Notices

Why is LOTO so great?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only time I've ever been is for the Shootout.. Its only 3 hours from me so its well worth the trip. It's not too wildly different from our home lake (Grand Lake, OK) just everything about it is a little better. More ramps, better service, more water, better bars, more food, etc. When Miami is 27 hours away and LOTO is 3, its an easy choice...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOTO is one of those places that you have to experience to really understand. Anyone that I ever taken to the lake can not wait to go back. We have been going to the lake since about 1984 and have a home there now and it does not ever get old. Saturdays with all the boat traffic of all kinds can be real trying so you either deal with it or stay on the dock, which also can be a lot of fun.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

One of the things that makes LOTO unique is that it is not a Corps lake, which has a couple of huge benefits. Run by the Utility (Ameren), there is no flood control responsibility so the water level is as constant as it can be. No great swings in depth. It also allows for development right up to waters edge, with private docks, unlike most other lakes in the country. This development not only means houses, but a diversity of bars, restaurants, marina's, etc. You are never far away from something. We have been going to the lake for 35 years (purchased there about 10 years ago), and we never get tired of just idling through the coves, looking at all of the houses, docks, and boats.

Without a doubt, the best part of the lake is the people. You would be hard pressed to find a cross section of different backgrounds getting together as well as we do on such a diverse body of water. besides the performance boating, there are quieter areas for tubing, skiing, or wakeboarding.

Most performance boaters don't realize (or care), that Lake of The Ozarks is one of the best lakes in the country for fishing. A huge gizzard shad population insures plenty of food for largemouth bass, stripers, catfish, crappies and others. Many days, we will take the bass boat out in the morning to catch some fish.

I would also venture to guess that if a statistic could be put together that combined the number of boats, the number of hours put on those boats, the number of people on the water, and the accident rate causing injuries, that Lake of the Ozarks would not rank any higher than most other lakes. This is only my opinion, but I do believe that the "average" boater on Lake of the Ozarks" is more experienced than on many other bodies of water. Many accidents causing injuries are due to those not very experienced at what the lake can throw at you. I feel very confident in any conditions at LOTO (washing machine water at times), but I would not feel confident in big "Great Lakes" water. That said, most of the time Lake of the Ozarks is not rough at all, just during a few peak times.

If you have not been, visit Lake of the Ozarks, and you will see the charm.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lake is filthy, over-developed, overrated, infected with ecoli and full of morons who think they know how to drive boats..but cause more accidents than any other inland body of water in the nation.

It does have the Shootout...which is an amazing collection of Hardware once a year. That is it.

The fact that it is NOT a Corps lake and it has ZERO covenants has turned it into a cess pool.

Just because "Lots" of people go there, does not make it a good lake. "Lots" of people eat McDonalds, and "Lots" of people voted for Obama..this does not constitue good taste or judgement.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Bigger question was if LOTO residents hypothetically had other choices would LOTO still be their weekend destination?
What if S. Florida or Lake Havasu were 2 hours from your home like LOTO is would you bail on LOTO?

What is the one thing about LOTO that is undesirable?
We stated driving six hours to come in 1994 a few weekends a year. Picked up until it was every weekend the last three years. Then I left a 16 year Federal career to live and work here full time after my wife was offered a job at the hospital.

I've boated S. Florida and Havasu too, LOTO is still my favorite. You can't beat the prices, destinations and boats on the lake.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

because you can just say LOTO instead of Lake of the Ozarks
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

It is only rough in a 15 or so mile stretch, and even that is not too bad. Sure, some weekends are worse, but nothing that can't be navigated by someone with common sense.

As others have said, just one visit and you will be hooked. I drive 9 hours from Chicago twice a year.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

LOTO has a lot of options for everyone on the lake. If you have a family and want to go tubing there is a quiet cove around the corner. If you have some buddies down and want to go party, there is party cove and several bars and restaurants that are a good time. If you want rough water you can stay around the 3 to 26mm. If you want smoother water you can go to the 31 to 90mm. I think its diversity is what makes it so popular. Anyone can have a good time at that lake regardless of what your definition of a "good time" is.

My parents bought a place on LOTO when I was 11. Now today I am 37 and still go down almost every weekend in the summer. I grew up there, and my kids are doing the same.

I have been boating in FL and Havasu and have to say....if I had the option to be where I wanted, and all places were a 2 hour drive as LOTO is for me now, I would split my time 50.50 between Havasu and LOTO. Havasu is a powerboaters paradise with cool powerboats everywhere. You are not dealing with cruisers....cruiser wakes and drag boat alley is a blast in a fast powerboat. If I wanted to take my kids tubing or ride the seadoo I would choose LOTO.

For me Havasu reminds me of the early days at Shooters 21 when all along the docks were powerboats with the hatches up and everyone talking and looking at the engines and the boats. Now days the cruisers are what rule at the popular places and besides shootout weekend, powerboats seem to be a dying bread. Havasu still has the same feeling!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505
Lake is filthy, over-developed, overrated, infected with ecoli and full of morons who think they know how to drive boats..but cause more accidents than any other inland body of water in the nation.

It does have the Shootout...which is an amazing collection of Hardware once a year. That is it.

The fact that it is NOT a Corps lake and it has ZERO covenants has turned it into a cess pool.

Just because "Lots" of people go there, does not make it a good lake. "Lots" of people eat McDonalds, and "Lots" of people voted for Obama..this does not constitue good taste or judgement.
Wow, sounds like a guy with a mission. To your points:

Do you think there are more accidents purely because there are more boats? Statistics, if not understood, can be easily misconstrued. Look at the Water Patrol website. Take away the waverunners and you will see few accidents.

The Shootout is awesome, we can agree on that.

Zero covenants. You have done little as far as research, as most do when they don't like something. There are many, many covenants and rules at LOTO. Look up "cess pool", get some supporting data, and then report back.

Huh, I did not say "lots of people", but it is those people that make it what it is. It might just be OK that you choose not to go there.

Did something happen at Lake of the Ozarks to make you so negative? the great part about living in this country is that we are all entitled to an opinion, and you can decide to boat wherever you would like.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505

Nice try.. but I'm still gonna try to make it out to shootout weekend next year to Hang with you !! Are you gonna try hitting desert storm in April??Let me know !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.