Skater Burns at Desert Storm... >

Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Notices

Skater Burns at Desert Storm...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually the tag on a gas pump should say warning; 10% contamination, since there is 10% Alcohol/brake fluid/paint remover in it, Alcohol is a bad dude.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I might be interrpeting the pictures incorrectly, but it looks like the hatches were open, the engines were not running and that person was busy removing the cover just as the fire started.

My guess is he had just probably turned on the battery switches when something electrical might have shorted, started an electrical fire that burned quickly into a fuel line, possibly under fuel pressure and Vroom, there goes a ragging fire. This may have been a case where fuel fumes where not the culprit but battery amperage and a bad short. Just surmissing here but the hatch had been opened and he may have already smelled for fuel and such and the bilge blowers may have even been running, who knows?

In any case it is very sad when a boater looses his boat to a tragedy like this and the only good part of the story appears to be that no one was injured. From those pictures if that boat had had a successful launch and was loaded with persons and was leaving the dock when the fire broke out, the situation could have been a lot more tragic!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
ray,i agree,looks like electrical problem might be the culprit.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
I say blame the goverenment for putting corn fuel in fossel fuel !!There were no problems with anyones tanks until 10% Ethonal was added.. If your talking about the boat crash with David and Leon. Get your facts straight.It didnt blow up at the dock and the tanks were redone!!
Not many boats that I know of that you can run into a 8 ft high embankment and not blow up..
From the photos its clear that the fire started on the starboard engine.. Fire Suppressing would have save that hull. Shut the hatch and release the Co2 or any other no flammable gas..
Good chance that the hatch was laying 30 feet away.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I might be interrpeting the pictures incorrectly, but it looks like the hatches were open, the engines were not running and that person was busy removing the cover just as the fire started.

My guess is he had just probably turned on the battery switches when something electrical might have shorted, started an electrical fire that burned quickly into a fuel line, possibly under fuel pressure and Vroom, there goes a ragging fire. This may have been a case where fuel fumes where not the culprit but battery amperage and a bad short. Just surmissing here but the hatch had been opened and he may have already smelled for fuel and such and the bilge blowers may have even been running, who knows?

In any case it is very sad when a boater looses his boat to a tragedy like this and the only good part of the story appears to be that no one was injured. From those pictures if that boat had had a successful launch and was loaded with persons and was leaving the dock when the fire broke out, the situation could have been a lot more tragic!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
That is how the fire started on my Hydrostream a bunch of years back. This thread reminds me that I have to fix my blower motors before I drag the boat up to Maine. Very sad to see that happend to anyone, going to be a long drive home. I hope some one has some room for the guy to run with them.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Good chance that the hatch was laying 30 feet away.
Hatch is open and still attached to the boat according to pics. Bad deal any way you look at it
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
I say blame the goverenment for putting corn fuel in fossel fuel !!There were no problems with anyones tanks until 10% Ethonal was added.. If your talking about the boat crash with David and Leon. Get your facts straight.It didnt blow up at the dock and the tanks were redone!!
Not many boats that I know of that you can run into a 8 ft high embankment and not blow up..
From the photos its clear that the fire started on the starboard engine.. Fire Suppressing would have save that hull. Shut the hatch and release the Co2 or any other no flammable gas..
**** happens on these things, I was just trying to make a comment and I specifically said I do not want this turning into a who said who, just a simple, "hey, this was an issue, is it realted?"

Last edited by WildThing47; 04-26-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by notda1
I don't think a fire suppression will work with the hatches open , I had one put out a fire in my engine compartment a few years ago . I belive it suffocates the fire , but not positive
You are correct the clean agent fixed type of extinguishers are designed for "Total Flood" which requires that the space be as sealed as possible (Hatches Closed). This type of pre-engineered system is designed to protect a certain volume which is listed on the system cylinder. They are very effective with a flamable liquid or electrical fire but won't do much if you have an explosion. Once the hatches are open and a fire starts the only option then is to use the portable hand held extinguisher.

The one drawback to this type of Automatic fire suppression is that they are actuated via a fusible head on the cylinder valve which requires a fairly high temperature to set them off.

Some models also include a Manual Actuation Lever that is either electrically or mechanically operated that will discharge the system when operated. Most boat manufactures only supply the Automatic style without the manual actuation.

This is another reason that a good quality hand extinguisher should be within the reach of the operator in the event of a fire in the bilge.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I feel bad for the owner. That's a crappy way to start the event.

It could have happened to anyone, I don't care if you're Mr. safety expert.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
my buddys think im crazy,but every time i put my boat in the water,i always open the hatch,turn on the blower and smell for gas fumes,then i start them and check for leaks,only takes a minute,and if nothing else,it gives me peace of mind.electrical fires can be almost as bad as a gas leak,but probibally less common.
+1
Old 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 180 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, at least the front didn't fall off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.