Where can I find info on Cats vs Deep Vee >

Where can I find info on Cats vs Deep Vee

Notices

Where can I find info on Cats vs Deep Vee

Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V's are lighter? LOL

And they don't make cats with 330 hp engines.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fine 500 hp whatever.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

typically cats are 20-30mph faster than vees with identical power. For example I had a 28 Daytona with twin 496 mags (375hp each) the boat went 91, a 28ft vee with similar power will be 65-75mph top end. At cruise 70mph I got 2mpg, that would be basically wide open in a vee with the same power. If your interested in top speed and don't need to be in the ocean in 4+ ft waves on a regular basis get a cat, the ride, mpg, and handling are much much better than a vee. If you want to bang around in rough seas a vee is the way to go. I'm sure somebody will pipe up that some 28 vee is faster than what I have said, like a Donzi 28ZX Scorpion, which runs in the high 70's, difference is that boat has small blocks which weigh less. Bottom line get a cat, I have a vee now and I cant wait to get a cat again, somebody just needs to build a nice center console version.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pstorti
typically cats are 20-30mph faster than vees with identical power. For example I had a 28 Daytona with twin 496 mags (375hp each) the boat went 91, a 28ft vee with similar power will be 65-75mph top end. At cruise 70mph I got 2mpg, that would be basically wide open in a vee with the same power. If your interested in top speed and don't need to be in the ocean in 4+ ft waves on a regular basis get a cat, the ride, mpg, and handling are much much better than a vee. If you want to bang around in rough seas a vee is the way to go. I'm sure somebody will pipe up that some 28 vee is faster than what I have said, like a Donzi 28ZX Scorpion, which runs in the high 70's, difference is that boat has small blocks which weigh less. Bottom line get a cat, I have a vee now and I cant wait to get a cat again, somebody just needs to build a nice center console version.
Best answer yet.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have owned both, I had 25' Vee that had a 496HO and now I have a 27' cat with the same power. The vee ran about 68-69 and my cat runs 70-73. After owning both styles I will never own a Vee again.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyrus77
I would like to kknow the difference in speed, ie two 30' one Deep Vee one Cat both with a pair of 330 horse engines each and compare the top speed.
Not to me a smart a$$ but this is the only analogy that came to mind..

Without comparing specific models, its like asking what is the difference between red cars and blue trucks......

What I mean is there are many different V-Hull designs and speeds can vary greatly based on hull design and weight with equal power. A 32' Baja with a traditional V-Hull with heavy construction will be much slower than 32' Velocity with lighter constructionan pad bottom. Now add steps (number of steps), etc. Same with Cats, Skaters, DCB, Eliminators, all use different methods of hul design and construction, therefore they all will have different speeds and handeling.

Your question of what is the difference between a v-hull and a cat with equal power is too vauge.. Like asking whats the difference between a red car and a blue truck..

There are many people on this board with great knowledge of the different brands and designs. If you ask a more specific question, I am sure you will get better more specific answers.

Last edited by low_psi; 09-13-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Like many people here, I have owned both & after 25 years, I love cats. But I suggest you start out in a vee. It is cheaper and a safer way to cut your teeth before you break into the 100MPH+ club of cats. But the cat ride is so much better on your butt.....
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Man , them sound like fightin' words........
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Registered

Default Cat and V Hulls

Remember Cats come in either Full Tunnel (Skater, MTI, Nortect) or Center Sponson (Talon, Eliminator, DCB) . Center Sponson is not as good as a full tunnel in Rough Water other wise not much difference. V Huills come in either Stepped Hull (betwen 1 and 4 steps sometimes) and they handle differently especially in and out of turns). I have owned 2 Big v's (Formula 382 and 37' Outlerlimts)
and now a 36 Skater. I enjoyed the V Hulls because of the Cabin and overall comfort when sitting still but to me the Cat is just way more fun in every aspect of driving a boat except maybe in rough Ocean Conditions. I like the advice provided above start with a V Hull with a Stepped Hull. Don't be afraid of a Stepped Hull just learn to drive one correctly. A Stepped Hull normally is faster than a Non Stepped hull with the same power by 10% or more. Have fun
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have not had a few boats insured over a 5 year period you won't get insurance on a cat. So the choice may be easy for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.