Notices

Robby Woods 32 Skater....

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todayone
Due to the benefit label, this Bearpaw
christian louboutin shoes motivation might be the motivation for
Hey jack a$$! Put a little effort into making your spam make sense. This has to be the worst advertising I have ever seen!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby Woods
Hey guys I'm new to the offshore powerboat world and I've got some questions that I'd be very grateful for answers. I've been all over the map from a DCB to a vintage Cigarette and after talking to everyone in the business and how I'd like to build a boat I've decided there is no option for me other than a Skater. Peter has been extremely helpful and eager to work with me. I race off road trucks for a living and also engineer and build them at our shop almost all in house. We have a CNC mill, lathe, and waterjet so I'm going to do most of it myself. Peter has been the only builder seriously interested in reasonably facilitating my project.
So I'll be buying a 32 flatdeck widened 12 inches, full wrap windshield and extended bussell, to accommodate the Arneson #7 drives. We'll be building a pair of injected 700 inch donovan big blocks in house. Rick has also been extremely helpful. So here it goes, please reference the question with your answers I'm super eager to hear your thoughts. Cheers Robby Woods

Engine: I hear that tolerances are much more loose in marine engines do to constant load. What tolerances do people speak of and any examples. How loose?

Closed Loop: Heat exchangers, Who makes them, what do you think of them?

Water Pump: Who makes a solid pump and what are your thoughts on stages?

Cam Shafts: Are there go to manufactures that will sell a proven cam package for the marine industry?

Power Steering: What kind of pump and who makes the best? Or do you prefer helm steering? Why?

Alternators: What are marine specific alternators? How many amps are sufficient?

Exhaust: Cooling before the heat exchangers or after?

Over View: We're going to build the engines as I mentioned before something like a 700 inch injected aluminum big blocks. I am at a loss where to start from a marinizing process from pumps, accessories etc...A loose outline of this would be awesome. Also would you like to see them mounted further forward with trans inboard or rearwards with trans in drives? Weight distribution

Drives: Peter likes the arneson and that was my first choice when I looked into this project. I like the simplicity and lack of drag. Any pros and cons other than the safety of them hanging out the back?

Thanks again I'm sure I'll have more questions as It progresses Please be as detailed as possible and any thoughts outside of what I asked would be awesome!
I'm not good with all the technical crap, but I don't feel that this is the right boat and power to START out with. She's a great boat, but show her the respect she deserves. We don't need another RIP thread. Be safe, do the right thing, and Godspeed
Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey Robby, take my advice and listen to Rik and Pete. They've already built what you are building right now. My old '05 30' has naturally aspirated Sterling 588s and ASD7s. Why don't you get ahold of me and come up (I'm only an hour from Rik's shop) and we'll go out in my boat and see what you think. I can show you everything we did, why we did it, and you can see firsthand for yourself the results. I do agree with a lot of earlier posts that you are biting off a lot for your first high performance cat. I came from a professional motocross background when I got into high performance boating/racing, but I'm certainly glad I graduated from a 22' to a 28' to my 30' cat. I'm certain you are very talented, but as a pro, you know that what got you there was a LOT of practice! I honestly feel you'd be a lot safer starting off in a 368 with the same power - they are a lot more docile and forgiving boat than the 30s and 32s with that kind of power.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4AcTX6PbEQ&sns=em

Here's a video of my 30 with 588 ci naturally aspirated pump gas motors running against my friend's 36 with 730 ci naturally aspirated pump gas motors. Do notice how smooth the water was. Had we been out in the SF Bay or past the Golden Gate, he would've left me with no problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skater30
Hey Robby, take my advice and listen to Rik and Pete. They've already built what you are building right now. My old '05 30' has naturally aspirated Sterling 588s and ASD7s. Why don't you get ahold of me and come up (I'm only an hour from Rik's shop) and we'll go out in my boat and see what you think. I can show you everything we did, why we did it, and you can see firsthand for yourself the results. I do agree with a lot of earlier posts that you are biting off a lot for your first high performance cat. I came from a professional motocross background when I got into high performance boating/racing, but I'm certainly glad I graduated from a 22' to a 28' to my 30' cat. I'm certain you are very talented, but as a pro, you know that what got you there was a LOT of practice! I honestly feel you'd be a lot safer starting off in a 368 with the same power - they are a lot more docile and forgiving boat than the 30s and 32s with that kind of power.
I suggested he would be better off with a pair of n/a 600EFIs and 7s. Then he could put Whipples on them when he's ready for more speed.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flight club
I have 2 sets of 1500 Sterlings for sale. Quad whipple EFI and PSI with carbs. Selling cheaper than the parts cost to build your own
these??????????? Oh yea!
Attached Thumbnails Robby Woods 32 Skater....-1200efi2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a video of my 30 with 588 ci naturally aspirated pump gas motors running against my friend's 36 with 730 ci naturally aspirated pump gas motors. Do notice how smooth the water was. Had we been out in the SF Bay or past the Golden Gate, he would've left me with no problem.
jealous!! i miss my cat!

For Robby's questions wouldn't LS motors be a nice fit for a 32 skater?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I was there for that, I shot a similar video of that from the deck.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flight club
I have 2 sets of 1500 Sterlings for sale. Quad whipple EFI and PSI with carbs. Selling cheaper than the parts cost to build your own
Can you email me what youre asking for each set? How cheap is cheap? Sterling makes a great product from what I hear?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
these??????????? Oh yea!
yep. thats one set, the other is listed in the classifieds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.