cigarette hull or formula hull >

cigarette hull or formula hull

Notices

cigarette hull or formula hull

Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
You're right. I was having a brain fart. Don't the old 36s have a big beam? Or am I just making all this up
Artie,
You got that right brotha.... The 36's are wider. I honestly dont know what the model name is but I dont believe it is a mistress......
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 808 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Artie,
You got that right brotha.... The 36's are wider. I honestly dont know what the model name is but I dont believe it is a mistress......
I think the Awesome is wider - either 8'6" or 9'0"
Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I think the Awesome is wider - either 8'6" or 9'0"
The Awesome is a 35 Mistress hull with a raised deck..............
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 808 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
The Awesome is a 35 Mistress hull with a raised deck..............
Sounds like I'm wrong then!!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Formula vs. Cigarette...we're splitting peas here.

In a full balls out race configuration I lean toward the Cigarette. In a real world daily use with comfort for all aboard a concern...I have to lean to the Formula.

They are so close...even the new ones. I recently spoke with a guy who had owned a 382 Fastech and a 39 Top Gun with similar power. He told me that blindfolded he could not tell which was which...smooth water...rough water...top end or cruise. Any difference would be a subjective preference.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Formula vs. Cigarette...we're splitting peas here.

In a full balls out race configuration I lean toward the Cigarette. In a real world daily use with comfort for all aboard a concern...I have to lean to the Formula.

They are so close...even the new ones. I recently spoke with a guy who had owned a 382 Fastech and a 39 Top Gun with similar power. He told me that blindfolded he could not tell which was which...smooth water...rough water...top end or cruise. Any difference would be a subjective preference.
Not sure I agree with that, my best friend has a 353 fas-tech and lets use my buddys 38 TS gun for example, both ride great but in the riough stuff the Cig is better overall, especially with the rattles and noises alone, there is a reason Cigs cost more then double in most cases...

now again when comparing I am talking Lake Erie, not Ozarks or Cumberland... in 1-3 footers they will ride the same, we start talking Eries slop washing machine 5 ft high 5 ft apart waves you get your azz handed to ya pretty easily, I now have the mistress and I have yet to be on any 35 footer that compares in ride quality, not a one.... and I been on a ton of boats...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Not sure I agree with that, my best friend has a 353 fas-tech and lets use my buddys 38 TS gun for example, both ride great but in the riough stuff the Cig is better overall, especially with the rattles and noises alone, there is a reason Cigs cost more then double in most cases...

now again when comparing I am talking Lake Erie, not Ozarks or Cumberland... in 1-3 footers they will ride the same, we start talking Eries slop washing machine 5 ft high 5 ft apart waves you get your azz handed to ya pretty easily, I now have the mistress and I have yet to be on any 35 footer that compares in ride quality, not a one.... and I been on a ton of boats...
I yield to you on this because I have no first hand experience with either hull other than a 38' Top Gun in 4'~6' head seas in the Atlantic Ocean...it performed very well. I have also been on a 41' Apache that seemed capable in 4"~6' seas at 60+ MPH.

I repeated what a man told me that owned both a 38' Top Gun and a 382 Fastech Formula. These were both relatively new boats built within the past 3 years. His experience with both was during Miami to Key West and Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini to Freeport to Ft. Lauderdale Poker Runs. He also ran both from Tarpon Springs to Panama City across 185 miles of open Gulf of Mexico...round trip. I have no reason to doubt what he said.

My personal best experience in the worst of all seas that I have encountered..8'~10' breaking swells in the Gulf-stream bucking a 30 knot NE wind...was in a 56' Viking Sport Fisherman that never had me wondering whether we were going to make it or not....but that's a whole 'nother ball game.

Last edited by sprink58; 07-08-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
I yield to you on this because I have no first hand experience with either hull other than a 38' Top Gun in 4'~6' head seas in the Atlantic Ocean...it performed very well. I have also been on a 41' Apache that seemed capable in 4"~6' seas at 60+ MPH.

I repeated what a man told me that owned both a 38' Top Gun and a 382 Fastech Formula. These were both relatively new boats built within the past 3 years. His experience with both was during Miami to Key West and Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini to Freeport to Ft. Lauderdale Poker Runs. He also ran both from Tarpon Springs to Panama City across 185 miles of open Gulf of Mexico...round trip. I have no reason to doubt what he said.

My personal best experience in the worst of all seas that I have encountered..8'~10' breaking swells in the Gulf-stream bucking a 30 knot NE wind...was in a 56' Viking Sport Fisherman that never had me wondering whether we were going to make it or not....but that's a whole 'nother ball game.
it;s all good, the ocean and Great lakes are two different worlds too, it's all good, no issues...

by far a 41 Apache is the beast of all beasts, they are heavy and built amazing, been on them too... great boat!!