Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8 >

Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8

Notices

Need advise about buying this 88 Celebrity with an v8

Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the offer with the cover. It is a 20.5 boat and I believe yours was an 18. I think I might take a look at the boat maybe just to see what it exactly needs. Also why didnt you guys like the 305 v8. What problems does it have? Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jbizub5192
Also why didnt you guys like the 305 v8. What problems does it have? Thanks
One word: Gutless
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
One word: Gutless
Remember though this is a 20 ft boat and if the transom deadrise is 16-18 degrees a 5.0 litre probably wouldnt be too bad. Look how many boats are out there with 4.3 litre V6's in that size of boat! 1000's!!

Buy a moisture meter from home depot and rent a compression tester from O'Reilys auto and DEFINITELY/ABSOLUTELY take it out for a seatrial before you buy! People without trailers and dead batteries notoriously dont want to spend the time or money getting the boat running! Just know what you are buying before you lay the cash down! One time I bought a boat that wasnt running and it cost me thousands and thousands and thousands!

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 05-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/3018746092.html
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoatShow239
That is a much better option IMO. my aunt and uncle have a late 80's celebrity. They let somebody else drive it one time and ran it ashore. Broke the boat in half. They had to buy a new hull and deck and switch everything over. I'd go with the Formula for sure.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

No offense to you but most boats from the 80's and early 90's can be a can of worms bought currently especially left outside (put aside as an after thought).

Most new owners of boats like this newer realize that it might take a an open wallet to keep it running properly on the water.

Also no such thing in todays world as a 1500 dollar boat because you have to put about 3 to 10 grand in it to have something thats lake worthy.

I see this alot from most new buyers especially the boats that are bought from craigslist. This kind of purchase more times than not gives the new boat owner a bad taste inwhich then decides never get into boating period especially if its a family purchase. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Default As a general statement, BUP is right on the mark!

I have been very lucky with Craigslist, Ebay and individuals buying not only older boats, but old boats, but I am also patient and well versed in the subject and learning more every day.

Obviously it helps to know what you are looking at and what the upsides are as well as the down. What is time consuming and inexpensive to resolve as well as what is fast and pricey. Seems like seldom are fast and inexpensive in the same repair note. Naturally if you are not doing most of the work yourself, time consuming and pricey are always used together.

A couple of friends who do the marine version of complete, off frame restorations have me convinced it is almost easier to buy something that is a rough and solid, gut it and start at the bare hull and work your way up and out to rebuild the boat the way you want to.

I sent the Formula link to jbizub5192 because it is a respected boat with the 350 he seems to want as an option to what is out there.

In different areas there are also different concerns. Where he is, a concern is always how well was the boat winterized so there are no freeze issues. Here it is mud daubers and fire ants that think any opening available is an entrance to a new home.

Other variables; size, style, construction and the list goes on...

This is not jbizub5192 first foray into looking at a boat and he seems to be a quick learner... I think he'll be ok!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

I sold those in '89 and '90 and loved the things. Sold a bunch w/200 hp 305's too w/zero complaints/issues. Problem w/them at that time was you could get a V-6 w/a 4 bl carb that was 205 hp for less money. The 305 had more torque for carrying a load though.
I had a Vortec era 305 in a Z-71 chevy p/u and the thing was rocket and would pull my 24' Sonic like it wasn't back there.
I am also a huge fan of that style and brand. Their 19' - 22' cuddy was one of the biggest and best looking (IMO) in class. Bow riders and cuddy's.
With the sloping bows they made killer ski boats for visibility. That era of 18' bow rider w/a 205 hp V-6 was about as good as it got.
While I sold them we had ZERO issues w/any of them (other than normal new boat warranty fix's) and all of our customers were happy and fans.
Had one customer w/the same boat you're looking at w/a 260 hp 350 in it that ran low 60's.
Remember too, if it has a 305 in it now, it can have a 350 in it in 30 mins w/o changing anyhting but the motor.
I have been watching for similar and would probably buy if in my area.
Feel free to PM if you'd like more, 1st hand knowledge of that brand, era and model.
Gary
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Here's what it....

used to look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasVines
a 305 Chevy V8 was probably the worst V8 in the history of V8s I would not touch that boat for that reason alone.....hell it is probably one of the worst of any engine
I think the Pontiac 301 with the siamised intake ports might be the worst V8. Worst engine would probably be the Vega engine, until they got the piston plating process fixed.

I don't remember any particular problems with the 305. It just wasn't the most powerful engine around. I'd rather have a 305 than a V6. The 305 will be smoother and have more torque off the line.

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.