My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash >

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Notices

My Way Crew Confirmed to be OK After Crash

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axapowell
So for all who have said that 160 mph is too fast, where are you drawing the line?

What is the correct speed? If you say 100, then the joker who put together a 21' 1500hp that "can" run 100 goes out and looses it and DOES do damage to others including injury. Who's to blame? The driver, right? Probablly.

I'll ask again, how many boats were running over 100 in the run? 110? 120? 130? 140? 168?

Somebody tell me what the impact of any boat hitting a cruiser wake too fast and loosing it "could have been"?

Total speculation, and I'm sure we ALL would do our best to to avoid injury to anyone in the event that we were involved in a situation. No one would intentionally wreck into a crowd, hence the word accident.

My point here is this could have happened to ANYONE at any speed, anywhere, whether in a Poker run or not. An awful lot of finger pointing.

Dave
Thats where the common sense part comes in, if your doing the Bahamas poker run and its open ocean and you cant see any boats as far as you can see or better yet have a chopper telling you its wide open get on it. But if you see boats lined up 30 yards to your right and left in a small lane where they might cross in front of you, you might wanna slow down to a speed that you know that you can avoid danger. You cant put any one speed on it, every boat is different we know that but the law makers wont care.

But tell me this why go 160 or more at a poker run? Just cuz you can ? It's the only way to have fun ? Or it's not against the law yet ? There is no real good reason other than just showing off and showing bad judgement. Take the race boats to the race unless your scared to loose and bruise the ego.

I do see what your saying thats why its a boat to boat thing just dont go out and be dumb and hurt or kill yourself or somebody else just because you have the money or lack of judgement to do so.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Thats where the common sense part comes in, if your doing the Bahamas poker run and its open ocean and you cant see any boats as far as you can see or better yet have a chopper telling you its wide open get on it. But if you see boats lined up 30 yards to your right and left in a small lane where they might cross in front of you, you might wanna slow down to a speed that you know that you can avoid danger. You cant put any one speed on it, every boat is different we know that but the law makers wont care.

But tell me this why go 160 or more at a poker run? Just cuz you can ? It's the only way to have fun ? Or it's not against the law yet ? There is no real good reason other than just showing off and showing bad judgement. Take the race boats to the race unless your scared to loose and bruise the ego.

I do see what your saying thats why its a boat to boat thing just dont go out and be dumb and hurt or kill yourself or somebody else just because you have the money or lack of judgement to do so.
So why go over 30? Cause you can? What is the correct speed? What about 140? Is that ok? Bunch of guys running over 120 with smaller boats...is that ok?

BTW I'm sure it's wider then 30 yards where he was running. I can check it out this weekend, but I'm sure you guys who live right by there can verify that.

Lay off of the money and speed thing, just because he can doesn't mean you have to bash him for it.

Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

LubeJob42 doing a high speed run alone a few years ago. It was filmed from a helicopter out in open water not along a spectator filled river. The way it should be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qOE...eature=related
ed

Last edited by Interceptor; 08-17-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

So why go over 30? Cause you can? What is the correct speed? What about 140? Is that ok? Bunch of guys running over 120 with smaller boats...is that ok?

BTW I'm sure it's wider then 30 yards where he was running. I can check it out this weekend, but I'm sure you guys who live right by there can verify that.

Lay off of the money and speed thing, just because he can doesn't mean you have to bash him for it.

Dave
I see you dont get my point.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

This thread is filled with lots of speculation, finger pointing, bashing and some good factual information here and there. The bottom line is as follows:

1) No matter how qualified or talented a driver may be, at high speeds things can go wrong and when they go wrong bad things happen quickly.
2) There are no defined boundries of how fast you can run your boat when speed limits are not posted. The relativity of speed may be different for every operator and every boat. Using common sense may not always guarantee safe outcomes; just reduce the risk.
3) This sport we all love comes with risks. All power sports have risks, some more than others. As a performance power boater I've had my share of bad experiences...some of which were my own fault (and now instilled into my learning curve) and many were other operators' faults (now built into my extreme defensive driving habits).
4) The owner of "My Way" just incurred a huge expense. He didn't plan for this to happen and no matter how deep his pockets may be I'm sure he's feeling some pain. This was an accident and yes it could've been avoided..but we all get carried away one time or another when we get behind the wheel of our pride and joys. Let's be happy that no body was killed or injured at this mishap. Maybe this incident will tone down Mr. T's speeds in closed bodys of waterways (and instill some knowledge into his driving skill for future reference).
5) Poker Runs are supposed to be fun...but becoming more and more dangerous. These events were originally put together so performance boaters can gather together, show off their hardware and hard work, enjoy themselves while traveling on the water grouped together, vacation with their hard worked for expensive boats, bring families together, and generally have fun. Poker Runs are NOT races. With so many accidents over the past few years we should all be learning something...It's not the guy who gets to each card stop first who's having the most fun. It's the guy in the middle of the pack just MODERATELY cruising along with his buddies to the left, to the right, just ahead, and just behind, shooting photos, waving to the cameras, enjoying the ride with friends & family and mostly being safe, that are having the most fun.
6) No matter how fast your boat may be, it takes bigger balls to tone down your ego and run your boat safely than to bury the sticks to the glass. When you do get the opportunity to open the throttles and let her eat...just remember that bad things can happen quickly.. read the water, wear your safety devices and drive smart.

Last edited by JUPITER PULSARE; 08-17-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some up your point in one sentence, without any reference to My Way or it's crew. No debate, common sense, I get that.

Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Dave
I get axapowell's point. Everyone needs to stop bashing a fellow powerboater.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Some up your point in one sentence, without any reference to My Way or it's crew. No debate, common sense, I get that.

Dave
I never did refer to My Way or its crew in my last few post and in an older post I said it wasnt even about him, it's about anybody going that fast. And yes money has something to do with it because if they (anybody who can buy a boat that fast ).
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the correct speed?
it's a simple point being made here really Dave...

If we ALL, and as it's being said here especially those with the resources to run rediculous speeds in a recreational environment, don't decide that for ourselves as a community, historically your question WILL be answered for us by big brother!

I don't hate on anyone's money, or BT personally, but when the "above it all" crowd's choices in any venue ruin it for me a man of more simple means, I got a problem with that.

that is my concern and I believe it a legitimate one

you know how it always goes... somebody gets ahold of this cause (and along the River there's lot's of Albany connected old money hugging trees who ain't no friend of the perf boater to begin with) and it's MY GOD "we've got to save these people from themselves" (which you can always count on the gooberment to do...

and SHAZAM universal 30 MPH daytime speed (just like shipping!!) limit from Cape Vincent to Massena at the least

how Chillin' gonna work for that?

Just think, you and Peter can piss for the remaining years over who's 'toon does 28 and who's runs 29 LOL

Last edited by Rippem; 08-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Reading through this thread and others, people that want to participate and have fun in poker runs don't have to fear tree huggers and blowboaters, it seems a large percentage of hiperf boaters themselves are sick of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.