of the first to have the Winger water balloon sling shots and when bored would bean cars at the used car lot 3 doors down. Owner there was also a giant of a man and busted us one day. He came storming towards us and we all thought we were going to die! Every one else scattered but I stood my ground.
The guy looks me in the eye and then proceeds to tell me he was in his office/trailer looking at his dirty cars thinking he needed to wash them when all of a sudden balloons full of water started falling from the sky
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
How about the Bayliner Cobra
Yep,
An old girlfriend had 1 and we almost sunk that boat a couple of times, what a POS!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
This could very well be the winner.

1988 Peterborough Indy 220 I bought new. 460 King Cobra package

I owned it 2 seasons. Total running time of 119 hrs from new.
It blew 13 drives. I think it spent more time at OMC than with me.
The seat bases pulled out of the floor 3 times and the seat swivel brackets broke 5 or 6 times each.
Cabin doors and frame flew out of the boat and sank in Lake Ontario. Oh ya, and so did the engine hatch.
Cockpit floor lifted from the stringers.
Dash flexed up and down so bad it cracked the windshield on the passengers side.
Swim platform flew off on the highway one day.
Steering rack broke free from the dash.
Radio caught fire. Actual flames came out of the tape slot.
Every screwed part of the boat came lose, repeatedly.
I think I replaced every screw in the boat with the next size up and then epoxy, toothpicks and the next size up.

I traded it for my 1990 Power Play and the dealer called me a week later to ask about the repair to the port stringer. I said no repairs that I knew of. He then told me the motor mount ripped out of the stringer with a 18" long piece of stringer still bolted to it.

Great looking boat but it literally fell apart as it went.

And just for ****sandgiggles, I was turning left one day with it behind the truck on my way back from one of its multiple warranty visits when one of the trailer axles sheered off sending a wheel, tire, brake drum and axle chunk careening into the door of a parked cop car.
This is going to be hard to beat!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Yep,
An old girlfriend had 1 and we almost sunk that boat a couple of times, what a POS!
I remember a kid bringing one of those in for us to look at one day at the marina. He bought it (cheap) with no motor and wanted to screw something well over the limit to the transom. The Service Manager and I looked at it, looked at each othe in horror (totally rotted) then turned to the kid. "I wouldn't screw a bottle opener to that transom" were the words I recall the SM using.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think Renken ever made a perf boat, or it would be the winner...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread! speaking of Bayliner Cobra's, I felt my heart sink when I read how much this poor guy dumped into his!
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/2967771604.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.