Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Notices

Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
my buddys think im crazy,but every time i put my boat in the water,i always open the hatch,turn on the blower and smell for gas fumes,then i start them and check for leaks,only takes a minute,and if nothing else,it gives me peace of mind.electrical fires can be almost as bad as a gas leak,but probibally less common.
Same here, my boat does not leave without a quick running visual check. Heck i would think you'd be crazy if you didnt do that. Only takes i few minutes
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
It doesn't take that large of fuel leak in an enclosed bilge to bring it to an explosive level. That's why the first thing that should be done before starting is open the hatches and do the smell test. If you can smell raw fuel you have a potential problem... Gasoline vapors even in small amounts can have the explosive potential of a stick of dynamite...after it blows usually the fuel lines are severed causing more fuel to feed the fire... This is a very unfortunate thing but it was and is preventable...
Absolutley agree that with the correct fuel / air mixture, a powerful explosion is indeed possible. Also agree that the smell test - particularly in the lowest point in the bilge where fuel vapors collect - is a great tool.

If you have a bilge full of fuel though, the air / fuel mixture is way to rich to ignite. Sometimes opening the hatch can add enough air to get you into the correct range to blow. Properly installed bilge blowers suck from the lowest point in the bilge and replace it with fresh air. One theory states that you're actually more efficient in moving air with the hatches closed. Of course with enough fuel in the bilge, all bets are off. That may have been the case here, but we're arm chair quarterbacking.

Here's my point on that being a fuel fed fire though. Notice the massive flames and black smoke? Black smoke means a fuel rich mixture. There's lots of fuel feeding that one. (And yes, fiberglass & resin are decent fuels.)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Absolutley agree that with the correct fuel / air mixture, a powerful explosion is indeed possible. Also agree that the smell test - particularly in the lowest point in the bilge where fuel vapors collect - is a great tool.

If you have a bilge full of fuel though, the air / fuel mixture is way to rich to ignite. Sometimes opening the hatch can add enough air to get you into the correct range to blow. Properly installed bilge blowers suck from the lowest point in the bilge and replace it with fresh air. One theory states that you're actually more efficient in moving air with the hatches closed. Of course with enough fuel in the bilge, all bets are off. That may have been the case here, but we're arm chair quarterbacking.

Here's my point on that being a fuel fed fire though. Notice the massive flames and black smoke? Black smoke means a fuel rich mixture. There's lots of fuel feeding that one. (And yes, fiberglass & resin are decent fuels.)
I agree were just speculating as to what exactly happened but the size of the fire seems to indicate that possibly one of the motors or electric fuel pump was running which would feed fuel to the fire after the explosion. That and with the hatches probably gone oxygen (air) would also increase the intensity of the fire.

Below the explosive or flammable range the mixture is too lean to burn and above the upper explosive or flammable limit the mixture is too rich to burn. The limits are commonly called the "Lower Explosive or Flammable Limit" (LEL/LFL) and the "Upper Explosive or Flammable Limit" (UEL/UFL)

For gasoline the explosive limits are fairly low with the range being 1.4% (LEL/LFL) to 7.4% (UEL/UFL).

Bilge blowers are much more effective when the hatches are closed but checking for obvious leaks before firing up only takes a second and can save not only your boat but possibly your life.

On a somewhat unrelated incident where it was a natural gas explosion in a home the question was asked to one of the fire investigators what the possible ignition source was. His reply was just about anything that creates an arc or spark from a faulty light switch to the pilot light on the water heater...

Last edited by fountain4play; 04-22-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Military Fuel/Air explosives are sometimes called the poormans Nuke.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Military Fuel/Air explosives are sometimes called the poormans Nuke.
Like the MOAB (Mother of all Bombs)....
Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

the propane bom...heard about that...
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is absolutely awful but at least they were not hurt. Does this happen with outboard boats as well? For some reason I always thought for an explosion you need to have some kind of igniter, spark? Are you guys saying air/gas fumes can lead to a fire just by themselves? Or does that usually happen right when you start the engine and you have gas fumes in the engine compartment? I'm really not too familiar that's why I'm asking.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On an outboard the batteries are in the bilge as is the fuel tank, get a loose connection to the battery and the same thing can happen.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a bad break. I hope his insurance doesnt give him a hard time, losing that boat is bad enough.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDoc
On an outboard the batteries are in the bilge as is the fuel tank, get a loose connection to the battery and the same thing can happen.
Very true!

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 04-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.