Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

I think it's important to note that every single manufacturer has an occasional problem. Even the best have issues. What I'm looking for here are boats that were marketed as "high performance" and were just flat out junk - every single one of them. And if you were silly enough to push one hard, it fell apart around you.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I think it's important to note that every single manufacturer has an occasional problem. Even the best have issues. What I'm looking for here are boats that were marketed as "high performance" and were just flat out junk - every single one of them. And if you were silly enough to push one hard, it fell apart around you.
I gots ta know.......

Concords ???
Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thread. Lots of laughs.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Anything offered with a 454/Alpha or a King Cobra.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eagle....
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,837 Likes on 718 Posts
Default Interesting.

Originally Posted by 1980Condor460
I thought the same thing about the fuel tank mounts on my Taylor. Seemed crazy to me but it's actually pretty common. My Taylor, Condor and Southwind Jets are all like that.
Here's a story that you'll appreciate. The one I put the motor in was a rat. The pump was thrashed, I don't think it busted much more than 40 w/the new 340 HP Ford.
We did get the owner to let us replace all belts and hoses while the motor was out. We were by a local lake so we took it out to check for leaks etc. Lake had several water side bars so we of course had to stop at them to be sure it would hot start OK
Anyhow, the lake had a mile long no wake zone in the middle that we had to go through. I left the rear seat and bulkheads out so I could watch the motor. I'm driving and owner of dealership is shot gun. I look back to check motor and notice 3 or 4" of water under it. Owner thought we'd taken water over sides but I knew different so it was not a good sight.
Couple mins later I check again and it's now deep enough that the harmonic balancer has a rooster tail shooting straight in the air! Lake was shallow but we were still several mls from the ramp and knew it'd be expensive to get it up and back.
We made an executive decision and I put my foot up it's ass and headed towards the beach closest to us. Now water is coming FAST!
So we blow through the rest of the no wake zone, head for the crowded beach w/the owner standing up and screaming at the people on the beach to get out of the way! The boat is now heavy enough that even @ WFO we're down to probably 20 MPH's.
The people scattered right before I drove the thing up on the beach! It had so much water in it that it blew the 6" X 9" speakers out of the seat base and they and the empties bounced off the windshield just missing our heads!
Soon as it stopped moving I jumped out and cleaned up the evidence just before the man gets there
He assumed we were just a couple of drunks (that lake is known for them) and was not happy when he stomped up to our 20' jet boat on his beach.
I quickly explained what happened, pointed out the through hull fuel tank bolts as the likely culprit and his reply was "get that POS off my beach and don't you ever bring it back to my lake!"

Being a jet guy you of course know that it was the two cooling water supply hoses from the jet pump to the motor that I did not know were hidden under the pump.
So the faster we went (WFO the whole way), the faster the boat filled w/water.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Oh yeah, 1 more for the Switzers. I only looked at one close but is was scary and exactly what you guys have reported.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

look at what Too Stroked is driving. we are all thinking I/O boats. there is a whole nother category...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
look at what Too Stroked is driving. we are all thinking I/O boats. there is a whole nother category...
Dismal design and build quality knows no bounds! The one I'm holding back on was exclusively an I/O though. There was a "high performance" Bayliner outboard only model though in the 1980's. Very low slung - which made it less obvious when it slipped beneath the waves due to catastrophic chopper gun construction failure.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dismal design and build quality knows no bounds! The one I'm holding back on was exclusively an I/O though. There was a "high performance" Bayliner outboard only model though in the 1980's. Very low slung - which made it less obvious when it slipped beneath the waves due to catastrophic chopper gun construction failure.
They did make Arriva outboards!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,837 Likes on 718 Posts
Default I already said....

Cobra. ?? I know they had the Arrivas too but I think built one called a cobra for a couple yrs. Most had the infamous 5 cylinder Chrysler/Force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.