Exclusive: Hustler’s New 39 Rockit with Mercury Racing 1100s

Notices

Exclusive: Hustler’s New 39 Rockit with Mercury Racing 1100s

Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 555 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Exclusive: Hustler’s New 39 Rockit with Mercury Racing 1100s

Hustler Powerboats is nearing completion on its new 39 Rockit powered by a pair of Mercury Racing 1100 engines. Check out the photos...

http://speedonthewater.com/new-boats...ing-1100s.html
Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well once this is done it should answer the whole argument in the other 39 Rockit thread about how much HP YPM's 1100's make.....
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

i could be wrong but isn't the merc 1100 a 1,100 ft/lb torque motor? what is the torque of the ypm? this will say alott about the performance
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

If you had 2 identically set up boats, same rigging, same drives, propped to be as fast as possible and BOTH rated at 1100 hp, one built by Merc racing and one built by Eddie Young- the Merc powered boat should be measureably faster no question!! OH really, well BEFORE the Eddie young cheering section gets all bent out of shape let me clarify something: As far as I know Eddie Young, and most other engine builders on here including Tyler Crockett, Dean Gellner, Dave Wesldyke, etc ALL use the dyno correction factor J607 which is more generous than J1349, the one MERC USES ALONG WITH MOST oems. to the tune of about 7%. So if Eddie or Tyler etc dynos a motor at J607 that makes 1100 hp , it would make 1023 hp on Merc racings dyno while the merc racing motor would make 1100 hp. Why do these guys use a outdated correction factor that inflates numbers, well when comparing dyno numbers to the OTHER engine builders IF they decided to take the high road and use the J1349 their numbers would come up short even though they are building a identical motor, just a fact and its probably not changing any time soon. Now, lets look at something else, Merc dynos with EVERY accesory on the motor as installed in the boat, often small shop dyno sessions are done without water pumps and alternators in place (mine was) and sometimes with dry dyno headers (merc dynoes with water jacketed factory exhaust). So keep these facts in mind when the mercpower lays down a faster number with same hp, Smitty
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Good info Arctic.

Both hustlers are sweet though!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

exactly merc claims some 10% more power than what other engine builders produce at the same ratings due to their iso9001 ratings system. also the merc 1100 has 1100 hp at 5250 rpm so it has a fairly flat toruqe curve and power band. without knowing the other engine torque numbers there is no way to compare but it is a know fact that the merc engines are conservatively rated in comparison to other engine builders and as stated as long as engine builders use the generous correction factor they will keep selling themselves short in comparison and performance results reflect this
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For whatever it's worth I think the only people that really give a rats azz about cheerleaders are those that spend way to much time trying to find them, so rock on boyz..

You look like first class awesomeness, and if I was a cheerleader I would some of you just for your wisdom alone..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by articfriends
If you had 2 identically set up boats, same rigging, same drives, propped to be as fast as possible and BOTH rated at 1100 hp, one built by Merc racing and one built by Eddie Young- the Merc powered boat should be measureably faster no question!! OH really, well BEFORE the Eddie young cheering section gets all bent out of shape let me clarify something: As far as I know Eddie Young, and most other engine builders on here including Tyler Crockett, Dean Gellner, Dave Wesldyke, etc ALL use the dyno correction factor J607 which is more generous than J1349, the one MERC USES ALONG WITH MOST oems. to the tune of about 7%. So if Eddie or Tyler etc dynos a motor at J607 that makes 1100 hp , it would make 1023 hp on Merc racings dyno while the merc racing motor would make 1100 hp. Why do these guys use a outdated correction factor that inflates numbers, well when comparing dyno numbers to the OTHER engine builders IF they decided to take the high road and use the J1349 their numbers would come up short even though they are building a identical motor, just a fact and its probably not changing any time soon. Now, lets look at something else, Merc dynos with EVERY accesory on the motor as installed in the boat, often small shop dyno sessions are done without water pumps and alternators in place (mine was) and sometimes with dry dyno headers (merc dynoes with water jacketed factory exhaust). So keep these facts in mind when the mercpower lays down a faster number with same hp, Smitty
Good information Smitty. I think the only person that would really care about which one of these motors makes more HP, or which Hustler goes 2 MPH faster, is Haxby as he could say I told you so. IMO, the people that have Eddie's motors are not concerned that the motor makes 1,100 HP vs. 1,023 HP, they care about how many maintainance free hours (300ish) you can get with Eddie's 1,023 HP (knock on wood). There is a reason that Mean Streak did not opt. for the extra 77 HP mercs., and I can bet that it had nothing to do with $$$.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
exactly merc claims some 10% more power than what other engine builders produce at the same ratings due to their iso9001 ratings system. also the merc 1100 has 1100 hp at 5250 rpm so it has a fairly flat toruqe curve and power band. without knowing the other engine torque numbers there is no way to compare but it is a know fact that the merc engines are conservatively rated in comparison to other engine builders and as stated as long as engine builders use the generous correction factor they will keep selling themselves short in comparison and performance results reflect this
nothing against merc power but the little extra power doesn't make up for the HUGE price difference!!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Smitty, the 607 correction factor is pretty old. I think most of the newer dyno's are using 1349 with a friction factor. Mine's about 3 years old and that's how it's set up. I think the automotive oem's are on to J1995 or something now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.