Yacht goes down off NY

Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so sad....kids involved....RIP
Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Registered

I wouldn't let 27 people on a 34' Silverton at the dock, let alone on the water. Something about 4th of July brings out some very questionable boating behavior.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glenncal1
I wouldn't let 27 people on a 34' Silverton at the dock, let alone on the water. Something about 4th of July brings out some very questionable boating behavior.
very true the fourth brings out the best
Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Was it overloaded??? You think? The owner of the boat has to live with this now too. SAD situation.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ng-3-kids?lite
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 96scarab
I bet if the owner/operater was a respected member of OSO this thread would have a completly different tone......
96scarab,with all due respect,are you kidding,no captian in their right mind would allow 27 people on a vessle that size at any time for any reason,except if those people were in the water and in distress,then it would be a rescue.if my best friend did what that captian did,i could in no way defend his actions,do you really think if he were a respected oso member,that would make his action acceptiable?i believe if he were a respected oso member,and he acted in this manner,he would no longer be a [respected member].im sorry,but i cant understand why you suggest his action is acceptiable,i believe he had no concerne for the passengers aboard the vessel.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

he had no concern, because he had no clue. it wasn't the 27 people, it was that (i will bet) at least half (the 150 to 200 lb half) were up on the flybridge making the boat totally top heavy. you put 27 people in the cabin and on the cockpit, that boat is still right side up and doesn't make the news. but the guy who blew by and waked everybody in typical drunk 4th of july fashion shares a partial blame here...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered
VIP Member

We all call the 4th "Rookie Day"... I saw a Regal downtown Nashville that was maybe 28'-30' and a 8.5' beam boat with 28 people Wednesday night. The swim platform was almost in the water from the weight! Luckily it is no wake in the area where we all tie up and there were no tragedies like this. The TWRA does a great job in conjunction with the Coast guard, USCOE, and Metro Police making Nashville's show safe as it can be.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
he had no concern, because he had no clue. it wasn't the 27 people, it was that (i will bet) at least half (the 150 to 200 lb half) were up on the flybridge making the boat totally top heavy. you put 27 people in the cabin and on the cockpit, that boat is still right side up and doesn't make the news. but the guy who blew by and waked everybody in typical drunk 4th of july fashion shares a partial blame here...
wakes and waves are a part of boating, Its solely your job as captain to keep everyone aboard your vessel safe! its horrible that children had to pay the price.......
Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
96scarab,with all due respect,are you kidding,no captian in their right mind would allow 27 people on a vessle that size at any time for any reason,except if those people were in the water and in distress,then it would be a rescue.if my best friend did what that captian did,i could in no way defend his actions,do you really think if he were a respected oso member,that would make his action acceptiable?i believe if he were a respected oso member,and he acted in this manner,he would no longer be a [respected member].im sorry,but i cant understand why you suggest his action is acceptiable,i believe he had no concerne for the passengers aboard the vessel.
Agreed..But shouldn't the parents shoulder some responsibility by putting the kids in harms way in the first place?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no fact of a blow by wake.
A 50 SeaRay doing 12kts will make a LARGE wake.

The LI Sound is open waters. A large wake could have come from 1/2 a mile away or further.
I've been out in these waters plenty of times. A wake will seemingly come out of no where.

It was a calm night. I watched the fireworks(from NYC all the way to Rye Playland, which is NW) from a friends house on the water.

Btw, from the article Warparty36 linked, the operator was not the owner. No mention whether the owner was onboard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.