Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins >

First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins

Notices

First boat debate. 25' single or 29' with twins

Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 27' baja right now and i REALLY want to go to a bigger boat, mainly for cabin space. a few things keep playing a huge part in me stepping up, gas usage goes up, maintenance double, upgrading perforamce parts double, how often the extra length will actually benifit me both space and handleing wise, bigger boat means bigger truck, higher insurance, more storage space, may limit you to where you can actually go... last 2 years the river has been flooded and we got stuck on local lakes that are not very big, my 27 was big on that lake but not too big. it was either that or stare at the boat in the drive way lol
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a hurry to run out the door to work this morning when I posted, here is a bit more on my situation:

-This will be the first boat that I have owned myself. I spent most of my summers growing up on a 23' bowrider and drove it for roughly 5 years until my family got rid of it, but have been on and around boats quite often since then as well. Im not 100% green though not experienced with anything that has twins or over 27'
-I own an F250 SuperDuty with the V10 for towing.The boat will be kept in the water all year except for winter storage, maintenance and when it's broken and needs to be pulled.
-Im a bit of gear head and more than know my way around a motor, have the capability and equipment to do anything short of machine work.
-Access to free indoor storage for the boat and trailer all year
Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

Really what id like is a formula 28-33 Sun sport, i have yet to see one that i thought was a decent deal though.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SnailblazerSS
Really what id like is a formula 28-33 Sun sport, i have yet to see one that i thought was a decent deal though.
What is the budget? And what body of water will it be used on? If I was to do it again I would buy the biggest nicest boat I wanted from the get go. Once you go twins it's hard going back to a single.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered

I'd probably rather have twins if I was going to pay someone to do all the maintenance. I really wouldn't want to be in my bilge w/ twins haha.

However, I'd never want something longer than my 28 w/ a single, docking gets very tricky especially w/ wind. Both boats have plus's and minus's, most important is what you want and that you survey it.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

$45k is my budget, using it in lake michigan primarily. I may pull it out and bring it to some smaller lakes or the IL river once or twice a year.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Sometimes when you are looking at more than one boat, the survey will make up your mind for you----
Jay
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

I've owned both of those boats. I bought a brand new 25 Outlaw in 2005, 496HO, Bravo X drive. It was great and brand new!

But I sold it and bought a low hours 1998 29 Outlaw with 7.4 MPI motors. I had that boat for five years and never had any problems with it. It handled the Pacific with ease and kept up with the fast guys (when they were cruising) and sometimes would pass them as their high power boats would break.

There would be no question for me which boat to get as I would make the same choice again.

The maintenance on the 29 was not much more than the 25. If you had blue motors in a bigger boat the maintenance cost would be more. But the package in my 29 was bullet proof and super reliable with reasonable operating costs.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
Only reason I'm not wanting to go bigger because I've got twins in my 25'7 boat. Go bigger [ 29 Baja] with the twins. When those 454's die ,you could repower with smaller strokers with equal power and less weight resulting better fuel economy. .My buddy had a 1998 29 OL and it handled the rough in the ocean very well. One caution with the Baja OL's is the balsa core hull ,so you have to have a survey on the hull and stringers. Don't ask why, just spend the money on the survey.
the factory didn't seal the raw edges with resin to seal or paint it. a few other boat companys didn't do this also. you would be surprised .as in hatch cut outs bulkheads under the floors, railings so on. go for the 29.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
the factory didn't seal the raw edges with resin to seal or paint it. a few other boat companys didn't do this also. you would be surprised .as in hatch cut outs bulkheads under the floors, railings so on. go for the 29.
AIR TIME, you made some good points in this post! Didn't want to scare the OP with deeper details about Bajas, but a proper [ not by someone the seller knows! ] survey is a must .