Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Runs – Are we going too fast? >

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Notices

Poker Runs – Are we going too fast?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought but with all the talk about race boats not being in Poker Runs was interesting that no one has mentioned the fact of Boat & Engine manufacturers selling race equipment to a consumer just because he has the money to buy one. We don't see Ferrari or Williams selling a F1 car to a consumer.

Don't get me wrong I love to watch these guys strut thier stuff and would get in any one of them, but maybe some of the manufacturers need to think about what they are creating. It's only going to take one major accident and some smart lawyer to look at the facts and go after the builders to get a larger settlement.

Hope this never happens.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the F1 technology is slowly passed onto the consumer, you just can't purchase the car. The Race Track is a test bed for a lot of companies before they "perfect" it and pass it off for the consumer.

People used to not be able to drive a Ferrari just because they had money, they had to know how to drive a stick and you don't want a Ferrari to be your first car with said transmission and look like a total fool. So they purchased other vehicles, the F1 paddle shift and transmissions changed that...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Does anyone have an update to MYWAYs repair progress or diagnosis ?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what i had wrote on this subject a few years ago

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ns-racing.html

Read this it has much interesting information
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default Interesting reading.

Originally Posted by boatme

Ironically, I was just watching an episode of "Boating in Paradise" which is the series that the Florida Power Boat Club does to follow their poker runs.
The most recent episode comes on w/one of their groups coming under a large bridge towards the photo/helicopter. I thought I was seeing things but being taped I replayed it and verified what I thought I saw the first time.
Their group completely filled the opening/passage under the bridge and what looked like a spectator boat was on course to pass under the bridge from the opposite side/direction. (screen right)
This boat had to make a quick and sudden course change to avoid a collision w/an on coming poker run boat. Wonder who those guys blamed for that
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Marc,

Sent you a PM a while back on this very subject. Your words were as correct and valuable then as they are today. Slowly, some people are starting to listen. It's a question of how much longer or how bad of an accident somebody has to have to wake everybody up.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Tom
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Thanks Tom I get alot of crap for my feelings but after being on many sides of this issue It is time we do somthing or we will be left with nothing

Sorry I did not get back at your PM i am somtimes bad at that, but I appreciate your support
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks Tom I get alot of crap for my feelings but after being on many sides of this issue It is time we do somthing or we will be left with nothing

Sorry I did not get back at your PM i am somtimes bad at that, but I appreciate your support
No problem. I fully understand how unpopular our position can be. One person in our club even went so far as to accuse me of being cynical. I replied that I was more correctly just being "annoyingly realistic."

I'll PM you my phone number. Maybe we can talk live sometime and compare notes.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
No problem. I fully understand how unpopular our position can be. One person in our club even went so far as to accuse me of being cynical. I replied that I was more correctly just being "annoyingly realistic."

Look forward to that
Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

Look forward to that
Whatever happened with the group/committee that formed a number of years ago that set out to bring some top level guidance for poker runs ? I think you (Boatme) was part of that group.
ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.