Notices

509's VS 540's

Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Pesonally, I dont think I run my boat hard at all, easy out of the hole, no wave jumping airing the drives out, I dont want it setting in the shop more than on the water. So as always I appreciate all the advice and input, I might start another tread as the build unfolds, Cheers
so basically, you just admitted to everyone that you drive your offshore boat like a girl
Old 07-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Ha! He told you mando
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

It all depends on the budget and goals.

Typically I'd say go with as much cubic inches as you can afford, but if it means $3000 saved from a rotating assembly can get you $3000 towards better induction, I'd say stick with the 509.

502MPI intakes are very restrictive. A generic statment will say max supported NA power would be 550.

500EFi intakes are better than the MPI's. A generic staement would say max supported NA HP would be 600HP.

Personally, I'd take a 509 with AFR heads, good cam, and a Holley EFI and intaked system over a 540 with a 502MPI intake even if reworked.

Meaning, a 620-630HP 502 at 5600-5800rpm will kick a 550 HP 540's at 5000rpm's azz all day everyday and still be close to same reliability. Even if those 540's had almost 100ft/lbs more torque at peak, which would be around 3500 rpm.

Why build a big motor and choke the schit out of it.

We need torque. No doubt. But if you have more than you need - ie: at those rpms where it would make most of your torque if WOT but you are just at part throttle, who cares.

As we all know, torque is measured. HP is just part of an equation. We are dealing with mostly under 6000rpm motors for the most part, so build it for HP. Your torque will still be more than enough.

Edit in: I'm referencing Torque and HP the way it get's talked about...not the way it really is. The way it gets talked about, as in this thread, is torque is power under 4k and hp is over 4k. Again, not the way it should be talked about, but it is what it is, and I understand. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 07-15-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
so basically, you just admitted to everyone that you drive your offshore boat like a girl
do you even have a boat

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-15-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Edit in: I'm referencing Torque and HP the way it get's talked about...not the way it really is. The way it gets talked about, as in this thread, is torque is power under 4k and hp is over 4k. Again, not the way it should be talked about, but it is what it is, and I understand. LOL.
Nail meet hammer! You forgot that torque = acceleration and hp = top speed.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Nail meet hammer! You forgot that torque = acceleration and hp = top speed.
However you want to look at it. I can look at torque vs rpm and understand it in hp. And I can look at hp vs rpm and understand it in torque.

Torque = force.

Hp = torque with the element of time which = work done.

I'm not trying to add a twist. I'm trying to be on same wave length so thread doesn't turn into one of those tq vs hp crazy threads that turn into people disagreeing when they actually agree.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
However you want to look at it. I can look at torque vs rpm and understand it in hp. And I can look at hp vs rpm and understand it in torque.

Torque = force.

Hp = torque with the element of time which = work done.

I'm not trying to add a twist. I'm trying to be on same wave length so thread doesn't turn into one of those tq vs hp crazy threads that turn into people disagreeing when they actually agree.
I was actually agreeing with you. Not sure if you caught my sarcasm.

As you stated, people usually call "torque" power under 4000(or 3500, or whatever) rpm and "hp" is power above that rpm number. Or torque = acceleration and hp = top speed.

Engines don't make hp, they make torque.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I was actually agreeing with you. Not sure if you caught my sarcasm.

As you stated, people usually call "torque" power under 4000(or 3500, or whatever) rpm and "hp" is power above that rpm number. Or torque = acceleration and hp = top speed.

Engines don't make hp, they make torque.
See. You see what I see. Thanks for letting me know your emotion behind it.

I believe the old saying throws too many people off.

Old saying being "Do you want low end torque or High End Horsepower ?"

I'm actually a fan of 'high end' torque. LOL.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

when you add a 1/2 inch of stroke your engine combination it has so much more balls EVERYWHERE , i dont care what kind of heads your running. you can get some reasonably price crank and rod kits for a lot less than a set of killer heads, id take the stroke increase anyday in a boat.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
See. You see what I see. Thanks for letting me know your emotion behind it.

I believe the old saying throws too many people off.

Old saying being "Do you want low end torque or High End Horsepower ?"

I'm actually a fan of 'high end' torque. LOL.
I like "low end" hp!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.