Notices

Solo Boating?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Chestah Cheetah
I might even be able to launch before noon if I don't have to wait on other people.
That dirves me nuts! My wife takes forever to get ready!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
That dirves me nuts! My wife takes forever to get ready!
+10000000
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wake up Saturday morning, blue sky, great forecast. Friday Night's discussion was all about how great the weather was going to be. Wake up Saturday morning. We have to clean this and that. I mention the boat.

About 1:30 Saturday afternoon

We START to head to the boat.

SHE SHEEEEEEEEEEE wishes we had started out earlier

This summer, I'm sleeping ON THE FRIGGIN BOAT FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

EOM
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

It sounds like a few of us are dragging anchors ..............
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Most of our boating outings are with other performance boaters. One day runs or a group will get slips for thew weekends. And then there are the poker runs and such. It's great fun to run with other boats and socialize.

A few years ago when I was single I would often haul my boat to the ocean and go out all by myself. The ramps at the ocean harbors are seldom crowded, especially during the week. I could easily back down the ramp, pull the boat off the trailer and tie it up, then pull the truck out and wash down the trailer without being in anyone's way.

Once the truck was parked I could take my time checking everything on the boat, fire it up and cast off. It was nice to be able to have the time to kind of play around with the boat and check things out without any distractions.

Once out past the breakwater I could run as hard or leisurely as I wanted, go where I wanted or stay out as long as I wanted. It always gave me such a satisfying feeling to go for a hard run by myself.

Even cleaning the boat afterwards was relaxing. No one rushing me or getting in the way, asking what they can do to help or (sometimes) messing stuff up. You can take your time, running your hands over every inch of the hull, wiping and polishing the stainless, checking fittings and clamps on the engines.

Don't get me wrong, I love boating with friends and family and getting help with the clean up but sometimes it's nice just to be by yourself and on your own time schedule.

Am I a loaner or does anyone else go solo boating?
Boating solo is relaxing. Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to have people around, especially if there is a problem. But going solo clears your head. I always felt the same on a motorcycle. It's just you and your thoughts. Either put the hammer down and go on a crazy all out cruise with nobodies life in your hands but your own, or take a nice easy going cruise and enjoy a cold beverage. Either way, enjoying boating solo does not make you a loner. I'm sure you work your butt off to have your stuff and sometimes it's nice to just go out and be proud of yourself
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Wake up Saturday morning, blue sky, great forecast. Friday Night's discussion was all about how great the weather was going to be. Wake up Saturday morning. We have to clean this and that. I mention the boat.
About 1:30 Saturday afternoon

We START to head to the boat.

SHE SHEEEEEEEEEEE wishes we had started out earlier

You hit the nail right on the head. I get up around 6:00AM and start washing, cleaning, and checking every single thing. She wakes up around 7:30AM and we still somehow never leave the house until 11:00. I will not ever figure this out or even try anymore. I have tried for the 9 years we've been together. I pre-pack everything the night before.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Did a major renovation to the boat dock and this first year I have been able to put the boat on a lift. One of the things I have been looking forward to is being able to take off work on a Friday and beat the wife to the lake house solo run the boat without my passenger seat revlimeter telling me to slow down every time she hears the blower spool up.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Registered

I spend a lot of time out running solo. I like having people along, but then you have to work around their timeframes/agendas, or them bailing out at the last minute after re-arranging my plans to accommodate.

If I'm solo, I leave when I want and go in when I want. Made many a day trip this past summer from Toledo to Kelleys for lunch and back, during the week (I work nights).
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Most of our boating outings are with other performance boaters. One day runs or a group will get slips for thew weekends. And then there are the poker runs and such. It's great fun to run with other boats and socialize.

A few years ago when I was single I would often haul my boat to the ocean and go out all by myself. The ramps at the ocean harbors are seldom crowded, especially during the week. I could easily back down the ramp, pull the boat off the trailer and tie it up, then pull the truck out and wash down the trailer without being in anyone's way.

Once the truck was parked I could take my time checking everything on the boat, fire it up and cast off. It was nice to be able to have the time to kind of play around with the boat and check things out without any distractions.

Once out past the breakwater I could run as hard or leisurely as I wanted, go where I wanted or stay out as long as I wanted. It always gave me such a satisfying feeling to go for a hard run by myself.

Even cleaning the boat afterwards was relaxing. No one rushing me or getting in the way, asking what they can do to help or (sometimes) messing stuff up. You can take your time, running your hands over every inch of the hull, wiping and polishing the stainless, checking fittings and clamps on the engines.

Don't get me wrong, I love boating with friends and family and getting help with the clean up but sometimes it's nice just to be by yourself and on your own time schedule.

Am I a loaner or does anyone else go solo boating?
Al, now that you've painted this idyllic, rosy picture of boating solo, and being the boating Lone Wolf, how in the h*ll are you and rest of us boatless people suppose to get a ride now?

Besides,

I want to see happy people with no else in the boat.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 04-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Great thread! I love being out on the boat/water solo. I like company as well but having company is not relaxing and can add a degree of stress to your so called day of enjoyment.

I love getting up early on a Sat or Sun morning and getting to the boat by myself. Prepping, cleaning, tinkering all while listing to the tunes. Then taking a solo cruise before noon when my family/friends show up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.