Notices

HELP ME, locate my dream!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ME, locate my dream!

Ok, might be a long post but you all seem to help me every time I ask on here

I have been very fortunate in life but still have not found my dream job! I love boats, lake life, women, motorcycles, and more boats. I am considering buying a marina. Although, I have not find one yet! I am wondering how many people out here own one? Is this truly a dream job? Am I just crazy? I would love to own a smaller marina with a few hundred slips, maybe rack storage FRESH water only. I don't like the salt water life! Sorry!

What are the drawl backs of owning a marina? Is there anyone who specializes in buying and selling? Does anyone know where to look for marina's for sale? Have searched the Internet but have only found high dollar facilities! I don't really want to spend over 2.5 mill. This market is very uncertain and I don't want to loose my life savings!

What are the do's and dont's with owning a marina? I would love to hear any and all thoughts to my post! Feel free to email me as well if you would rather not make a public post! Thanks to all who care about helping me locate my dream job!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

never turn your hobby into your career, you will hate your hobby!!!!

Good Luck if you find one those. A buddy of mine just bought a 100 slip marina here in Edgewater this winter with a house on it he moved into, he owns a pile driving business so he knows the ins and outs of the piers so to say.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered

I thought Big Thunder was for sale ?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I think most of the successful marina operators would tell you that the three "R" of realestate still apply for marinas, LOCATION, LOCATION,LOCATION!
My suggestion would be to find the best location and then research and identify the marinas available or the type of marina that can be built.
Dry stack boat storage always seems to be the most profitable and if you call up Marina Dockage Magazine I am sure they will send you a free subscription. That is where most of the industry info is as well as associations, annual conventions and meetings, equipment manufacturers, brokers and builders of marinas and dry stack as well as marinas for sale. Best of Luck

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered

Get ahold of Koolaid man he owns a couple marinas. He can give you the low down.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Damn, that saltwater hangup blows the options I have for you....

Good luck I hope it's a blast !!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Damn, that saltwater hangup blows the options I have for you....

Good luck I hope it's a blast !!
Cashbar! LMAO! thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyefountain
Cashbar! LMAO! thanks for the laugh!
If you decide you want to live in warm S Fla and overlook that saltwater aversion I have the perfect place.

Let us all know where you DO end up. The board takes care of our own.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Last I heard there were a couple for sale on Cumberland. Not advertised anywhere but on the market.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Thanks guys so far for the few replies that I have received. You guys rock! Let me clear up a few concerns that I see.

First off, I own several businesses in Ohio. They are not ready to sell or for me to step out. I do insurance claims mostly fire, water damage services. I also own a disaster clean up company. I am looking for a summer job with fewer headaches. What I mean by this is I would love to have a smaller marina that I could enjoy my gig in the summer and then work my busy season at home ( winter ). I can run my current business mostly by reports anywhere. I am very fortunate that I have good people in place that is getting it done. I figure I can pay them a little more and then I could find something I truly enjoy. I know there is a lot of seasonal marinas out there. This can be a multiple of things. Dockage, storage, campsite.
Would consider any of the great lakes, and many of the southern lakes as well. Norris, Table, LOTO, Cumberland, etc... There are a lot of options. Not only that I would think there are a lot of older owners that are considering selling and would love a younger guy with good business since to treat people the way they should when spending money with no questions asked. Just get it done and do it right like its your own!

I want something with very few employees if any. I can cut grass, clean toilets, clean property, forklift boats, manage the docks and so on. LOL... low stress and not a whole lot of liabilities! Plus, I am sure a little cash as well.

Cashbar, send me a private email if you would like. I wont kick anything out if its a deal!

Last edited by NORTECH-ANGLER; 04-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.