Notices

Is this just wrong?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Never too early to plan no matter how odd or extreme your idea may be. Like was said check with your family first to assure they too are ok with this, I know it's your life and blah blah blah but they are the ones that will remain here when you are gone and would like closer or a way to remember you in some mind.

I am 30.... I sadly have a full plan, a will, a plot, and a bench already to go.

June 8 2011 I lost my mom to a motorcycle accident on memorial day. She was all I had really, no dad, no step dad, no siblings. Just me my Uncle who we don't really talk to and my Grandparents who at the time were 79 and 94.

She left us at age 56 with no will, no plans, no nothing, or at least nothing that we were aware of and still to this date are unaware of. Talk about a pain in the ass!!!!! It has been just over a year now and i am STILL left picking up pieces and dealing with this.

We lost my Grandfather in March this year and he had preplanned everything. From his will, his plot, the trust, estate, and all. It took about all of a month to get everything in order since his passing and for us to be able to fully move forward in life.

So my advise is to plan everything and talk to your loved ones about everything. Don't leave people in the dark, and be open. EVERYONE hates to deal with this subject but trust me it is one that I wish more people would be open with.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Last thing I want to do is go through a motor. I've built enough of them over the years and left enough skin and blood behind to for fill that idea already. I also want one of my kids to keep my boat after I'm gone (being its 40+ years old now I would love for it to still to be in the family when it hits 100) and having a bunch of ashes run through it cant be a good thing.
I would like to be scattered on a little island off the coast of Maine where my grandmother is.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few years ago a buddy of mine's Dad passed and he wanted his ashes spread in Lake Erie.

I was asked to take several members of their family (grandchildren and all) on my boat at the time (250 Sea Ray Sundancer) to the site.

It was one of those normal Lake Erie days in late summer, wind about 20 out of the SW and about a 2 ft sea so I was sort of concerned about trying to raft up with the other 3 boat loads of family members and the Minister we took out to say a few words.

Got to tell you, I'm not a very religous guy, but we get out and on station, raft the boats up, the wind dies to nothing, just a nice oily swell, clouds part and the sun beams down.

Explain that!

His ashes were in a plaster cast with flowers around it. One of his sons placed it in the water, the Minister said his few words and we were all silent.

You could see the Plaster cast with the ashes take one dive a little under a swell, then a second and on the thrid swell he was gone.

I can't tell you how great it felt for me that my buddy asked me to join his family and provide transport for this event.