Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash >

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Notices

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad Bill and crew are unhurt - accidents happen ... geez ....
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Ask Boatme just how well the smoke on the water poker run is doing these days...........
I have posted so much on my feeling about this, (search you ill find a lot on here) and as time goes on i feel stronger that the canopied boats need to be on a race course not poker runs (I did not always feel that way) and that the speeds are getting out of control and a max speed should be attempted

Bob and I could no longer put on our event (Smoke On The Water Poker run) due to the lawsuit of 10 million dollars we got sucked into after two guys died at our event, and is why we stopped running it. After the suit was settled we realized that the way the Poker Runs were headed we could not continue to leave ourselves exposed to the litigation that would come if ANY incident happened again. As a result we have not restarted the event. It is not about right or wrong in a suit and it is not about “an award” it is about SETTLEMENTS and in our case that meant over 8 million dollars

Look at what happened in Key west on a Race course, and the lawsuits have kicked in (right or wrong it is inevitable) now imagine how it goes down at a poker run with less restrictions , more horsepower and even bigger egos

I know of an other accident at a poker run a few years ago that resulted in death, and the lawyers went after the guy that was running in the boat in front of the boat that crashed. They pulled him into the lawsuit and said his wake was a contributing factor to the accident. Right or wrong this guy (and his insurance company) had to defend his position and it ended up costing him a ton of money and he was in front of the accident. The bottom feeding attorneys will suck everyone in and acquire some amount of money from each person in the suit The more they bring to the party the more total money they can garner buy getting it in small chunks from many sources.

Safety is paramount, but second to that is self preservation, and had My Way killed anyone (Riding in the boat or watching as an observer) the Lawyers will descend and money will be paid out
IT IS A FACT

Poker runs are rally's not races, and you do not bring a race ready boat to a poker run and run it at race speeds (or most often faster).
You do not take a race car and run it at its full potential at a road rally either. Most of you folks have no idea what is about to happen, it is coming, (Serious regulation) not if, but when, so keep your heads in the sand.

Racing should be done at race sites!!
Speed trials should be done at closed course events (LOTO ect..)

The end of unfettered speed on the water is coming. I say this every year but one accident (who knows which one) will change offshore boating and poker runs forever

If you are interested in my many rants on this please feel free to do some searchers on line
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of open water up there.

I was heading up to Brockville but left A-Bay too late. The boats were on their way back and the only turbine boat I saw was Aquamania. I figured My Way was long past due to the speed of AM.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 395 Likes on 159 Posts

This : ....
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
It sounds like what some of you want is speed limits. Who gets to set these limits ? You? Me? Somebody that has never been around fast boats? Be careful what you wish for.
I happen to think 70mph in a 27 ft boat with a child onboard is to much speed
I see your point with speed limits. Perhaps all I'm hoping for is common sense. Its when common sense fails that we end up getting regulated.

No doubt, my 29ft boat doesn't run that fast with the kid in it. I didn't mean it to sound that way. My bad.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
It sounds like what some of you want is speed limits. Who gets to set these limits ? You? Me? Somebody that has never been around fast boats? Be careful what you wish for.
I happen to think 70mph in a 27 ft boat with a child onboard is to much speed
I don't read any of this as anyone wanting speed limits.
I read it as people wanting common sense.

Anyone that's been boating for more than a week knows exactly what comes right after a big fat cruiser with its nose in the air.

Luckily that was a boat with restraints.
Can't believe anyone could have rode that out in an open cockpit.

Glad they OK
Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 395 Likes on 159 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I don't read any of this as anyone wanting speed limits.
I read it as people wanting common sense.

Anyone that's been boating for more than a week knows exactly what comes right after a big fat cruiser with its nose in the air.

Luckily that was a boat with restraints.
Can't believe anyone could have rode that out in an open cockpit.

Glad they OK
Exactly !!!!! Common sense from both arenas is in dire need . Sorry but the cruiser captain reminds me of CommanderSanders' avitar
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie17
I see your point with speed limits. Perhaps all I'm hoping for is common sense. Its when common sense fails that we end up getting regulated.

No doubt, my 29ft boat doesn't run that fast with the kid in it. I didn't mean it to sound that way. My bad.
I will never run those kind of speeds and I will never sit with the spectator boats again (One close call taught me}
I'm just not sure what the limit should be ? 100 ? 150 ?
They all seem to fast to me, so you wouldnt want me to decide.

Sorry to keep quoting you...This is just in general
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

On the topic of speed limits only. It seems the insurance companies use 75 as a benchmark to set rates. Would that even be practical (or fun) on a Poker Run? .02
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
I have posted so much on my feeling about this, (search you ill find a lot on here) and as time goes on i feel stronger that the canopied boats need to be on a race course not poker runs (I did not always feel that way) and that the speeds are getting out of control and a max speed should be attempted

Bob and I could no longer put on our event (Smoke On The Water Poker run) due to the lawsuit of 10 million dollars we got sucked into after two guys died at our event, and is why we stopped running it. After the suit was settled we realized that the way the Poker Runs were headed we could not continue to leave ourselves exposed to the litigation that would come if ANY incident happened again. As a result we have not restarted the event. It is not about right or wrong in a suit and it is not about “an award” it is about SETTLEMENTS and in our case that meant over 8 million dollars

Look at what happened in Key west on a Race course, and the lawsuits have kicked in (right or wrong it is inevitable) now imagine how it goes down at a poker run with less restrictions , more horsepower and even bigger egos

I know of an other accident at a poker run a few years ago that resulted in death, and the lawyers went after the guy that was running in the boat in front of the boat that crashed. They pulled him into the lawsuit and said his wake was a contributing factor to the accident. Right or wrong this guy (and his insurance company) had to defend his position and it ended up costing him a ton of money and he was in front of the accident. The bottom feeding attorneys will suck everyone in and acquire some amount of money from each person in the suit The more they bring to the party the more total money they can garner buy getting it in small chunks from many sources.

Safety is paramount, but second to that is self preservation, and had My Way killed anyone (Riding in the boat or watching as an observer) the Lawyers will descend and money will be paid out
IT IS A FACT

Poker runs are rally's not races, and you do not bring a race ready boat to a poker run and run it at race speeds (or most often faster).
You do not take a race car and run it at its full potential at a road rally either. Most of you folks have no idea what is about to happen, it is coming, (Serious regulation) not if, but when, so keep your heads in the sand.

Racing should be done at race sites!!
Speed trials should be done at closed course events (LOTO ect..)

The end of unfettered speed on the water is coming. I say this every year but one accident (who knows which one) will change offshore boating and poker runs forever

If you are interested in my many rants on this please feel free to do some searchers on line
I absolutely 100% agree with you. In fact, I started a separate thread on just this topic. No takers yet.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-too-fast.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.