Skater Burns at Desert Storm... >

Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Notices

Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
Is it me, or are there an awful lot of tragedies happening with boats burning lately, especially skaters...

Have these boats had the tanks redone?

I was thinking about this the other day....the tanks could be leaking causing fuel to go into the bilge...I'm not insinuating but I was thinking about this, this is exactly the problems that were supposedly going to happen if you didn't replace the original tanks in the Skaters....I only say this because in recent light of the accidents happening with Fire, and Skaters in the same sentence...they all seem to be older boats as well..

Just a thought...and my .02 c
Now ya went an done it
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mike tkach
my buddys think im crazy,but every time i put my boat in the water,i always open the hatch,turn on the blower and smell for gas fumes,then i start them and check for leaks,only takes a minute,and if nothing else,it gives me peace of mind.electrical fires can be almost as bad as a gas leak,but probibally less common.
Plenty of times someone would stop and ask if i'm ok while i was doing my preflight checks . I run my hand over every connection , fuel , oil and water before backing off the trailer only takes a few seconds on mine . Once off the trailer i check the oil level before leaving the dock area for the day . Many times i found a little something that could have ruined my day !! Really sorry to see this happen to anybody ....
Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Plenty of times someone would stop and ask if i'm ok while i was doing my preflight checks . I run my hand over every connection , fuel , oil and water before backing off the trailer only takes a few seconds on mine . Once off the trailer i check the oil level before leaving the dock area for the day . Many times i found a little something that could have ruined my day !! Really sorry to see this happen to anybody ....
A simple check removes 99% of the risk.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought one of these!

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...de=fireboyfume

I still open my hatches and give a quick look but I wait that extra 30 seconds until this unit gives me the all clear. Just that extra reassurance! Other nice thing is you can mount the sensor way down in the bilge (in line with your staters) so you get a real representation of where the spark potential could be!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of problems occur either at the launch, or gas dock fill. Everyone's in a hurry, and most feel pressured to get underway quickly. This is especially true at busy gas docks. I'm barely in the boat before attendants have untied my boat. I ask them to hold on so I can lift the hatch, run the blower. By that time, they want me gone.

Many times boats have exploded shortly leaving gas docks.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
A lot of problems occur either at the launch, or gas dock fill. Everyone's in a hurry, and most feel pressured to get underway quickly. This is especially true at busy gas docks. I'm barely in the boat before attendants have untied my boat. I ask them to hold on so I can lift the hatch, run the blower. By that time, they want me gone.

I always fuel up with the hatch open.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Our 388 has Fume detector, and I don't really depend on it, always open the hatch, check over the motors and then start the blower 1st, then the motors.
On our hydrostream, I leave the battery disconnected, so to start it, I have to open the rear deck hatch to reconnect and I check the bilge and pump the primer bulb.....
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve

Leave the blower running while you're fueling for a quicker exit maybe?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

More pix a friend e/mailed

Last edited by Downtown42; 04-24-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I'm glad everyone is O.K.. Those pictures make me sick to my stomach. That has always been a fear of mine, even with outboards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.