Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im really shocked that doesnt happen more often, glad everyone is OK
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes, that's a helluva flame job... Glad to hear no one was injured. I know I'll definitely be more careful using the blower / airing out the engine compartment.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ This

Just curious what motors were in this boat....if they were carbed or EFI?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
^ This

Just curious what motors were in this boat....if they were carbed or EFI?
Carb
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Registered

Just wondering if there was not a fire suppression system in the engine bay? Seems like alot of $$$ to not have one...
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Leave the blower running while you're fueling for a quicker exit maybe?
You should never have anything electrical running while fueling. No radio, blower, etc.. Always a good idea to close hatches, cabin doors and the like.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

What's everyone approx run time for blowers before starting, I live 10mins from ramp and leave the blower on till I get there.......but I also leave blower on when starting engine
Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a fire suppression will work with the hatches open , I had one put out a fire in my engine compartment a few years ago . I belive it suffocates the fire , but not positive
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

I might be interrpeting the pictures incorrectly, but it looks like the hatches were open, the engines were not running and that person was busy removing the cover just as the fire started.

My guess is he had just probably turned on the battery switches when something electrical might have shorted, started an electrical fire that burned quickly into a fuel line, possibly under fuel pressure and Vroom, there goes a ragging fire. This may have been a case where fuel fumes where not the culprit but battery amperage and a bad short. Just surmissing here but the hatch had been opened and he may have already smelled for fuel and such and the bilge blowers may have even been running, who knows?

In any case it is very sad when a boater looses his boat to a tragedy like this and the only good part of the story appears to be that no one was injured. From those pictures if that boat had had a successful launch and was loaded with persons and was leaving the dock when the fire broke out, the situation could have been a lot more tragic!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
Is it me, or are there an awful lot of tragedies happening with boats burning lately, especially skaters...

Have these boats had the tanks redone?

I was thinking about this the other day....the tanks could be leaking causing fuel to go into the bilge...I'm not insinuating but I was thinking about this, this is exactly the problems that were supposedly going to happen if you didn't replace the original tanks in the Skaters....I only say this because in recent light of the accidents happening with Fire, and Skaters in the same sentence...they all seem to be older boats as well..

Just a thought...and my .02 c
I say blame the goverenment for putting corn fuel in fossel fuel !!There were no problems with anyones tanks until 10% Ethonal was added.. If your talking about the boat crash with David and Leon. Get your facts straight.It didnt blow up at the dock and the tanks were redone!!
Not many boats that I know of that you can run into a 8 ft high embankment and not blow up..
From the photos its clear that the fire started on the starboard engine.. Fire Suppressing would have save that hull. Shut the hatch and release the Co2 or any other no flammable gas..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.