Notices

Outer Limits SV 29

Old 06-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Because when the boat is sitting in the water....the waterline does not go all the way to the front of the boat....there are a couple of feet (aproximately) of nose sticking forward from the point where it is floating....that are out of the water.

Chris
Right. I think we all know that. But all boats are like that. It's not really how boats are measured.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
How do you figure that. The notch is probably 6-10 inches at most. Subtract that from 28 feet and we're still north of 27 feet. BrettM said the boat from transom to bow eye was 28' - he then indicated the length of the bustle.
OK, I see what you mean. Unusual way to measure a boat length. The bow eye is very close to the bow on this model and I mistook transom to mean the rear of the bustle.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Its amazing what heresay there is here. The boat is 29'-11" with the 13" bussel included. Thats the facts.
Amazing discussion. The Vast majority of boat companies would market this as an SV30, and take no crap for it either.

On the positive side, if that's what's left to bag about, it's going to be a very successful model. Sales seem to indicate it already is.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Amazing discussion. The Vast majority of boat companies would market this as an SV30, and take no crap for it either.

On the positive side, if that's what's left to bag about, it's going to be a very successful model. Sales seem to indicate it already is.
Coast guard regulations no longer allow room for fudging.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coast guard regulations no longer allow room for fudging.
I wasn't aware the USCG had any such regulations. Are they listed somewhere?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I wasn't aware the USCG had any such regulations. Are they listed somewhere?
Let's stop with the tit for tat and continue to talk about the OL SV29.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't mean it that way at all, I genuinely don't know what the rules are. I was making a poke in fun at those that are now picking on length, nothing more.

I think the SV29 is one of the best looking boats I've seen in many years. Regardless of the speed and incredible engineering that went into it, I think it's a remarkable boat.

Obviously, this boat has people worried, or it wouldn't have generated the response it has. Those that have ridden in it say Phenomenal. Those that have boat brands that haven't changed their designs since Nixon was President, not so much

Personally, I think the general form will be one of the most copied in recent decades. I'll bet it has already generated considerable discussion amongst the engineering and design staff of many competitors.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Didn't mean it that way at all, I genuinely don't know what the rules are. I was making a poke in fun at those that are now picking on length, nothing more.

I think the SV29 is one of the best looking boats I've seen in many years. Regardless of the speed and incredible engineering that went into it, I think it's a remarkable boat.

Obviously, this boat has people worried, or it wouldn't have generated the response it has. Those that have ridden in it say Phenomenal. Those that have boat brands that haven't changed their designs since Nixon was President, not so much

Personally, I think the general form will be one of the most copied in recent decades. I'll bet it has already generated considerable discussion amongst the engineering and design staff of many competitors.
Ok gotcha. Sorry.

I actually tend to disagree. I actually don't know why anyone would purchase a vee bottom with a very small form factor if speed was the pure object. Obviously a cat will go much faster with the same power. Forget about this nonsense that Outerlimits is somehow reinventing the wheel and making vees "almost as fast" as cats. Cats are faster and always would be. OL is doing what appears to be some great stuff and I wouldn't detract from it. But let's not get crazy.

Vee bottoms have their advantages from a practical standpoint, of course. I love a great vee, as I've stated elsewhere. A vee might offer substantial freeboard, a generous cabin, nice cockpit room, the ability to stand up, etcetera. These are things you cannot get in a cat.

But the OL SV29 doesn't seem to offer any of these. The freeboard is very small and it's a sit-down boat. Therefore, why wouldn't someone want to be instead in a 28-30 cat that will easily be better in rough water, go faster, and be just as impractical?

If the SV29 had freeboard and was a true stand-up boat and it could offer such speeds, then I think it'd be a completely different story.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettM
Our 29SV measures 28ft from the transom to the bow eye. The bussle is 21-23inches.

I have around 10hrs on it and absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Performance Boat Center
I would believe Brett's numbers. I seems OL is measuring their boats to the center of the bussle these days.

The more I see this 29 the more it grows on me.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ok gotcha. Sorry.

I actually tend to disagree. I actually don't know why anyone would purchase a vee bottom with a very small form factor if speed was the pure object. Obviously a cat will go much faster with the same power. Forget about this nonsense that Outerlimits is somehow reinventing the wheel and making vees "almost as fast" as cats. Cats are faster and always would be. OL is doing what appears to be some great stuff and I wouldn't detract from it. But let's not get crazy.

Vee bottoms have their advantages from a practical standpoint, of course. I love a great vee, as I've stated elsewhere. A vee might offer substantial freeboard, a generous cabin, nice cockpit room, the ability to stand up, etcetera. These are things you cannot get in a cat.

But the OL SV29 doesn't seem to offer any of these. The freeboard is very small and it's a sit-down boat. Therefore, why wouldn't someone want to be instead in a 28-30 cat that will easily be better in rough water, go faster, and be just as impractical?

If the SV29 had freeboard and was a true stand-up boat and it could offer such speeds, then I think it'd be a completely different story.
Sorry I disagree :-)

I have owned a 28 Cat and I can tell you it does not handle rough water like this OL. Try going 40-50 mph in big waves in a 28 cat, you will get your ass beat and be all wet. The OL 29 handles the rough water way better, not even in the same league.

So the OL 29 has these benefits over a 28 Cat:

Better rough water handling
More cabin space
Way cheaper insurance.
Easier to tow and handle.

this is from my personal experience, I have been on the OL 29 and have owned a 28 Daytona Cat.

My close friend had a 28 Daytona with a single 650hp motor and it barely went 100mph so of the two boats that I have been in myself not sure the cat has the speed advantage.

So add as fast as a 28 cat to the benefits of the OL 29 V.

This is coming from a guy that said I would never own a v bottom ever again. Never say never :-)

You can tell I am a big believer of the OL SV29

MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.